Playstation Vita Thread

Mortal Kombat does run at 60FPS, they sacrificed some of the visuals to get it run solid.

Wow, I wouldn't have expected that.

While I am also pretty sure none of the games were running at 60 FPS (actually according to reports Mortal Kombat does run at 60 fps), I did not notice a single issue with the frame rate at all on any games, like never even crossed my mind, and I am pretty obsessed with that side of things and also easily notice if there is a lower than normal frame rate. So I am pretty confident that is is no doubt a steady 30fps, which leads me to ask...

Do you generally not play any games on the console either? As it is not like 60fps is a guarantee on the consoles either. I would say at best 50% of games on the consoles actually run at 60fps, and I would say that is being pretty damn generous.. Also, I doubt all that many games with halfway decent graphics are running at a constant 60 fps on the iPhone either. In fact I am pretty sure I recall reading Infinity Blade 2 on an iPad actually runs at around 25fps. But hey, if it is something you felt the need to point out on the Vita as some horrible issue yet either of the current generation of consoles or any iOS device is constantly churning out 60FPS, I am sure you have your reasons.

Yeah, framerate is a personal gripe I have with certain genres of games (especially racing), and it's sort of got more noticeable for me ever since I got my new PC up and running. I personally feel that 60FPS should be a requirement for some game genres; mainly racing and FPS games, and considering how amazing this generation of consoles has been, the only real justification I can see for releasing more powerful consoles is if it would mean every single game could run at 60FPS (with the obvious exception of certain games where the lack of a smooth framerate is part of its appeal), as for me personally, that would be all the realism I needed. The graphics in some of today's games are amazingly life-like, that if they were combined with a 60FPS framerate, you probably wouldn't be able to tell it apart from real life, and it would add to the overall immersion. :)

Wow, I wouldn't have expected that.

Yeah, framerate is a personal gripe I have with certain genres of games (especially racing), and it's sort of got more noticeable for me ever since I got my new PC up and running. I personally feel that 60FPS should be a requirement for some game genres; mainly racing and FPS games, and considering how amazing this generation of consoles has been, the only real justification I can see for releasing more powerful consoles is if it would mean every single game could run at 60FPS (with the obvious exception of certain games where the lack of a smooth framerate is part of its appeal), as for me personally, that would be all the realism I needed. The graphics in some of today's games are amazingly life-like, that if they were combined with a 60FPS framerate, you probably wouldn't be able to tell it apart from real life, and it would add to the overall immersion. :)

Yeah, a PC will do that to you, which is why I had a pretty hard time initially going from the PC to these latest generation of consoles. It is also while more often than not, when I can I choose to play games like a First Person Shooter on the PC, BF3 being the most recent example. I definitely feel like it is important with certain genres as well. Racing games as you said. The one and only demo I actually did not check out when I played the Vita was Wipeout, as it is the only game I am purchasing as I like the series that much, so I guess I will just have to see how it performs. That is definitely a game that greatly benefits from 60fps, but when I have watched videos of it in action, I did not get any alarms thrown up saying it looked off.

I guess I also never really considered a handheld would even have the horsepower to churn out 60fps. I just look at them as an ancillary gaming device not a primary one, and as such accept the fact there are some concessions that will be made.

So I didn't win a Vita from the Taco Bell contest lol. I don't think I'll be going back there anytime soon. I'll probably just use my tax refund money towards this.

Okay, I really just purchased the last thing I will be purchasing for the Vita until I have it in my hands.

Anyway, I got the Vita Starter Kit from Amazon.

Includes: 4GB Memory Card, Pocket Pouch, Protective Film, Card Case, Headphones, Cleaning Cloth

I did the math, and one can buy all of the items individually, and not counting the headphones or cleaning cloth (which I really have no use for either unless somehow the headphones are amazing which I am counting on the fact they are not), it basically comes out to the fact that for $5 more (which I am guessing those two items could add up to) you get a free 4GB memory card, which I will use for Misc stuff since I have the 32GB card preordered already.

But I wanted some kind of case for it just to protect it in my house, I like screen protectors personally on my devices (as long as it does not interfere with any of the touch stuff which I am assuming it does not), and I also like having a little case to hold my games and memory cards, which it holds up to 2 memory cards, which is perfect for me.

Nice. Seems like a decent deal for the money. I have the First Edition Bundle on pre-order, so I should be getting the case and the 4 GB memory card from that. I wouldn't mind having a protective film for the touchscreen, though. I made the mistake of leaving my iPhone 4 naked, and now if you look at it with the right lighting angle, it looks like a wolverine turned it into its ######. I can't imagine that the 4 GB card is going to stretch very far (probably a good call on your part to go for the 32 GB card), but let's see how long I can hold out before having to buy a bigger one.

I think the EB Games near me has a Vita on display, but I can't be bothered to walk over there with all of the road construction and cold weather. I've read positive things from my most trusted sources, so I'm not particularly concerned about anything from a hardware standpoint.

Nice. Seems like a decent deal for the money. I have the First Edition Bundle on pre-order, so I should be getting the case and the 4 GB memory card from that. I wouldn't mind having a protective film for the touchscreen, though. I made the mistake of leaving my iPhone 4 naked, and now if you look at it with the right lighting angle, it looks like a wolverine turned it into its ######. I can't imagine that the 4 GB card is going to stretch very far (probably a good call on your part to go for the 32 GB card), but let's see how long I can hold out before having to buy a bigger one.

I think the EB Games near me has a Vita on display, but I can't be bothered to walk over there with all of the road construction and cold weather. I've read positive things from my most trusted sources, so I'm not particularly concerned about anything from a hardware standpoint.

You can pick up the protective screens (I think you get 2 of them) for $10 basically, may be worth looking into. I actually think, not 100% sure but like 95% sure that the case you get with the First Edition is a nicer one than the one I am getting. Honestly I was heavily considering the first edition bundle because of the case. So I think you will definitely be happy with it. (Y)

Well I got my bonus from work today, so I treated myself to another $50 PSN Card and I also purchased another year sub for PS+. I am officially ready for the Vita. Little less than 2 weeks left. (Y)

I'm holding off on PS+ (even though I have a PS3) people on NeoGAF have been saying that the free Minis you get just error out on Vita but paid ones don't, I don't know if that's just a weird hitch because the Vita isn't actually out yet, even though PSN for Vita was turned on in the US a few days ago, I am going to wait till after launch to see what happens.

I'm holding off on PS+ (even though I have a PS3) people on NeoGAF have been saying that the free Minis you get just error out on Vita but paid ones don't, I don't know if that's just a weird hitch because the Vita isn't actually out yet, even though PSN for Vita was turned on in the US a few days ago, I am going to wait till after launch to see what happens.

I was going to extend + regardless just for the PS3 side of things, but no doubt one of the reasons I want it is for the free minis to work on the Vita, so hope it is just because it is not released yet technically, or that would definitely suck.

So the list of Vita-compatible PSP games (i.e. downloadable titles) has been released. It's over here for those of you who are interested: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/09/how-to-download-psp-titles-to-ps-vita/

Personally, the two PSP games that I was looking at are Disgaea 2 and The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Thankfully, they are both supported :).

Checked one out at Gamestop during my lunch break and it's definitely an impressive piece of hardware. Only got to try out Uncharted and Wipeout though. Uncharted felt like Uncharted (not a bad thing), and Wipeout was amazing. Took me a little while to get used to the smaller buttons and sticks, but it felt fine after a few minutes of use. Only thing that sucked was for some reason the volume wasn't working so I couldn't hear the games. I wanted to compare the sound quality to the 3DS.

Aside from the list posted by Sony above the following titles are confirmed as compatible:

Ape Escape on the Loose

Burnout Legends

Capcom Classic Collection: Reloaded

Capcom Classic Collection: Remixed

Capcom Puzzle World

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles

Crush

Field Commander

Gradius Collection

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Gran Turismo

Hammerin' Hero

Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee

Jeanne d'Arc

Killzone Liberation

LittleBigPlanet

Locoroco 2

Mercury Meltdown

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Patchwork Heroes

Persuit Force

PQ: Practical Intelligence Quotient

Puzzle Quest

R-Type Command

Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters

Rock Band Unplugged

Sega Genesis Collection

Silent Hill: Origins

Sonic Rivals

Sonic Rivals 2

Valkyria Chronicles II

Wipeout Pulse

All Neo Geo titles

All PC Engine titles

The following are incompatible:

Brave Story

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Phantasy Star Portable

Phantasy Star Portable 2

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity

SOCOM: Fireteam Bravo 3

Twisted Metal: Head On

Ys I & II Chronicles (works for some)

PLAYSTATION MINIS

Pac-Man Championship Edition

Im glad Gran Turismo and GTA are working Im going to buy ?100 worth of PSN credit and load it up with some PSP games I havent played.

Just upgraded my preorder from the WiFi version to the 3G Version, and as a bonus I am paying less for it (Was previously paying ?298).

So I have now got:

• Playstation Vita 3G
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Preorder Pack

Total of ?277 (with Game Loyalty points)

And on my ?71.50 Tesco Gift Card (from some trade-ins) I will be getting

• 16GB Memory Card
  • PS Vita Starter Pack

On top of that I will also get WipEout 2048 from Vodafone and Motorstorm RC on day one. :)

Vita Wi-Fi, 32GB memory card, WipEout & travel pouch all ordered from amazon. Everything except he Vita itself has shipped. I can't wait :)

I've never owned a PSP So I plan on playing a lot of games I missed out on. First up: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

Yeah this is torture, got my emails from Amazon, Wipeout 2048, the Starter Kit, and actually Hot Shots Golf (I wound up ordering it last night :laugh: ) all have shipped. Have to wait an entire week for the Vita.

I was up in the air over Hot Shots, but I historically love all types of golf games, especially arcadey ones, so once I thought about it a bit, seemed like a no brainer.

I also went out for out Valentines Day dinner with my wife last night, and it wound up being $60 less than I had put to the side for it, so I figured why not spend $30 on myself then pick up my wife some nice flowers. :shiftyninja: :D

I have an incredibly hectic week this week at work, so the next week or so should go by pretty fast hopefully. Hope to play some Twisted Medal in the meantime.

Im going to wait until the console has been out for a while before i purchase one ,due to the psp dieing of death, but i loved my psp at its height.

You're right DL it is torture. 9 days and counting.

I really want Hot Shots Golf but I don't want to pay ?30~ for it, I got Uncharted for ?35 and I can justify that because a) I'm a fanboy of Naughty Dog and b) it has 8-10 hours of content, 12 if you want to collect everything.

If it was ?20-25 I would have snapped it up in an instant.

You're right DL it is torture. 9 days and counting.

I really want Hot Shots Golf but I don't want to pay ?30~ for it, I got Uncharted for ?35 and I can justify that because a) I'm a fanboy of Naughty Dog and b) it has 8-10 hours of content, 12 if you want to collect everything.

If it was ?20-25 I would have snapped it up in an instant.

Wow yeah I do not blame you then. I just do not get how they do the whole pricing difference for you guys. As Hot Shots here is $29.99 (retails for $39.99, buy every place has it selling for $29.99 which was a huge reason I decided to pick it up). So checking a conversion website real quick, that means it should cost you ?19 if they charged you guys the same price they charge us for it. But instead it somehow costs you $45 USD. That is just crazy. Really does not make sense to me. So yeah as I said, do not blame you at all there.

I will definitely share how I feel about the game once I get to play it (and other games as well).

I almost purchased Super Stardust Delta off the PSN last night but decided to hold off until the Vita is in my hands. Just never know what could go wrong I guess, so want to make sure it is working, etc., before I go buying the digital copies of games.

I wanted to start a separate post on this so it was easy to keep a track of, as I thought some people may find it of interest.

IGN's Vita Launch Reviews Schedule

PlayStation Vita games are already on store shelves, the PlayStation Network already has Vita games on it, and the First Edition PlayStation Vita bundle hits the street early next week. So, when will IGN post PlayStation Vita game reviews? Very soon.

Below, you'll find the breakdown of when we're reviewing your most anticipated titles. Some games are listed as "Week of" because they don't have a specific embargo -- we're just waiting on them to go live and then we'll review them after we've played them. The list is subject to change, so check back often.

Monday, February 13th @ 6 a.m. PST

Tuesday, February 14th @ 9 a.m. PST

• Army Corps of Hell
  • Asphalt Injection
  • BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II Extend
  • Dungeon Hunter: Alliance
  • Lumines: Electronic Symphony
  • Michael Jackson: The Experience
  • Rayman Origins
  • Touch My Katamari

Wednesday, February 16th

• Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus

The Week of February 13th

• Escape Plan
  • Hustle Kings Vita
  • Plants Vs. Zombies
  • Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen
  • Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack

The Week of February 20th

• Dynasty Warriors Next
  • F1 2011

Depending on how on top of it I can stay, my plan is to update this posts with links to the individual reviews, the scores given out, etc.

Edited by DirtyLarry
Added All Links and Scores For Monday

I just paid off my preorder this mornin' and picked up a copy of Wipeout 2048 :D gonna pick up my first edition tomorrow morning :D