Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

I mean that I have tried the Metro theme and the Metro apps do not work. The only apps that work are those of my own software. That appears as both apps and desktop icons. That is Google Chrome,Pale Moon,and my media players etc. They all work but the apps like weather and Facebook app which are from the app store don't work.But I can just go onto Facebook in a web browser.

And my screen resolution is set as high 1024 X 600. That is the highest setting it will go. It is a 1GB ram netbook. Andrea Borman.

The Metro apps don't work on your netbook because you need a resolution of 1024x768 or above to use them.

The Metro apps don't work on your netbook because you need a resolution of 1024x768 or above to use them.

But what about the fact that I have not installed Java? Do the Metro apps need Java in order for them to run? And my screen resolution won't go any higher than 1024 X 600. It is the same on all of my netbooks. So what can I do about that? Andrea Borman.

But what about the fact that I have not installed Java? Do the Metro apps need Java in order for them to run? And my screen resolution won't go any higher than 1024 X 600. It is the same on all of my netbooks. So what can I do about that? Andrea Borman.

No you don't need Java, if you're resolution is too low then you won't be able to use Metro apps.

Metro apps do not use Java.

There's nothing you can do unless you plug it into an external monitor with a resolution of 1024x768 or above.

But my screen resolution setting only goes as high as 1024 X 600. Could it be because I have not installed Java? You know Sun Java, which I don't have installed on any of my netbooks. As it makes my web browsers slow. And it is not secure. Java has risks of malware. Andrea Borman.

Good God no, java has no relation to Windows 8. But it appears 1024x600 screens will be unsupported by Windows 8.

The Metro apps do not use Java.

There's nothing you can do unless you plug it into an external monitor with a resolution of 1024x768 or above.

But I can still use the IE10 that comes with Windows 8 while I am in Metro. And all of my computer settings, Control Panel app,Windows Explorer,app work. And so does all my software like web browsers,media players,chat messengers and more all work. I can launch them all from the Metro start menu or from my taskbar or desktop.Where I have pinned short cuts.

So it is not that the Metro theme is not working.It is just the app store apps that do not work. But I don't want to use those anyway.

The only disadvantage about Metro is the Metro start menu.

But then if you want to stay in Metro and have a start menu. Just use Classic Shell.Which gives you a Windows XP start menu with the Metro theme turned on or off. Problem solved. Andrea Borman.

But I can still use the IE10 that comes with Windows 8 while I am in Metro. And all of my computer settings, Control Panel app,Windows Explorer,app work. And so does all my software like web browsers,media players,chat messengers and more all work. I can launch them all from the Metro start menu or from my taskbar or desktop.Where I have pinned short cuts.

So it is not that the Metro theme is not working.It is just the app store apps that do not work. But I don't want to use those anyway.

But then if you want to stay in Metro and have a start menu. Just use Classic Shell.Which gives you a Windows XP start menu with the Metro theme turned on or off. Problem solved. Andrea Borman.

I have a feeling that the Consumer Preview will shock and amaze you.

(An aside: It's not a theme, it's not augmenting the existing desktop, it's a separate thing)

I think you're confusing the two. "Classic" desktop /= Metro UI. The Start screen should still work even at that resolution, but no Metro apps will run.

Yes, it is the Metro apps that don't work as opposed to the whole of Metro. Also, as Stoffel has said, Metro isn't a theme.

As has been explained to you before, the classic shell has been removed from Windows 8.

Shaun has reminded me that this is way off topic. If you want to discuss this further then please create your own thread.

One wonders why anyone would go to the trouble of installing a not even beta OS then proceed to disable all the new features to make it look and feel like WindowsXP? Would have been better off not upgrading at all from XP in the first place.

because the same thing happens every time microsoft release an alfa/beta/RC, maby its just for bragging rights.

Yes, it is the Metro apps that don't work as opposed to the whole of Metro. Also, as Stoffel has said, Metro isn't a theme.

As has been explained to you before, the classic shell has been removed from Windows 8.

Well I have just been on the Classic Shell website and it says that they are going to update Classic Shell to work with Windows 8 consumer preview. Here-http://classicshell....t/faq.html#win8

So I think that answers mine and other peoples questions. Andrea Borman.

Well I have just been on the Classic Shell website and it says that they are going to update Classic Shell to work with Windows 8 consumer preview. Here-http://classicshell....t/faq.html#win8

So I think that answers mine and other peoples questions. Andrea Borman.

Oh, I assumed you were talking about the classic style rather than a third-party program.

You know what Assume means right ;)

;)

Seeing as this is a Windows subforum, I thought Andrea was referring to the Windows Classic style than the third-party program Classic Shell.

Oh, I assumed you were talking about the classic style rather than a third-party program.

Icg wrote-

Seeing as this is a Windows subforum, I thought Andrea was referring to the Windows Classic style than the third-party program Classic Shell.

No no. This software here http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Classic Shell is a third part program that brings back both the Windows XP and classic Windows 98 start menu in Windows 7. But it also works on Windows 8. And I have installed this program on my Windows 8.

Well the problem is that I have limited experience with computers. And I find using Windows or any other operating system for that matter. With a start menu easier to use than having to use it with out a start menu. That is why I am so worried that we may not be able to have a start menu in the final builds of Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

Well the problem is that I have limited experience with computers. And I find using Windows or any other operating system for that matter. With a start menu easier to use than having to use it with out a start menu. That is why I am so worried that we may not be able to have a start menu in the final builds of Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

You will still have a start menu in win8, it will just take up the whole screen.

I understand that you are still fairly new to computers, but don't let your opinion be formed by what people say about a new OS.

Look at it with an open mind. What was the point of you even trying Win8 if the first thing you did was turn off almost everything that was new at that moment.

Also your netbooks don't have the right screen resolution for you to get the full Metro experience

The "start Menu" and all it's functionality is still there and has been baked into the Start Screen.

I think it's clear that Andrea is of an older generation and has only recently learnt how to use computers. I think that for her apparent age and short time that she's been using them, she's come a long way. My mother has been using computers for over ten years and would have no clue about some of the things that Andrea mentioned, let alone being able to install an operating system herself.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect there to be some shortcomings in knowledge.

Just because someone is demonstrating a lack of knowledge and asking for proof doesn't mean they are automatically being a troll.

Agreed. Though she might want to get proficient at the Window 7 level at the very least. Windows XP has what -800 days of support. :rolleyes:

Well it does not matter. As even if they do drop support for Windows XP like they did with Windows 2000, I am going to carry on using it for the next 10 years or so.As long as my Windows XP netbook is still working then.

And as for Windows 7.Well if they stop supporting that in say 4 years time, I am going to carry on using that for the next 20 or 30 years or so. As I don't see why we should give up using the versions of Windows we love.

End of support just means that we will no longer get updates. But most of the software we have like Firefox,Google Chrome,VLC Player and chat messengers,is not updated by Windows Update anyway.

And we spend ages downloading over 50 updates, sometimes from Windows update. I cannot help wondering if it really does any good anyway. Or if it is just a waste of our time.

Some people are still using Windows 2000 now, even though they don't get updates from Windows. And Windows 2000 is still working.

So it won't be any different for Windows XP and Windows 7.Andrea Borman.

The thing is - that's sort of ok (from a hardware point of view) if you're not upgrading.

It's not ok from a software point of view because at some point you a) won't be able to use the latest version of software and b) (This is by far the most important) you will not receive critical security updates from Windows and other software. That puts your machine and your personal data at risk when it really shouldn't be.

Honestly, if you don't like changes and new features then computing is not a good hobby. Although from the sounds of it Andrea, you would make a very good Systems Administrator!

Also, I really don't think there are many people using Windows 2000. Sure there'll be the odd crackpot but that Operating System was rubbish.

Well it does not matter. As even if they do drop support for Windows XP like they did with Windows 2000, I am going to carry on using it for the next 10 years or so.As long as my Windows XP netbook is still working then.

And as for Windows 7.Well if they stop supporting that in say 4 years time, I am going to carry on using that for the next 20 or 30 years or so. As I don't see why we should give up using the versions of Windows we love.

[/Quote]

Security. If there is a critical flaw in the OS that's being exploited, you're out of luck after 2014 with using XP. It's a big concern for home users and an even bigger concern for business users.

If/when a security issue does arise, it become pointless to continue running it, especially for home users with Internet-facing computers. It puts your personal data at risk. Is that a chance you're willing to take?

End of support just means that we will no longer get updates. But most of the software we have like Firefox,Google Chrome,VLC Player and chat messengers,is not updated by Windows Update anyway.

And we spend ages downloading over 50 updates, sometimes from Windows update. I cannot help wondering if it really does any good anyway. Or if it is just a waste of our time.

You should ALWAYS be up to date with Windows Update patches. They are NOT a waste of time! Take a look at Conficker. That hole was patched by Microsoft MONTHS before the worm made its rounds. The only users to get infected were the ones who neglected to install the patch.