New AV receiver. Recommendations needed

My dad is looking to change his AV receiver to something more recent. He has an old Haman/kardon AVR35 that can't even decode DTS, only Dolby Digital. He asked me to provide him with some good models, but I'm clueless in that department, so I come here!

Must have:

- able to decode DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD

- have 1 optical and 1 coaxial inputs (or more)

- have at least 3 hdmi inputs

- control of the sub

I also read somewhere that some AVs don't output the sound over hdmi to the tv, is that true? That would be nice if the AV would output the sound. Also, he has a 5.1 system, so a 7.1 AV is not required, BUT one would think the best sound quality would be in 7.1 receivers? 3D, he doesn't care. Price tag; around 500-600$ (CAD).

Let me know if you need other information!

I just purchased a Denon after several years with a shanty 5.1 JVC....Denon good.

AVR1912 (7.1 @ 90w/channel) for $530

http://www.bestbuy.c...0cf428ad5c8en02

AVR1712 (7.1 @ 90w/channel) for $400

http://www.futuresho...4082b586a3een02

AVR1612 (5.1 @ 75w/channel) for $350

http://www.bestbuy.c...8c358685952en02

My pick? The 1712 as it is only $50 more than the 1612 with added watts and 7.1 while it is $130 cheaper than the 1912 which contains very few extra features for the price.

Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer and Sony are the brands to look at.

+1 for Onkyo - good mid-range receivers, lots of features. I personally have the 809 which is currently on Amazon for $697, just out of your budget. The 709 is listed at $550 - (only major difference is 110 watts vs 135 watts). It meets all the features you want, has a nice set of network features for DNLA and pretty much all of the internet music services. Has apps for IOS/Android for streaming music and limited remote controls.

Denon is a great brand but you will pay a little extra for it, I think in your price range you should be safe choosing Onkyo or Denon.

As far as your question regarding the audio over HDMI - luckily most of those receviers are the low end $100-$200 receivers and are slowly being phased out. All of the above receivers mentioned will be able to do 1080p video and the HD audio codecs via HDMI.

@jerzdawg: The Onkyo TX-NR709 you mentionnend looks like a sweet machine, but it's way out of his budget. It's around 1000$ here! Amazon can't ship to my address either.

@sanke1: He already has the speakers and sub, so there's no need for that.

The Denon AVR1912 is interesting. The 2112cl is even better, but I'm not sure I can convince him at 700-750$..

Some have mentionned Pioneer, Yamaha and Integra, do you have specific model numbers in mind? Also, is there a more affortable Onkyo AV receiver that can deliver?

These fall broadly into your price range, and would all be worth auditioning

Onkyo/Integra TX-NR609

Pioneer VSX-1020

Denon AVR-1912

Yamaha RXV671

Onkyo/Integra TX-NR609

Pioneer VSX-1020

Denon AVR-1912

Yamaha RXV671

If these are indeed in his price range, I personally own the Onkyo TX-NR609, I can confirm it is a bad ass little receiver.

In fact, jerzdawg who posted above and I can tell you knows a thing or two about receivers, is actually my good friend in real life, and he helped me pick it out the day I purchased it, and for the price, i could not be happier with it. it handles all of my audio and video via HDMI. Literally have my Cable Box, 360, PS3, and recently my computer, all hooked up via HDMI in, with one single HDMI out to my Sony TV, and it works like a dream. Highly recommend it if it is indeed in the price range.

I also have an Onkyo receiver, slightly older and more expensive TX-SR876 (3 years old now, in the ?1000 price bracket) and indeed it is awesome, but it does run a little hot for my liking - don't know if they have sorted that problem out in the last 3 years.

The Onkyo TX-NR609 is VERY tempting! Only 530$ at NCIX. I will seriously look more into it. Thanks for the recommendations.

No problem, and truly you cannot go wrong with it. In fact I would say it has exceeded my expecations.

The Onkyo TX-NR609 is VERY tempting! Only 530$ at NCIX. I will seriously look more into it. Thanks for the recommendations.

The 609 is your best bet then. There is not much of a difference between the 609/709 just an extra hdmi port and 100 watts vs 110 watts and maybe a few extra features. My first receiver was the 606 and it was still going strong when I sold it on Craigslist. As dl said its a great receiver and is a good value. Any Yamaha receiver I knew was higher end, can't speak for the entry-mid level quality vs price.

Onkyo/Integra TX-NR609

Pioneer VSX-1020

Denon AVR-1912

Yamaha RXV671

I have the Yamaha RXV671 and it is VERY nice and powerful. Lots of features, yet easy to setup for a newb like me when it comes to receivers.

ETA - I also got it for $399m a smokin' deal I think

The Onkyo 609 will be a great receiver for him. I had a 608 for about a year and a half and it served me very well and I was extremely happy with it. I recently upgraded to the 3009 and sold the 608 to my friend for a couple bucks. It's still going nice and strong.