Playstation Vita Thread

Boxster17

So I started playing a lot more Hot Shots recently and now I'm pretty much addicted. Had been a long time since I had played much of any HSG game, so it took a little while before I fully got the hang of things again (putting more than anything). Playing 9 holes generally takes me a touch under 15mins which seems to be the perfect amount of time for me when I'm at work. Can see it taking a decently long time to unlock a lot of the gear though with how much I've been playing it I think it's doable in the long term (assuming you're playing it somewhat casually). Wasn't sure how much I'd actually get into this game when I purchased it but I'm glad I did as I've enjoyed it so much more than I initially expected.

DirtyLarry

So I started playing a lot more Hot Shots recently and now I'm pretty much addicted. Had been a long time since I had played much of any HSG game, so it took a little while before I fully got the hang of things again (putting more than anything). Playing 9 holes generally takes me a touch under 15mins which seems to be the perfect amount of time for me when I'm at work. Can see it taking a decently long time to unlock a lot of the gear though with how much I've been playing it I think it's doable in the long term (assuming you're playing it somewhat casually). Wasn't sure how much I'd actually get into this game when I purchased it but I'm glad I did as I've enjoyed it so much more than I initially expected.

Definitely very happy to read this, as crazy enough, I have yet to even put it in my Vita yet, and I purchased the retail version. Main reason is I know I am going to enjoy it, so really waiting for a big dry spell, but also kind of hoping one never happens. So it is a Catch 22.

Corris

So I ordered a Vita a couple days ago along with a 16GB memory card and a case, also picked up Uncharted off Ebay and one of those Hori screen protectors which are apparently the best ones to get.

In what can be seen as a cruel twist of fate, my Vita and Uncharted have arrived but the memory card at this point is no where to be seen, typical, guess I can stare at the Uncharted box for a while, also picked up Wipeout online so that will be here next week I imagine.

I also ended up getting some pre-order box with it which is strange considering it wasn't mentioned when buying it, has some PS earphones and a ?5 off voucher for Little Deviants, Super Stardust Delta, Hustle kings or Escape Plan.

Can't say I know which to get though, not that I can play any till my memory card arrives.

DirtyLarry

So I ordered a Vita a couple days ago along with a 16GB memory card and a case, also picked up Uncharted off Ebay and one of those Hori screen protectors which are apparently the best ones to get.

In what can be seen as a cruel twist of fate, my Vita and Uncharted have arrived but the memory card at this point is no where to be seen, typical, guess I can stare at the Uncharted box for a while, also picked up Wipeout online so that will be here next week I imagine.

I also ended up getting some pre-order box with it which is strange considering it wasn't mentioned when buying it, has some PS earphones and a ?5 off voucher for Little Deviants, Super Stardust Delta, Hustle kings or Escape Plan.

Can't say I know which to get though, not that I can play any till my memory card arrives.

Well I will say it should be worth the wait!

And out of those 4 games, I would absolutely say SSD or Escape Plan, and really depends on what you want. SSD is guaranteed to be good if you like the PS3 version, it is the same thing but on the Vita. Escape Plan us a unique experience, all touch based, and you will either love it or hate it, no middle ground. I think it has a demo so may be worth checking it out first. So I am leaning towards recommending SSD.

Enjoy, let us know what you think when you start playing.

Corris

Well I will say it should be worth the wait!

And out of those 4 games, I would absolutely say SSD or Escape Plan, and really depends on what you want. SSD is guaranteed to be good if you like the PS3 version, it is the same thing but on the Vita. Escape Plan us a unique experience, all touch based, and you will either love it or hate it, no middle ground. I think it has a demo so may be worth checking it out first. So I am leaning towards recommending SSD.

Enjoy, let us know what you think when you start playing.

I ended up picking Escape Plan, having played and finished Super Stardust HD on the PS3 I figured I would go for something new instead, but I haven't payed it yet, also picked up Plants vs. Zombies too for when I want a change of pace, I've finished it on other platforms but it is a great game.

Uncharted and WIpeout are both pretty good too, Wipeout looks especially beautiful on the Vita's screen, and it took a little bit of time to get used to the smaller analog sticks for Uncharted but it feels almost like a full PS3 game just on a small screen, using motion controls to slightly adjust the aim was a great idea for the device and hopefully more developers use it to an advantage too.

The device as a whole is pretty awesome, I would still shoot whoever came up with the browser, and I wish Sony had done what MS did and limit patches, I put Wipeout in and had a patch ready to download at 137MB I think it was, which for a device where a lot of people are going to have smaller memory cards having big patches is really going to limit what people can stick on their Vita's.

And hopefully once the suite comes out we will start getting some proper apps for the device, the Facebook and Twitter apps are alright but are pretty much behind functionality wise any other modern mobile devices offerings.

My next retail purchase will probably be Gravity Rush, it looks awesome and is one of the reasons I wanted to pick up a Vita, so I can't wait to get it.

DirtyLarry

Just got Mortal Kombat from Gamefly today. Checked it out, seemed exactly like the full console game just on the Vita. I actually rented the original game for the PS3 when it was released, so I do have a reference point for this comment. So if someone was into the series, seeing it being a nice little game for them. Absolutely. Seems like the definitive version of MK for a handheld. Not so much my cup of tea, but I will check it out for a few hours before I send it back. Who knows, may even get into it.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By LoneWolfSL
      Sony reverses PlayStation 3 and Vita store closure decision
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

In April, Sony revealed that its PlayStation 3, Portable, and Vita digital stores will soon become inaccessible, as the PlayStation Store will shut down across these platforms later this summer. However, after much criticism from the community, the decision has now been rolled back, though not entirely.

In a new announcement, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO and president Jim Ryan plainly said the company had originally "made the wrong decision". The PlayStation Store will continue to be available across the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita devices, however, the PlayStation Portable's digital store will close as previously planned on July 2.

Regarding how the company came to the original decision, Ryan said the following:

Sony's quick turnaround after vigorous community feedback is a similar move to what Microsoft pulled in January, where the company had to backpedal heavily on the Xbox Live Gold price doubling measures after facing a tremendous community backlash of its own.

"We see now that many of you are incredibly passionate about being able to continue purchasing classic games on PS3 and PS Vita for the foreseeable future, so I’m glad we were able to find a solution to continue operations," Ryan added regarding what had changed Sony's mind.

• By indospot
      Sony confirms PlayStation Store closure on PS3, PSP, and PS Vita
      by João Carrasqueira

Just over a week after initial reports came in that Sony would be shutting down the PlayStation Store on some of its older consoles, the company has now confirmed exactly that. In a notice on its website, Sony says the stores on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable will shut down on July 2, while the PlayStation Vita will shut down on August 27, the exact dates mentioned in the earlier report.

Over the weekend, some users noticed that the old web version of the PlayStation Store, which included the ability to buy games for these older platforms, is no longer accessible either. To be fair, Sony launched a new web portal for the Store in October and warned that only the platforms on that store - the PlayStation 4 and 5 - would be supported going forward, but the old version was still accessible until recently.

Until the closure of the PlayStation Store on each of these consoles, you can still buy games for them through their own built-in stores. After the closure, though, you won't be able to buy games, movies or other video content, or in-game purchases on these platforms. You also won't be able to redeem gift cards that give you wallet funds.

However, if you have vouchers for specific games or PlayStation Plus subscriptions, they will continue to work after these dates. You'll also still be able to re-download any content you've purchased, as well as games claimed through PlayStation Plus - as long as your subscription stays active. Should you have any funds in your wallet after the closure, you can use them on newer platforms or request to have them refunded to you.

While the closure of the PlayStation Store on older consoles may be upsetting to some users, all of these platforms are pretty old or irrelevant. If you've been holding off on a specific purchase on these consoles, now is the time to do it.

• By indospot
      Sony reportedly shutting down PlayStation Store on the PS3, Vita, and PSP this summer
      by João Carrasqueira

With the PlayStation 5 now out in the wild and slowly making its way to gamers (and scalpers) around the world, Sony seems to be planning to shut down the PlayStation Store on a number of its older consoles. This is according to a report by TheGamer, citing sources familiar with the matter, and it indicates that you'll soon be unable to buy digital games on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, and PlayStation Vita.

The first platforms on the death row are the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable, whose stores are set to close on July 2. It makes sense for these platforms to be shut down, seeing as both consoles are two generations old at this point, having received successors even before the PlayStation 5. The more recent PlayStation Vita is getting cut off on August 27, almost two months later.

The PlayStation Portable was first released on December 12, 2004 in Japan, and throughout 2005 in other markets. It was Sony's first portable console and it competed with the Nintendo DS, and it was fairly successful, with an estimated 80 to 82 million units sold in its lifetime - the last official number is 76.4 million and refers to March 2012, but units continued to be sold for a while after that.

Meanwhile, the PlayStation 3 was released in November 2006 in Japan and North America, and despite a slow start due to its ludicrous launch price, Sony turned the tide and sold 87.4 million units of the console (as of March 2017), beating out the Xbox 360 by a small margin.

As for the PlayStation Vita, it's the most recent of the three consoles, but it's also the least successful. Launched in late 2011 in Japan and early 2012 worldwide, the PlayStation Vita is the successor to the Portable, and it sold so poorly that Sony stopped reporting sales figures in 2012. You can't find any sales data for the console on Sony's corporate page, either, but it's estimated the console sold 16 million units in its lifetime. Because of that, despite being more recent, it wouldn't be surprising if Sony is discontinuing the PlayStation Store on it as well.

• By Usama Jawad96
      The PlayStation Network is down for certain games
      by Usama Jawad

Microsoft's Xbox Live service had an outage yesterday, resulting in gamers facing problems in connecting to it. This caused failed purchases, inability to sign in for some users, issues in launching certain games, and unavailability of xCloud gaming. While Microsoft was able to resolve the problem in six hours, it did admit that the fix took longer than anticipated to apply.

Today, it's the PlayStation Network's turn which appears to be down for several games.

According to Sony's dedicated network service status page, the PlayStation Network is facing issues in the "gaming and social" category. This affects the PlayStation Vita, 3, 4, and 5. The company cautions that:

It's unclear exactly how widespread the problem is, but the status appears to be the same across most regions including the US, UK, and Canada. Engadget reports that while some games like Fortnite and Fall Guys work just fine, players are having issues connecting to others such as Call of Duty: Warzone, Minecraft, Destruction AllStars, and Don't Starve Together.

The issue was officially confirmed by Sony on 6:33PM ET, but earlier reports point to it appearing on 1PM ET, which essentially means that it's been almost 12 hours since the partial outage began. It's currently unclear when a fix will be rolled out, but you can keep an eye on the network service status page for updates in the meantime.

• By Brandon H
      Neowin's Community Minecraft Server
      Server hosting is provided by BisectHosting

Discussion of connecting with pirated copied (including requests for offline mode for this reason) will result in you receiving a warning. The usual forum rules for piracy apply here.

Server Address:
      mc.neowin.net (204.44.126.159)
      Currently Running FTB Revelation - v3.4.0

Server Rules
      Be nice, polite, and respectful No Griefing, this is your only warning Do not build on others door steps without permissions, explore and find your own land Do not be annoying Do not build at spawn without permission of an admin Do not modify any other players builds without permission Have fun, if you don't have fun you will get slapped Label all builds in creative  

If you wish to join our server please post here with your Minecraft username; you must be an active member of the Neowin community.

Our server is powered by donations. Payments are made quarterly. Please help donate to the server to keep it running.