Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

Well I will never support Windows 8 unless they make it like Windows 7. The Metro theme and no start menu is a mistake that should never have been invented.We need the Metro theme like we need a hole in the head. Andrea Borman.

like they will suddenly care about U

they would go lughing all the way to bank

go and explode yourself with your terrorists hezbollllllh friend

giving us a rest of the nonsense

On to something else, anyone taking a deep into the SDK and working with WinRT at all? I wonder if someone can write a metro windows explorer app if MS won't do it.

On to something else, anyone taking a deep into the SDK and working with WinRT at all? I wonder if someone can write a metro windows explorer app if MS won't do it.

It's most likely that MS doesn't provide the API to bring metro apps powerfull enough to create a real Windows explorer.

Although, it's quite useless to bring such an apps.

It's most likely that MS doesn't provide the API to bring metro apps powerfull enough to create a real Windows explorer.

Although, it's quite useless to bring such an apps.

You can make a web based file explorer, so it should be quite possible

You can make a web based file explorer, so it should be quite possible

How so? There's no way a web apps can access through all your hard drive :) Unless it's running 3rd party tool like java the poo for example.

Well I will never support Windows 8 unless they make it like Windows 7.

I honestly think you don't even know what you're saying. This... This makes no friggin sense.

I really think you need to step back and think about what you are saying before you post, and really read over what it is we're saying to you. You said you've been banned from other boards, and this is exactly the reason why. All this incoherent bitching and yelling is going to get you nowhere. This is called "trolling", and it's shunned pretty much everywhere you go online.

If you expect to be using computers, you have to expect changes like this. Otherwise, sell off your netbook and don't bother with computers again.

Also, some file explorer are available on Windows Phone, but it's running some code not allowed on the marketplace, not everybody can run it but it exists (it's basically a giant filepicker, IIRC).

Well I will never support Windows 8 unless they make it like Windows 7. The Metro theme and no start menu is a mistake that should never have been invented.We need the Metro theme like we need a hole in the head. Andrea Borman.

if they were gonna make it exactly the same what would be the point in making it at all

in order to improve upon things, they have to be changed. we are humans are we not? humans are supposed to be the species that's best at adapting to change

if you don't like windows 8 Andrea that's fine, just stop trying to drag everyone else down with you

Windows 8 is-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Andrea Borman.

for the love of god, stop with this nonsense, this is a complete lie, you don't like it fine, that doesn't mean it's impossible to use

I installed Win8 CP on my laptop and kids got upset. They tend to ignore Metro and go back to desktop. They never use Start Orb however in Win7. The little one (4-year-old) complained that he wants many small icons back. :)

The real issue is that the laptop freezes from time to time (Lenovo Y510 with Intel T8100, 2GB, GF 8600GT), yet it works very well with Win7. So, I don't think I keep Win8 installed.

if they were gonna make it exactly the same what would be the point in making it at all

in order to improve upon things, they have to be changed. we are humans are we not? humans are supposed to be the species that's best at adapting to change

if you don't like windows 8 Andrea that's fine, just stop trying to drag everyone else down with you

for the love of god, stop with this nonsense, this is a complete lie, you don't like it fine, that doesn't mean it's impossible to use

I just want a normal version of Windows. On Windows 95 to Windows 2000 they have a start menu. An old fashioned classic one but it's a start menu. Then on Windows XP they have the modern Windows XP start menu. And on Windows Vista they have a start menu,without the expanding programs menu,but still a start menu. Then on Windows 7 they have the Windows Vista start menu. But don't forget,you can get the classic Windows 2000 and Windows XP start menu back in both Windows Vista and Windows 7.If you install Classic Shell.

But on Windows 8 CP,you have got nothing. No start menu,nothing and that Metro theme. So I don't see why they have to make the next version of Windows like that. People identify Windows with the start menu,it's the whole thing. And people like me use Windows because it is more user friendly, and easy to use than other operating systems.

So we don't want a Windows like Windows 8 unless it is like the other versions of Windows. And even on Linux most versions have a start menu. But Windows 8 CP is not user friendly at all and has no start menu. That's why I don't like it.

And most ordinary computer user liker me won't be able to use Windows 8. And I cannot use it.

If you want a good and user friendly version of Windows get Windows 7. You are better off. Andrea Borman.

I installed Win8 CP on my laptop and kids got upset. They tend to ignore Metro and go back to desktop. They never use Start Orb however in Win7. The little one (4-year-old) complained that he wants many small icons back. :)

The real issue is that the laptop freezes from time to time (Lenovo Y510 with Intel T8100, 2GB, GF 8600GT), yet it works very well with Win7. So, I don't think I keep Win8 installed.

If anything kids are the ones that are quickest to adapt. I'd say keep it on there and see what happens.

But Windows 7 is much better and it has a start menu. And also that Metro theme just uses up a lot of resources on a laptop.My laptop is back to normal now that I have uninstalled that horrible Windows 8 CP and reinstalled Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

This is just your opinion. And I can vouch that Windows 8 CP uses far less resources than Windows 7. Many of us actually likes Windows 8, just as you like Windows 7 & XP. Don't we have the right to enjoy what we have, just as you do, without all of this negativity? Go back to Windows 7 & forget Windows 8. Who knows, you may like Windows 9 when it rolls around.

Mabye by then, someone will post a hack to have the Start Menu the way you want it, so that you won't have to lift a finger to go out of your way to learn a new OS. Windows 7 will be supported until January 2020. Have fun!

Cat

Happily using Windows 8 as my main OS. Gonna be.... rather upset when it runs out in Jan, and I have to go back to Win7

In Windows 8, Windows Defender is Microsoft Security Essentials - which is actually better and more secure than a lot of the paid for anti-virus solutions you can get. It's certainly one of the lightest.

You always need Malware Bytes on there though.

I've been burned enough by MSE to know better than this. Actually today, I uninstalled Avast IS, due to the firewall not working properly on a new install of 8 CP, and installed my usual protection, ESET Smart Security 5, along with MBAM Pro.

Windows 8 CP is my default OS. My finances are handled mostly online. That's over $1,600 of expenses per month, and I manage my retirement account online also. That's not to mention any purchases that I make, which are at least 3 or more monthly.

Would you trust MSE, Windows Defender, or whatever MS calls it with your money? I have cleaned up virus ridden computers that had either MSE or Windows Defender, and yes, the Free versions of AVG, Avast & others, including one of my own. Most of the time, one can open the MSE logs, not a single thing was intercepted, not even as much as a tracking cookie.

But I do run MSE on XP Mode, however no transactions were made.

For all that it offers, finding a 3 PC license of ESET Smart Security for $29.99 on Newegg is a great investment. Along with a lifetime license of MBAM Pro for around $14 to $15. Install the free version of SuperAntiSpyware on, it's mops up the ad & tracking cookies left over.

Cat

I would trust MSE as much as any other paid or free solution. More than most. Those people wold have been infected whatever AV they had, you can't fix stupid and the problem is behind the keyboard. Zero day virii will get past anyway and certain Trojans will get past ANY AV simply because they're not viruses and the user is nstalling it by choice.

Well if Microsoft put this version of Windows 8 out on sale most home computer users will freak out when they see it. It's a terrible version of Windows and a terrible operating system. With it's no start menu and Metro theme. And it has bugs,it's slow and crashes.

I spent all night trying to get it working and to figure out how to use it. In the end I gave up and went back to Windows 7.

I remember there was a Windows 7 Beta which everybody praised and said was good. But was it anything like the final release of Windows 7? Which of course is the best operating system there is,alongside Windows XP.

But Microsoft cannot be serious about making the final release of Windows 8 like Windows 8 Beta. No one will be able to use this operating system. Andrea Borman.

Happily using Windows 8 as my main OS. Gonna be.... rather upset when it runs out in Jan, and I have to go back to Win7

Before then the RC will come and will last longer, well a few more months at least.

I'm ready to make the move to x64 anyways. My main OS is still 32bit Win7. When Win8 goes final i'm going to make the jump.

I've been happily using Windows 8 as my primary operating system for over 2 weeks, on my notebook that has a hardware keyboard and trackpad. I haven't done any development at home, though, during these past two weeks (I've been lazy :p), so I'm looking forward to seeing whether I find it just as great while I'm trying to get productive work done. I reckon I will, but we'll see :)

[. . .] It's a terrible version of Windows and a terrible operating system. With it's no start menu [. . .]

The lack of the Start Menu is actually one of the factors that contributes to Windows 8 being great, in my opinion. I love the Metro experience and accessing apps from the Start Screen, so there being a redundant Start Menu in the Desktop app would ruin the experience for me.

I've been happily using Windows 8 as my primary operating system for over 2 weeks, on my notebook that has a hardware keyboard and trackpad. I haven't done any development at home, though, during these past two weeks (I've been lazy :p), so I'm looking forward to seeing whether I find it just as great while I'm trying to get productive work done. I reckon I will, but we'll see :)

The lack of the Start Menu is actually one of the factors that contributes to Windows 8 being great, in my opinion. I love the Metro experience and accessing apps from the Start Screen, so there being a redundant Start Menu in the Desktop app would ruin the experience for me.

But I cannot use it like that,with no start menu. But it is not strictly true that you cannot get the start menu back in Windows 8CP. Yes,the registry edit no longer works nor does Metro Controller,although I think it still disables the ribbon. But there is a software called V Start,which does bring back both the start orb and the Windows 7 start menu in Windows 8 CP.

But V Start won't turn off the Metro theme like you could do in Windows 8 DP. So you will still have the Metro theme, but you will also have the start orb and Windows 7 start menu.

But that is not the only problem with Windows 8 CP. There is still the problem with the ribbon freezing my mouse,so I could not right click or use it in Windows Explorer. And V start won't fix that. And it won't fix the slowness of Windows 8 CP.

But if not having the Windows 7 start menu was the only reason for not using Windows 8 CP. And the only problem. I would use Windows 8 CP and just install V Start. But that's not the only problem. You see what I mean. Andrea Borman.

But I cannot use it like that,with no start menu. But it is not strictly true that you cannot get the start menu back in Windows 8CP. Yes,the registry edit no longer works nor does Metro Controller,although I think it still disables the ribbon. But there is a software called V Start,which does bring back both the start orb and the Windows 7 start menu in Windows 8 CP.

But V Start won't turn off the Metro theme like you could do in Windows 8 DP. So you will still have the Metro theme, but you will also have the start orb and Windows 7 start menu.

But that is not the only problem with Windows 8 CP. There is still the problem with the ribbon freezing my mouse,so I could not right click or use it in Windows Explorer. And V start won't fix that. And it won't fix the slowness of Windows 8 CP.

But if not having the Windows 7 start menu was the only reason for not using Windows 8 CP. And the only problem. I would use Windows 8 CP and just install V Start. But that's not the only problem. You see what I mean. Andrea Borman.

Why do you believe you cannot use it with no Start Menu? I'm just trying to understand your view on this. The Start Screen pretty much does what the Start Menu did; it just covers the whole screen instead.

Why do you believe you cannot use it with no Start Menu? I'm just trying to understand your view on this. The Start Screen pretty much does what the Start Menu did; it just covers the whole screen instead.

Well it is more difficult to find programs and even shut down your PC without the start menu.

But you can install V Start that will give you both the start orb and the Windows 7 start menu in Windows 8 CP. And there are a few other programs that do this. But what would be the best solution is for Microsoft to give us the option to disable Metro, like we could in DP. that is what most people want.

I don't want the Metro theme.I want the Windows 7 desktop and start menu. I hate the Metro theme. Andrea Borman.

Actually it's easier to find programs, and for your most used programs it's a lot faster since you can pin and organize as many favorites as you want on the first page.

As for shutdown, you do it once a day, it doesn't need to be on the first page of the start menu. All your netbooks also have this little button on the top left or right that turns off the computer, closing the ld puts it to sleep.