A few concept art sketches regarding notifications

Hey guys! Today I took some time to draw some concept sketches for a Window's Phone notification center.

The key criteria for the notification center is that it has to be accessible from anywhere. No matter which app one may be browsing, notifications must be one tap away.

The only interface that is already accessible throughout the entire OS is the volume rocker that comes down from the top when you tap the volume controls. It only makes sense to integrate notifications into the phone through this portal. The way this would be done is by adding a "drawer" like we are all familiar with. The three dots (...) would be added to the volume rocker to give access to a fullscreen notification center I called "Updates." The Updates panel would act like the drawers do on the app bars located on the bottom of most apps.

After the updates slide down, text, phone calls, facebook, email, twitter and more will give at a glance information and a simple tap will bring you into the specific app.

If you will notice the cog gear in the updates panel, that will give access to a few "quick settings" such as wifi, bluetooth, airplane mode, orientation lock, and a brightness slider. After you tap the settings cog, the Updates panel will flip over revealing the quick settings on the back of the card.

When I had the idea of the brightness slider, it made me realize a volume slider is missing from the OS. I added a volume slider to the volume controls by a tap of the fraction (eg. 11/30). The volume slider covers up the playback controls when activated.

The last addition you can notice in the sketches, is that information like time, battery, and signal have been added to the volume controls. Now you can check the time while playing Angry Birds!

Please take some time to look over the sketches below, and provide me your feedback! Thanks for your time! :)

windowsphoneconcepts0001.jpg

• Like 2

The last addition you can notice in the sketches, is that information like time, battery, and signal have been added to the volume controls. Now you can check the time while playing Angry Birds!

This is simple and truly smart. I could also use this for my iPod Touch. While playing games, and using other full-screen apps.

how about instead of adding a button to flip to quick settings which doesn't feel native to WP7, you could make it so that if the user swipes left the quick settings page slides in (just like each and every navigation implemented in WP7). It would give it a more native feeling and it would be more intuitive :) gr8 idea BTW (Y)

Anybody noticed that in his drawings the song that is supposed to be playing is Never gonna give you up from Rick Astley :)

Golden Oldie :)

Maybe the thread is an elaborate Rick Roll?

Wow, thanks for the responses everybody! I like the idea of making the notifications/ settings panels just a flick away from each other. A panoramic-type view would be an easy way to handle this.

I'd be interested in playing with it on my Trophy7. Looks like a great idea.

The only thing I have going with it is I can't see a "dumb joe" user associating notifications with the audio rocker

Wow, thanks for the responses everybody! I like the idea of making the notifications/ settings panels just a flick away from each other. A panoramic-type view would be an easy way to handle this.

I like the concept but I'm not sure how I feel about having to hit the volume button first and then hit the ellipse. It makes it feel like its tucked away and hidden. As we know, tapping the top of the phone brings down the status indicators. Perhaps a long press or a full on swipe to make the tray appear? I know that it won't be as obvious that you can do it but it would provide a direct means of accessing it.

Another idea would be to long press a notification. I feel that would be a straight forward approach to invoking it. Also, i don't see why there couldn't be multiple ways of doing it. We could swipe down, long press a notification and have an ellipse in the volume area.