FBI: Do You Like Online Privacy? You May Be a Terrorist

+M2Ys4U
A flyer designed by the FBI and the Department of Justice to promote suspicious activity reporting in internet cafes lists basic tools used for online privacy as potential signs of terrorist activity. The document, part of a program called ?Communities Against Terrorism?, lists the use of ?anonymizers, portals, or other means to shield IP address? as a sign that a person could be engaged in or supporting terrorist activity. The use of encryption is also listed as a suspicious activity along with steganography, the practice of using ?software to hide encrypted data in digital photos? or other media. In fact, the flyer recommends that anyone ?overly concerned about privacy? or attempting to ?shield the screen from view of others? should be considered suspicious and potentially engaged in terrorist activities.

Logging into an account associated with a residential internet service provider (such as Comcast or AOL), an activity that could simply indicate that you are on a trip, is also considered a suspicious activity. Viewing any content related to ?military tactics? including manuals or ?revolutionary literature? is also considered a potential indicator of terrorist activity. This would mean that viewing a number of websites, including the one you are on right now, could be construed by a hapless employee as an highly suspicious activity potentially linking you to terrorism.

The ?Potential Indicators of Terrorist Activities? contained in the flyer are not to be construed alone as a sign of terrorist activity and the document notes that ?just because someone?s speech, actions, beliefs, appearance, or way of life is different; it does not mean that he or she is suspicious.? However, many of the activities described in the document are basic practices of any individual concerned with security or privacy online. The use of PGP, VPNs, Tor or any of the many other technologies for anonymity and privacy online are directly targeted by the flyer, which is distributed to businesses in an effort to promote the reporting of these activities.

Source: Public Intelligence

Daedroth

What next? Do you use a computer? You may be a potential terrorist.

• Like 1
Knife Party

i'm a terrorist! baka baka muhammed jihad...dirka dirka :shiftyninja:

• Like 2
Phouchg

Good. People deserve this.

Intersect

omg are they serious.

i must be a terriost becasue

1 i use a VPN

2 i use truecrypt

3 i loginto a residential ISP

4 i am a army brat and love reading up on military tactic and hardware. (if you are american and own a gun are you also labled a Potential terriost)?

damn, now that ive said these things i might just get arested when i next decide to fly to the usa.

i had better not go paintballing this weekend, i might be training for an attack.

who ever wrote that artical is a nut job.

Daedroth

Anyone who researches say, the American Revolutionary War for educational purposes is a terrorist. Isn't that on almost every curriculum in America?

Also.

American government computers are shielded from view = American government are terrorists.

ahhell

Dear America,

Fix your country and stop ****ing up the Internet for the rest of the world.

Thanks,

Rest of the world

• Like 3
Sadelwo

"Use computers to purchase....acetone...."

Wow that means Avon are terrorist suppliers. Better tell my friends to stop supporting them!

Lingwo

I don't like online privacy... i am a terrorist though.

Mythbusted.

ichi

They forgot this one:

• Anyone producing and/or distributing scaremongering pamphlets, flyers or official public statements that directly associate perfectly legit computer practices with terrorism should be considered suspicious and potentially engaged in terrorist activities.

• Like 1
Jebadiah

LOL This is almost as good as the feminist "you support rape because of everything you do or don't do in life" article. :rofl:

They forgot this one:

• Anyone producing and/or distributing scaremongering pamphlets, flyers or official public statements that directly associate perfectly legit computer practices with terrorism should be considered suspicious and potentially engaged in terrorist activities.

+1 I wonder why the FBI skipped that one. :laugh:

Rohdekill

FBI must be still be referencing the Hoover manuals.

citan

lol, that's awesome. I just love how they sold the "terrorists" to all world, especially the US, after 9/11. We should all be scared of people from the middle east! More bombs and killing of innocent civillians!

ramesees

First you have "terrorist" events in the traditional sense - causing terror to others

Next you create laws dealing with "terrorists" (including their arrest / capture and evenutal detention (with or without trial)) ensuring that the language is vague enough to be slightly ambiguous as to who would be affected

Next you change the defintion of terrorist to include activities / people / situations which are non-traditional

Eventually you distort the meaning of "terrorist" so much the word loses all meaning, but you have all these laws in place ready and waiting to deal with these "threats to national security" etc... and you can pick up anyone from anywhere and get rid of them.

Eventually the word "terrorist" will be anyone who doesnt agree 100% with the government, and anyone who questions official policy. This is fascism pure and simple and something we are all going to fall foul off in the near future. Governments will do anything to hold onto their powerbase and ensure that they and they alone can direct every facet of our lives.

The last thing they need is the population thinking for themselves - questioning what is going on, sharing this information about and effectively trying to reclaim some sort of power over their own lives.

Ently

omg are they serious.

i must be a terriost becasue

1 i use a VPN

2 i use truecrypt

3 i loginto a residential ISP

4 i am a army brat and love reading up on military tactic and hardware. (if you are american and own a gun are you also labled a Potential terriost)?

damn, now that ive said these things i might just get arested when i next decide to fly to the usa.

i had better not go paintballing this weekend, i might be training for an attack.

who ever wrote that artical is a nut job.

TERRORIST?!?! Ha with what you're doing they would most likely pin you as responsible solely for 911 with their mindset! :p

DrunkenBeard

Do you lack common-sense ? You may be an anti-terror agent. Bonus points if you lack sense of humor too.

Pygmy_Hippo

I take it the FBI is an open book to all Americans and doesn't hold any secret data or conduct clandestine activities otherwise....

OMG THE FBI ARE TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Rudy

I like privacy in general, that must mean I'm quite the terrorist :/

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By News Staff
      Save up to 58% off subscription plans to Speedify VPN
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes from our VPN section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time, you can save up to 58% off subscriptions to Speedify VPN. Connectivity reimagined — this VPN features multiple internet channel bonding, data encryption, app unblocking and more.

Whether at home, work, or on-the-go, Speedify is the only connectivity tool and VPN that allows you to use all of your Internet connections at once. It uses channel bonding technology that distributes your online traffic across all available connections for optimal performance. Everything including uploads, downloads, web browsing, and streaming videos can be accelerated by using Speedify. It also gets you more stable connectivity: if you get disconnected from one of your connections, Speedify will seamlessly failover to your other working Internet connection(s) without skipping a beat, wherever you are. Plus, it secures your data using VPN-grade encryption, delivering more than twice the performance of conventional VPNs. It protects you from unsecure networks and helps you unlock restricted content without compromising on speed.

Channel Bonding. Use multiple internet connections at the same time to optimize performance Encryption. Keep your information private. Protect yourself from prying eyes & unsecure networks Connection stability. Stay online if one of your connections drops, even in the middle of an important file transfer or while live streaming Zero logging. No tracking of online activity and no sharing of any personal information with any third parties Accessibility. Unblock your favorite apps & services while at work, school, or anywhere else Good to know
      Max Nr of Devices: 5 Plan(s) only available to new users Updates included License deadline: redeem within 30 days of purchase For terms, specifications, and license info please click here.

Here's the deal:
      For example: A 1-year subscription to Speedify VPN normally costs* $71, but it can be yours for just $29.99 for a limited time, that's a saving of $41.01 (58%) off!

There are also 2- and 3-year subscription plans available.

>> Get this deal, or learn more about it <<
      See all of our current VPN deals. This is a limited-time sale!
      Get $1 credit for every $25 spent · Give $10, Get $10 · 10% off for first-time buyers.

Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out the following offers:

The Win Your Dream 2020 Tesla Model 3 Giveaway
      The Nintendo Gaming Bundle Giveaway 20% off Ivacy VPN subscription with coupon code IVACY20 NordVPN subscription at up to 68% off for a 2 year plan Private Internet Access VPN subscription at up to 71% off Unlocator VPN or SmartDNS unblock Geoblock with 7-day free trial Disable Sponsored posts · Other recent deals · Preferred partner software

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs.

• By Copernic
      O&O ShutUp10 1.8.1414
      by Razvan Serea

O&O ShutUp10 a small portable utility that provides access to almost 50 privacy-related tweaks, most of them hidden or not easily accessible to the average computer users. Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by deciding which unwanted functions should be deactivated. Using ShutUp10 you can easily disable Windows Defender, turn off telemetry, disable peer-to-peer updates, turn off Wi-Fi Sense, disable automatic Windows updates, turn off and reset Cortana and more.

ShutUp10 allows you to create a System Restore point before you apply any changes, so that you can revert your system at any time if you run into problems.

O&O ShutUp10 is entirely free and does not have to be installed – it can be simply run directly and immediately on your PC. And it will not install or download retrospectively unwanted or unnecessary software, like so many other programs do these days!

O&O ShutUp10 1.8.1414 changelog:

FIX: NCSI setting upgraded to critical, as it can lead to problems under Windows 10 2004

Available in German, English, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian and Chinese (simplified)

Download: O&O ShutUp10 1.8.1414 | 1.3 MB (Freeware)
      View: O&O ShutUp10 Home Page

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By zikalify
      Open letter asks tech firms to stop targeting ads at users under 18
      by Paul Hill

An open letter has been signed in the U.K. by a member of parliament (MPs), academics, and children’s rights advocates to bring an end to advertising to users younger than 18 by big tech firms such as Facebook and Google. Among those signing were Caroline Lucas MP, Amnesty International, Privacy International, and Friends of the Earth.

The letter was published just days after a lawsuit was lodged against Google accusing it of breaking U.K. and E.U. data protection laws by targeting under-13s with addictive programming and using their data for advertising purposes. The letter calls on protections to be extended to all children under the age of 18.

A section of the open letter reads as follows:

In the case of Google, it allows all users to disable ad personalisation within a user’s account settings. To address some of the concerns being raised by the signatories, it could automatically set this toggle to disabled for all children’s accounts. While this may not address some of the tracking that Google performs, it will eliminate the problem of behavioural advertising.

• By indospot
      Microsoft is updating the privacy settings on Xbox, no longer collecting voice data
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft has announced that it's building on the commitment shared in April of last year by updating the privacy settings for Xbox users. As it promised at the time, the updates aim to give users more control and provide more transparency regarding the types of data it collects.

In the coming weeks, when users first sign into their consoles, they'll see an overview of the data required diagnostic data that Microsoft collects. This message will also show up on Xbox Series S and X consoles when they launch on November 10.

The required diagnostic data includes error details that prevent games and apps running, errors with the console setup, and errors related to software updates. Naturally, this data is required so Microsoft can keep things working as you'd expect them to. The new message will let users learn more about the data being collected, though you'll be forced to accept it if you want to use the console.

One thing that's changed is that Microsoft is no longer collecting data from voice searches or speech-to-text conversions. According to the company, it collects data with the goal of supporting "positive player experiences" on the console, and it has concluded that this data isn't necessary for that purpose.

In addition to the required data, users will also be given the option to share optional diagnostic data, which includes actions you take while using the console, performance data, and enhanced error reporting with more details on the conditions that cause crashes or errors. Like with required data, you can learn more about what's being collected, and in this case, you can choose not to share said data. You can also change this setting after the fact in the console's settings.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Apple delays new privacy feature limiting app tracking capabilities until 2021
      by Jay Bonggolto

Apple won't be enforcing, for now, its new privacy policy that will require apps to request for permission from users before tracking their activities and collecting their data. The tech giant announced today that it is delaying that feature until early next year.

The privacy rule was initially set to go live along with the release of its latest operating system this fall after debuting in June during Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference. Apple says it is now giving developers more time to prepare for the upcoming change, which is expected to limit the way ads are targeted on iOS 14, iPadOS 14, and tvOS 14.

Advertising titans such as Facebook have criticized the app privacy feature because it will make it more difficult to track user data by preventing apps from collecting that data using Apple’s device identifier, without their consent. Developers will also need to share information on their App Store product pages about how their apps are collecting the users' data. For consumers, the feature allows them to opt out of in-app ad tracking, in which case apps won't be able to collect the identifier for advertisers (IDFA), a critical tool for advertising.

Today's announcement means developers will be required to incorporate that option into their apps starting in early 2021. Apple will announce more details, including an update to the App Store review guidelines, in the fall.