acquiring network address stuck on wired xp desktop

my friends desktop is running xp and has a onboard nforce nic. he said one day the internet stopped working so I checked it out, its stuck on acquiring network address. I disabled and re enabled the nic in device manager, I also uninstalled the device from the device manager and let windows reinstall the driver. I ran the "create a new connection" and "set up a home or small office network" wizards. nothing has done the trick. I tried to repair the connection, it said nothing was wrong, also the properties for the nic in device mananger said its working ok.

any ideas?

Try setting it to a static address based on the info u get from ipconfig /all, and set the default gateway with metric value 1.

Yup could be something wrong with the dhcp server, which is why its not getting an address. Reset that or as suggested setup a static.

Also remember that the PC can only test it's side of the nic. If there is a problem with the cable side of the nic it will not show a problem.

dhcp server would be the router. Unless he is running it on something else -- but since he has to ask for help in something as basic as not getting an ip? Then I would have to assume its his router ;)

dhcp server would be the router. Unless he is running it on something else -- but since he has to ask for help in something as basic as not getting an ip? Then I would have to assume its his router ;)

the router is giving out internet via wifi, I havn't had another machine I can hook up hard wired to see if its the computer or router. the computer can't see the router, I can't get to 192.168.1.1, i could if I were connected via wifi though.

Have you checked if the router is seeing the PC via the routers configuration page using your wireless connection?

Try another network cable

Try another port on the router

Have you disabled the pcs firewall to see if thats blocking the connection?

• Like 1

the router is giving out internet via wifi, I havn't had another machine I can hook up hard wired to see if its the computer or router. the computer can't see the router, I can't get to 192.168.1.1, i could if I were connected via wifi though.

Just unplug and plug back it, that will reset the router or in your case the DHCP server.

You really really need to connect with a wire for troubleshooting -- it very well could be a wifi issue, not dhcp issue.

I would connect to the router with wire if it does not clear up by just pulling the power plug on the router and plugging it back it. So you can verify the wifi settings -- try changing them to OPEN for testing... Once you have that working then put back your security settings - WPA2 would be the suggested level.

Have you checked if the router is seeing the PC via the routers configuration page using your wireless connection?

Try another network cable

Try another port on the router

Have you disabled the pcs firewall to see if thats blocking the connection?

I havn't tried to check the configuration page, the last 3 were things I tried first.

Just unplug and plug back it, that will reset the router or in your case the DHCP server.

that is the first thing I tried.

You really really need to connect with a wire for troubleshooting -- it very well could be a wifi issue, not dhcp issue.

I would connect to the router with wire if it does not clear up by just pulling the power plug on the router and plugging it back it. So you can verify the wifi settings -- try changing them to OPEN for testing... Once you have that working then put back your security settings - WPA2 would be the suggested level.

my problem is via a wired connection, did you see the thread title or first post?

Try re-installing mobo drivers.. from Nvidia . Also-- could you possibly try a live linux (like possibly puppy) to see if it is a software issue.. Also possibly try creating a new user and see if that person can logon...

Well then access the routers admin interface -- is dhcp enalbed? You don't have any other machines/devices that use this router?

Setup a STATIC ip if your having issues with dhcp.

You sure you didn't just firewall dhcp? Is your dhcp client running on the box?

Excuse me while I play a game of catchup:

• A wired computer cannot get an IP address.
  • A wireless machine can get an IP address.
  • The router has been switched off and on again.
  • Setting a static IP address on the wired computer does not rectify the problem.

Actually, I don't think the OP has agreed that he's tried setting a static IP address. If that doesn't work and you find that you're running out of options, I would just do a complete reset of the router, knocking it back to it's factory defaults. Putting the necessary settings such as a password on the wifi should take all of 5 minutes from the sounds of the situation.

As this is XP, have you verified that the DHCP Client Service is running?

Start -> run -> services.msc, find the DHCP Client Service, and check that the status is listed as running, and startup type is set to Automatic. If it's not, set it to automatic and start it, and then reconnect the network cable.

where did he actually state wireless is working? Where did he say any other boxes are working? He stated "the router is giving out internet via wifi"

Which to be honest is not very clear -- and for all we know the wireless clients he thinks are using his router are on the network next door... I have seen more times then you would think ;)

Its also possible those are are on a lease that has not yet expired?

Put another box wired to the router -- if it gets a lease, you can verify with ipconfig /all then use the same cable and port.. If box does not work, then either something bad with nic, or firewall -- sniff the traffic do you see dhcp correctly, does the server answer? Does it offer you a ip?

You can try reinstalling the driver until dooms day - does not give you any details of what is actually going on.

As this is XP, have you verified that the DHCP Client Service is running? Start -> run -> services.msc, find the DHCP Client Service, and check that the status is listed as running, and startup type is set to Automatic. If it's not, set it to automatic and start it, and then reconnect the network cable.

I found out last night the DHCP client service is not running, when I try to start it I get an error, it says "could not start the dhcp client service on local computer error 1075"

I tried what this said to do: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915162

however,

• Tcpip
  • Afd
  • NetBt

are already listed in the value data box and nothing else. thinking I'll have to reformat.

^ exactly what does the actual event log say for the reason it didn't start your going to get more info than 1075.

• 1 month later...

Ok, I've got the computer now. when I try starting the DHCP service, in system event log it gives an error event. the description says "the DHCP client service depends on the following nonexistent service: NetBT"

any ideas?

hm, I can't edit my posts for some reason.

anyway, avast is installed and it looks like it found a virus and deleted the netbt.sys file. I disabled avast and restored the file, but still can't start the service.