Disable Hard Drive Spin down?

brianicoleman

ok so im having this computer annoyance and maybe you guys can help me out.

setup:

i have 3 HDD in my computer. 1 with with OS and programs, one as a media drive and 1 as a random drive. all 3 drives are internal, and not 'green' drives.

problem:

when i use them for the first time in a while (like get home from work after leaving my pc running while at work) the initial time i open a directory or file on either of my non-OS drives it has about a 2-3 second lag while opening. i feel like they are spinning down to save power or something. they run fine after the 2-3 second delay but its decently annoying. i have checked my power settings in windows 7, but its nothing set wrong in there that i saw.

any ideas?

Jason S.

in device manager, there's the option - "allow this device to turn off to save power." maybe thats it?

the only other thing i can think of is the advanced power settings. one of the trees is for hard drives...

AJerman

Nothing is set wrong because that's how it's supposed to be. It saves power and saves wear on the drive motor, so I'd highly suggest that you leave it enabled. As you said, it only takes 2 to 3 seconds to spin up. Anyway, I'm not on Windows 7 to look, but this option was always in the same power options as the ones that turn off your monitor after inactivity. Should be pretty easy to google and find out.

Edit: The first result on Google is even a link to a thread here: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/983350-turn-off-hdd-spin-down-windows-7/ Don't forget to search before posting!

PGHammer

in device manager, there's the option - "allow this device to turn off to save power." maybe thats it?

the only other thing i can think of is the advanced power settings. one of the trees is for hard drives...

That is indeed where to find it (Control Panel->Power->Advanced Settings. I have a single *green* HDD (my boot drive, actually), and I have HDD spindown set to "Never".

(I have a modified High Performance powerr plan as my default, with monitor shutdown also set to "Never" - instead, I physically turn it off when away from the desktop.)

brianicoleman

i believe i foun what i was looking for here:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

Change Advanced Power Settings

Then under the Hard Drives heading:  "Turn off hard disks after" setting.

awesome, thanks for they help

threetonesun

Why would you set the hard drive spindown to "never"? This is up there with obsessing about how much free RAM you have.

Jason S.

Why would you set the hard drive spindown to "never"? This is up there with obsessing about how much free RAM you have.

in theory, spining the hd up and down all the time puts strain on the motor. leaving it running means less power-on strain. again, in theory.

AJerman

in theory, spining the hd up and down all the time puts strain on the motor. leaving it running means less power-on strain. again, in theory.

In more logical theory, keeping it running 24/7 puts more strain on the motor than it spinning up and down a few times a day.

cybertimber2008

Which part of the motor is stressed by spinning up and down, in theory of course?

I mean... it's not like its turning off and on rapidly (1 minue idle turn off) which I could see causing wear and tear. After 20 minutes of idle, it's likely to assume you aren't coming back for ahwile.

Sir Topham Hatt

But in practice. . . :p

+PeterUK

In more logical theory, keeping it running 24/7 puts more strain on the motor than it spinning up and down a few times a day.

Spinning down doesn?t strain the motor its spinning it up that puts strain on the motor as the motor is a short from a spinning start requiring a controlled amount of high current with voltage to get it going and its this that puts strain on the motor. When the motor is up to speed very little current with voltage is needed to keep to speed in check because of momentum of the platters what then happens is you put wear on the motors ball bearings & contact brushes for running it 24/7.

Another Canuck

There's arguments to both cases, so really, who cares. Hard drives have rated MTBFs and warranties that cover them, they're designed to handle 24/7 use and repetitive spin-up.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. The reason I disable it is because it adds lag time when I need to access a file on a sleeping hard drive.

+ir0nw0lf

Sounds like the still ongoing age old discussion/argument over power supplies, ie. whether or not turning them on/off all the time puts more wear & tear on them. I got into some pretty heated arguments over this as long back as 15+ years ago LOL. (<-- age giveaway there)

AJerman

The lack of patience that some of you have amazes me.

Brandon H

[rant] no offense but "OOO a 2 second wait before i can access the files on my hard-drive"

in all honesty why are you annoyed at a TWO SECOND wait that only happens ONCE every now and then when your away from your computer for awhile?

if it was something like 20 or 30 seconds i'd understand your annoyance but a whole 2 seconds isn't all that big of deal for something like this [/rant]

sorry just had to get that off my chest as i don't see why it's being made to be such a big deal

Another Canuck

The lack of patience that some of you have amazes me.

Sorry, but if I'm working and I constantly have to wait for my drive to spin up, it quickly becomes annoying.

I could increase the timer, but then it will rarely trigger, so what's the point? I may as well just disable it

We install SSDs in our systems, overclock our CPUs, RAID our drives, double-up our GPUs all to shave seconds or milliseconds off of daily operations. It's not impatience; we live in an instantaneous world now with expectations of how fast certain actions should take. When said actions suddenly take longer than expected - yes - it's aggravating.

You've never been frustrated at your cable box that is slow to respond? Smartphone that locks up? Etc. It's the same thing.

mrp04

Sorry, but if I'm working and I constantly have to wait for my drive to spin up, it quickly becomes annoying.

I could increase the timer, but then it will rarely trigger, so what's the point? I may as well just disable it

We install SSDs in our systems, overclock our CPUs, RAID our drives, double-up our GPUs all to shave seconds or milliseconds off of daily operations. It's not impatience; we live in an instantaneous world now with expectations of how fast certain actions should take. When said actions suddenly takes longer than expected - yes - it's aggravating.

You've never been frustrated at your cable box that is slow to respond? Smartphone that locks up? Etc. It's the same thing.

If you're actually using the drive it shouldn't spin down. Do you leave your computer on overnight? If you do, then it's better to increase the timer instead of disabling it. If the drive really does get accessed constantly the whole time the computer is on, then you may as well disable it.

Another Canuck

If you're actually using the drive it shouldn't spin down. Do you leave your computer on overnight? If you do, then it's better to increase the timer instead of disabling it. If the drive really does get accessed constantly the whole time the computer is on, then you may as well disable it.

I don't leave my computer on overnight, in-fact I put it to sleep whenever I leave my room for any extended period of time.

It's not that I'm accessing the drive constantly. Windows defaults to 20 minutes before putting the drive to sleep. I access my data storage drive on average every 15 to 30 minutes. So more often than not, the drive is asleep.

+warwagon

I leave all my drives spinning to. If a drive is going to fail it will more than likely do so upon spinning back up. same goes for a lot of stuff. You always hear people say "I turned my computer off at night, and now it won't turn back on"

it's that spinning up that puts strain on the motor. So I leave all my drives on.

AJerman
Sorry, but if I'm working and I constantly have to wait for my drive to spin up, it quickly becomes annoying. I could increase the timer, but then it will rarely trigger, so what's the point? I may as well just disable it We install SSDs in our systems, overclock our CPUs, RAID our drives, double-up our GPUs all to shave seconds or milliseconds off of daily operations. It's not impatience; we live in an instantaneous world now with expectations of how fast certain actions should take. When said actions suddenly take longer than expected - yes - it's aggravating. You've never been frustrated at your cable box that is slow to respond? Smartphone that locks up? Etc. It's the same thing.

Well, I disagree. I don't think they are at all the same. You're talking a 2-3 second delay a few times a day vs optimizing speed for something you use the entire time (faster CPU/GPU, OC, etc to make the computer run faster the entire time you use it). But hey, whatever works for you guys! If you access the drive PERFECTLY so that it just spun down 10 minutes ago and you're spinning it back up, then set the spin down time to an hour even. Best of both worlds.

Ravensky

If I wanted patience I would have been a Dr. LOL... I know it's spelled differently ... don't troll it's a joke!

cybertimber2008

I leave all my drives spinning to. If a drive is going to fail it will more than likely do so upon spinning back up. same goes for a lot of stuff. You always hear people say "I turned my computer off at night, and now it won't turn back on"

it's that spinning up that puts strain on the motor. So I leave all my drives on.

I had one fail while I was using it just last weekend.

That said, there are other mechanical parts besides the motor that rotates the platters... as well as other components that can fail.

Would a defragmented harddrive wear the head arm motor less? yes. Would it prolong the life of the drive? Depends if the arm is what is going to be the part that would have broken anyway.

+warwagon

I had one fail while I was using it just last weekend.

That said, there are other mechanical parts besides the motor that rotates the platters... as well as other components that can fail.

Would a defragmented harddrive wear the head arm motor less? yes. Would it prolong the life of the drive? Depends if the arm is what is going to be the part that would have broken anyway.

Which is why I said "more than likely" and not absolute!" :)

Edrick Smith

So wait you're saying that having the drive spin is going to dramatically shorten its life? Yet how do you think server and storage arrays work?

+warwagon

From the google hard drive study

Power Cycles.

The power cycles indicator counts the

number of times a drive is powered up and down. In

a server-class deployment, in which drives are powered

continuously, we do not expect to reach high enough

power cycle counts to see any effects on failure rates.

Our results find that for drives aged up to two years, this

is true, there is no significant correlation between failures

and high power cycles count. But for drives 3 years

and older, higher power cycle counts can increase the

absolute failure rate by over 2%. We believe this is due

more to our population mix than to aging effects. Moreover,

this correlation could be the effect (not the cause)

of troubled machines that require many repair iterations

and thus many power cycles to be fixed.

Power-on hours

Although we do not dispute that

power-on hours might have an effect on drive lifetime,

it happens that in our deployment the age of the drive is

an excellent approximation for that parameter, given that

our drives remain powered on for most of their life time..

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Abhay V
      Nvidia to drop Game Ready Driver updates for Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 starting this October
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Nvidia today detailed its plans for Game Ready Drivers upgrade support for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. The company posted a support article that states that it will cease to provide Game Ready Driver updates for its graphic cards for the mentioned versions starting October 2021. However, it does note that it will continue to serve “critical security updates” for systems running those operating systems until September 2024.

Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 in January 2020, while Windows 8 lost its support in January 2016 – a short life span for the OS thanks to Windows 8.1 and the debacle that Windows 8 was. However, while Windows 8.1 reached the end of mainstream support back in 2018, the OS is still being serviced with security updates and will be till January 2023.

Nvidia, says that a “vast majority” of its GeForce customers have migrated to Windows 10 and that it aims to provide the “best possible security, support, and functionality” for those users, which is why it is focusing on Windows 10 alone. In the FAQ section, it adds that it will ship the last Game Ready Driver that supports the three operating system on August 31, with the first drivers to drop support for the versions completely expected to ship in October.

The change might not be a major one considering that most users are running the latest offering from the Redmond giant. However, for those that are still on older versions, they can rest assured that their GPUs will be served with updates to address any critical vulnerabilities. However, they will lose out on upgrades with performance enhancements, new features, and bug fixes, Nvidia says.

• By Abhay V
      Windows 7 and 8.1 Patch Tuesday updates are now out, here's the complete changelog
      by Abhay Venkatesh

As is the case every month, Microsoft is releasing cumulative updates for all supported Windows versions. These include the three most recent Windows 10 versions for consumers and a few versions that are supported for specific channels and select SKUs. Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 too are receiving updates, with the latter being reserved for those who have opted to pay for extended updates.

As usual, the updates are split into two parts – monthly rollup and security-only updates. Monthly rollup packages are automatically served through Windows Update and security-only updates can be manually downloaded through the update catalog.

Starting with Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2, the monthly rollup is KB5003671 and can be downloaded manually from the Update Catalog here. The changelog for this patch includes:

As for the security-only update, that is labeled as KB5003681 and can be manually downloaded from here. The list of fixes is similar to that of the monthly rollup. Here's the changelog posted by the firm:

Both updates share the same known issue that users must be aware of. Here are the problems documented by the firm:

Symptom

Workaround

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Moving on to Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, the monthly rollup is KB5003667 and can be downloaded from here manually. It comes with the following fixes and improvements detailed in the knowledge base changelog:

The security-only update is labeled KB5003694 and can be downloaded manually from the Update Catalog here. The fixes listed in this patch are as follows:

Both these updates share the same set of known issues, with the renaming issue now being there on the list for a long time.

Symptom

Workaround

After installing this update or later updates, connections to SQL Server 2005 might fail. You might receive an error, "Cannot connect to , Additional information: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)"

This is expected behavior due to a security hardening change in this update. To resolve this issue, you will need to update to a supported version of SQL Server.

After installing this update and restarting your device, you might receive the error, “Failure to configure Windows updates. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer,” and the update might show as Failed in Update History.

This is expected in the following circumstances:

If you are installing this update on a device that is running an edition that is not supported for ESU. For a complete list of which editions are supported, see KB4497181. If you do not have an ESU MAK add-on key installed and activated. If you have purchased an ESU key and have encountered this issue, please verify you have applied all prerequisites and that your key is activated. For information on activation, please see this blog post. For information on the prerequisites, see the "How to get this update" section of this article.

Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.

Do one of the following:

Perform the operation from a process that has administrator privilege. Perform the operation from a node that doesn’t have CSV ownership. Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

As is always the case, you can head to Windows Update and check for updates to pull the monthly rollup patches. You can also head to the individual download links for the security-only updates which can only be manually installed.

• By Abhay V
      Windows 7 and 8.1 Patch Tuesday updates are out, here's what's new
      by Abhay Venkatesh

As is the case every second Tuesday of the month, Microsoft is releasing cumulative updates for all supported Windows versions. That includes all supported Windows 10 versions, along with Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 customers that have opted to receive extended security updates. As for Windows 10 users, it must be noted that versions 1909, 1809, and 1803 will be reaching the end of support, with 1803 being completely unsupported – including for enterprises – starting today.

As for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (and the corresponding Windows Server versions), there are two kinds of updates. The monthly rollup packages are downloaded automatically from the Windows Update, while security-only packages are made available for manual download.

Starting with Windows 8.1, the monthly rollup for this month is KB5003209 and can be manually downloaded from the Update Catalog here. The changelog for the patch is as follows:

As for known issues, there is just one known issue that is being tracked for a while, and it still seems to not have been addressed:

Symptom

Workaround

Do one of the following:

Heading to the security-only update, it is listed in the knowledge base article KB5003220 and is available for manual download from here. It includes the following fixes and comes with the same known issue as that of the monthly rollup:

Moving on to Windows 7, the monthly rollup is KB5003233 and can be downloaded from the link here. The list of fixes being made to users of the OS with this month’s update includes the following:

And here are the known issues that users should be aware of:

Symptom

Workaround

After installing this update and restarting your device, you might receive the error, “Failure to configure Windows updates. Reverting Changes. Do not turn off your computer,” and the update might show as Failed in Update History.

This is expected in the following circumstances:

If you are installing this update on a device that is running an edition that is not supported for ESU. For a complete list of which editions are supported, see KB4497181. If you do not have an ESU MAK add-on key installed and activated. If you have purchased an ESU key and have encountered this issue, please verify you have applied all prerequisites and that your key is activated. For information on activation, please see this blog post. For information on the prerequisites, see the "How to get this update" section of this article.

Do one of the following:

For those looking for the security-only update, it is KB5003228 for this month and can be manually pulled from the Update Catalog here. The list of changes and fixes are as follows:

The known issues for this update are shared with the monthly rollup, which means that the rename operation problem – which has been around for a while now, is still not fixed.

As usual, you can head to Windows Update and check for updates to pull the monthly rollup patches. You can also head to the individual download links for the security-only updates which can only be manually installed.

• By Sszecret
      Microsoft Weekly: New Surface devices, April Patch Tuesday, and game updates
      by Florin Bodnarescu

In the last seven days, Microsoft unveiled its latest Surface Laptop (and a number of other peripherals), acquired Nuance Communications for a cool $19.7 billion, and even pushed out a number of updates for Windows and first-party games. You can find info about that, as well as much more below, in your Microsoft digest for the week of April 11 - 17.

New Surface devices

After a number of leaks, and even a teaser video from Microsoft itself, the fourth iteration of the Surface Laptop was unveiled earlier this week.

Swapping out the Cobalt Blue variant for an Ice Blue color, the Laptop 4 now also includes AMD CPUs for both its 13.5 and 15-inch models (namely the Ryzen 4000 generation), as well as 11th-gen Intel Core CPUs. The device starts at $999, and has begun shipping since April 15, and in case you want to check out the full range of options available, have a look here.

The company also unveiled a number of peripherals, including the Surface Headphones 2+ for business (priced at $299 and available later this month), and the Modern USB Headset and Modern Wireless Headset, priced at $49.99 and $99.99 – arriving in June. Also arriving in June are the Modern USB-C Speaker ($99.99) and the Modern Webcam, the latter of which supports 1080p 30FPS video output, has a 78-degree FOV, and is priced at $69.99.

Last but not least, the Surface Duo was also mentioned, with Microsoft confirming that it’s headed for more European markets. Specifically, it’ll be available in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Italy, The Netherlands, Sweden, and Switzerland, though only for business and education customers.

April Patch Tuesday

Since this week was the second Tuesday of the month, Microsoft pushed out its by now traditional set of Patch Tuesday updates. If you’re on Windows 10, these are:

May 2020 Update / October 2020 Update (2004, 20H2): KB5001330, builds 19041.928 / 19042.928 – contains updates that improve basic Windows operation secuirity, as well as enhance security when using input devices like mice, keyboards, or pens. November 2019 Update (1909): KB5001337, build 18363.1500 – changelog is identical to the version above. October 2018 Update (1809): KB5001342, build 17763.1879 – supported for Enterprise, Education SKUs. April 2018 Update (1803): KB5001339, build 17134.2145 – supported for Enterprise, Education SKUs. Anniversary Update (1607): KB5001347, build 14393.4350 – supported in the Long-Term Servicing Channel. Windows 10 RTM (1507): KB5001340, build 10240.18906 - supported in the Long-Term Servicing Channel. Windows 8.1 and 7 aren’t forgotten either, with the former still in extended support until 2023, and the latter being kept alive in the business environment via Extended Security Updates. As such, here’s what folks running those operating systems need to be on the lookout for:

Windows 8.1: KB5001382, KB5001393 (security-only) – this monthly rollup includes some time zone and security enhancements, while still containing the now traditional Cluster Shared Volume error „STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)” in terms of known issues. Windows 7: KB5001335, KB5001392 (security-only) – contains similar time zone and security enhancements to Windows 8.1, and has the identical known issue. Naturally, beyond the regular updates, Insiders in the Dev channel also got a new build to play with, namely 21359. Beyond its laundry list of fixes, it introduces a brand new option in the Power menu, which allows the system to restart your apps after signing in. Essentially, this works in a similar way to the ability to recover the last session in browsers, only this one applies to open apps at the time of restarting the system.

For fans of Timeline - the feature in Windows 10 that allows you to view your activity history (more or less a giant “recent files” screen -, there is some bad news. While the capability will remain functional for local activity, cross-device syncing is being removed.

Finally, in case the rumored Sun Valley UI refresh has piqued your interest, check out this concept which brings File Explorer a little more in-line with the Redmond giant’s vision. Sure, Windows 10 may never look like this, but it’s a fun little bit of speculation if you will, at least until Sun Valley arrives via 21H2 later in the year (assuming there’s no delays).

Game updates
      This week was all about game updates on the Microsoft side.

On one hand, World Update IV dropped for Flight Simulator, featuring enhancements to the scenery in Western Europe. Included in the update are enhancements to regions in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg, covering cities, airports, landmarks, and much more.

Sea of Thieves players were also greeted by the start of Season Two, adding Trade Routes, the ability to purchase resources directly from outposts, the addition of 100 more unlockable items to the free battle pass, and so much more.

For folks eagerly awaiting the Caves & Cliffs update that’s coming to Minecraft, there’s some interesting news. Mojang Studios has decided to split the update in two, with the mobs, items, and blocks arriving in the summer (the original target of the bigger update), and the world generation upgrades landing during the holiday season.

Those who enjoyed InXile’s latest release, Wasteland 3, will be happy to hear that the game is in fact getting its first expansion, The Battle of Steeltown. Adding a new location, new mechanics, more enemies, weapons, armor, combat and gear scaling and more, the expansion drops June 3 across Steam, GOG, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and (now) current-gen consoles for $13.99. Game Pass subscribers get at 10% discount when purchasing the expansion.

And while we’re on the subject of Game Pass and deals, you are now able to download Game Pass games using Amazon Alexa, while the ever-present Deals with Gold are yet again out in full force with The Division, ABZU, Apex Legends, Battlefield 1, and more receiving respectable discounts.

Last, but most certainly not least, if you’re an Xbox Live Gold subscriber, Uprising and Truck Racing Championship are now free to claim, with Vikings: Wolves of Midgard still being available to grab as well, at least until April 30.

Dev channel
      Edge is set to get a new Workspaces feature, now available in the Canary channel. Additionally, Edge Dev build 91.0.852.0 is now out, adding Password Monitor for everybody, while the stable channel has gotten version 90, and the Canary variant on Android has received an update too. Chat bubble support is planned for Teams, as is support for electronically-signed approvals. All major Microsoft services will exclusively use SHA-2 starting next month. PowerToys pre-release v0.36 is now out, with a video conference mute tool. The Remote Desktop app has been updated with support for Apple Silicon devices. Logging off
      We end the column with some Exchange, acquisition, and podcast news.

We’ll begin with Exchange, as Microsoft has released yet another set of security updates for the ever-unfolding Exchange Server vulnerabilities. This latest round of patches comes as a result of an NSA report and, for those not aware, is meant to further protect against the state-sponsored group attacks on on-prem Exchange Server instances, which started surfacing last month.

Moving on to acquisition news, Microsoft was rumored to be in talks with Nuance Communications, the company behind the underlying technology for Apple’s Siri digital assistant for a buyout. The firm's speech recognition system, Dragon, is used in a number of fields including healthcare, legal, law enforcement, and financial services.

While the initial rumor pinned the sum of the buyout at $16 billion, the Redmond giant came out not long after to confirm that it was indeed acquiring Nuance, but for $19.7 billion. This is because it’s also taking on the firm’s debt.

Last but not least, feel free to check out the latest episode of the Neowin Podcast, in which Rich and Joao discuss the shuttering of LG’s phone business, what’s next for Windows 10, and indeed what’s next for Rich Woods, as he will be leaving Neowin. You can check out the podcast at this link.

Missed any of the previous columns? Be sure to have a look right here.

If you’d like to get a daily digest of news from Neowin, we now have a Newsletter you can sign up to either via the ‘Get our newsletter’ widget in the sidebar, or this link.

• By indospot
      Patch Tuesday: Here's what's new for Windows 7 and 8.1
      by João Carrasqueira

Today is the second Tuesday of April, and with it, Microsoft is once again releasing new updates for all supported versions of Windows, including Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 - as long as you're a business paying for extended security updates.

As usual, there are two types of updates for both Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, as well as their server counterparts - a monthly rollup that's usually installed automatically and a security-only update that you have to install manually.

Starting with Windows 8.1, the monthly rollup update is KB5001382 and you can download it manually here. It includes the following changes:

There's nothing new in terms of known issues, but the one we've been saying for a while now is still here:

Symptom Workaround Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege. Do one of the following:

As for the security-only update, that's labeled KB5001393 and you can download it manually here. It only includes the following:

It has the same known issue as the monthly rollup.

Moving on to Windows 7, the monthly rollup update is KB5001335 and you can download it manually here. It includes the following changes:

It has the same known issue as the updates above.

Finally, the security-only update for Windows 7 is KB5001392 and you can download it manually here. It also has the same known issue as the other updates, and includes these changes:

As a reminder, only select users are eligible to get updates for Windows 7, since it's no longer supported for the general public. Also, as mentioned at the start, the monthly rollup updates will generally install automatically over time, but you can install them manually if you prefer. The security-only updates can only be installed manually using the links above.