Five Reasons why Windows 8 will be dead on arrival

• Faster , takes <10 secs too boot , uses lesser ram
  • Brings app store to windows , a boon to developers
  • Can work on Desktops , ARM , Tablets and is more touch friendly. Uniting different platforms.
  • Metro UI enables App centric desktop computing , another boon for netbooks etc where one app is mostly opened at a time (Mostly web browser)

Opps did i just mention ONE SINGLE thing about Windows 8 that they don?t already get from Windows 7-or a great desktop Linux like Mint or Mac OS X Lion, Which you can?t ?

EDIT :

• Like 1

Where?s Windows 2000 ? Doesn?t that screw up your prediction a little bit ? ;)

Well, with all the Windows 8 fiasco that I see around on the web, I'm glad to be a Mac user.

Lion has seen a lot of improvements since its release and is now in nearly perfect form.

I don?t have to worry about the next Mac OS X being good or bad before 2014.

He's just using the versions aimed at the average consumer (WinNT isn't there either).

But then the whole thing falls apart when you realize Win3.1 and Win95 aren't there...

It's hard to imagine that this OS will fare well in the enterprise setting,

Yet there are increasing reports that the ipad, a touch only device is increasingly seeing adoption in the enterprise. That would indicate that there is potentially much more value in a Windows 8 touch device with its support for touch applications and also legacy, established enterprise applications making it a perfect fit. The only obstacle is if people are just too mired in their anti-Microsoft bias to consider Windows 8, as is increasingly being displayed like in this article.

• Like 2

Here's the fun part. Windows 7 and Vista were pretty similar and yet while one failed, the other was successful, so it's really hard to say if Windows 8 will fail or succeed.

However, Windows Vista (failure) was pretty different from Windows XP (success) as it's successor.

Yet there are increasing reports that the ipad, a touch only device is increasingly seeing adoption in the enterprise. That would indicate that there is potentially much more value in a Windows 8 touch device with its support for touch applications and also legacy, established enterprise applications making it a perfect fit. The only obstacle is if people are just too mired in their anti-Microsoft bias to consider Windows 8, as is increasingly being displayed like in this article.

IMO this is too little too late for Windows 8 on a platform. Just like the latest Windows Phone 7 was.

The iPad is seeing adoption because of 3 things : its lean interface, its strong potential, and its large number of apps available at this moment. Windows 8 is already missing the third point, because it?s too late in the race. And when you?re established on a platform, it?s hard to move to another or simply port your apps, especially because developing on iOS requires you to work in Mac OS X.

I guess only time will tell if it?s a success or not. But personally, as a desktop it?s a complete failure as soon as you stand out of the classic Windows interface, and as a tablet, while it is a great platform, it is too little too late in the race.

However, Windows Vista (failure) was pretty different from Windows XP (success) as it's successor.

and was slow and took more system resources , unlike win7

Windows 98 = Attacked for integrating the Internet and the Desktop. ActiveDesktop, the biggest feature in Windows 98, is rarely used and eventually becomes deprecated.

Windows ME = Mainly a marketing release alongside Windows 2000.

Windows XP = Attacked for a Fisher Price look to its interface, and on release having a lot of problems including with WiFi connectivity. Problems are later addressed in big service packs.

Windows Vista = Almost exactly the same as Windows 7, which would be hailed as a success, but had some problems on older computers that didn't have compatible drivers and had low memory.

Windows 7 = Seen as a success even though it was basically Windows Vista+.

Like I've said before. The same people who criticize will be using it. And really, haven't we've had similar complaints on all versions of Windows since the Internets gave us chat rooms/boxes????

• Like 2

Windows 8 is already DOA in my mind.

Aren't you one of those XP holdouts? Yeah, we'll definitely take your opinion seriously. :rolleyes:

• Like 5

In spite of the negative feedback, the best way to gauge Windows 8's actual appeal is by how long it takes KDE to adopt its design principles.

It's usually within three months of RTM. I'm expecting a very intentionally somewhat-but-not-entirely-metro-esque-ish update to KDE by next spring.

• Like 2

I see myself using Windows 7 for 5+ more years til microsoft comes to their senses, and releases windows 9 for desktop.

By the time Windows 9 comes around, desktops will probably be touch based anyways which is what metro was designed for. We'll probably all be using tablets with desktop capabilities by then. There are already docks out there that basically turn tablets into a laptop/desktop.

• Like 1

I love how the OP makes the assumption that many (if not most) pc owners will "upgrade" to win8 on their computers.... They won't.. Never have in great numbers. The biggest jump in adoption comes from people buying new computers. And with regards to that... They'll usually take whatever's preloaded, simply because they really don't KNOW any better. Sure you may have a small minority of customers asking OEMs to put "old windows" (7) on their system and not Win8, but as was the case for WinVista, that was MUCH more of a "FUD-induced" move than anything. Most of the people who demanded XP back instead of Vista were just reacting to all the FUD about it from supposed Tech Gurus.... Funny, they didn't seem to mind Windows Vista much when it was "spruced up" a little and called "Windows 7".

• Like 2

You can't really compare how the enterprise are viewing the iPad/tablets to how they will respond to Windows 8.

That combined legacy/touch ecosystem in one OS is what would be offputting to them IMO.

No? all versions of windows thus far kept the traditional desktop experience, which is common sense, and has developed into what it is for a reason. Not a mobile touch UI.

and i bet in a year we'll see the opposite, You'll be using windows 7 along with the rest of us.

Actually yes, every major update to Windows is met with hold-outs who shun the new version and wag their fingers fitfully at changes they've personally deemed unnecessary. Windows 95 had people changing the shell to progman.exe, Windows XP had people accusing it of just being a Fisher Price GUI on top of Windows 2000 and they'd rather stick with 2k, Vista was bloated and they were going to stick to XP, and now 8 is taking away their precious program manager again Start menu.

You may not have been as interested in operating systems over the last 20 years as you may feel you are today, but really, this attitude about metro is IDENTICAL to the attitude that has met every major release of Windows from the beginning.

Hell, even the launch of the first version of Windows NT, despite the massive revolutionary changes and progress made by its development, was criticized for not being 100% backwards compatible with DOS applications and accused of throwing away what consumers were used to. And THAT had the exact same GUI as Windows 3.1.

• Like 2

IMO this is too little too late for Windows 8 on a platform. Just like the latest Windows Phone 7 was.

The iPad is seeing adoption because of 3 things : its lean interface, its strong potential, and its large number of apps available at this moment. Windows 8 is already missing the third point, because it?s too late in the race. And when you?re established on a platform, it?s hard to move to another or simply port your apps, especially because developing on iOS requires you to work in Mac OS X.

I guess only time will tell if it?s a success or not. But personally, as a desktop it?s a complete failure as soon as you stand out of the classic Windows interface, and as a tablet, while it is a great platform, it is too little too late in the race.

I think this is exactly why Windows 8 is better. The interface is minimalist, just as lean, it has even more potential because its a desktop OS that has practically limitless possibilities and applications galore exist already for Windows 7 and more will come by the time it officially launches.

And really, how late is too late? The Kindle Fire was launched last year yet is already being claimed to be the best selling android tablet. Unless people stop buying computers dead when Windows 8 hits, I dont see why it wont start making inroads into the incumbents within a year.

I really dont agree that somehow the technology we use is now set in stone and nothing can replace ios or android devices. They came from nowhere to lead the market, nothing suggests to me that Microsoft cant be a strong, successful alternative, especially considering that its still Windows we're talking about, and not a limited OS like ios or android.

• Like 2

There is no way windows is going down... someone will buy it but the only problem here is not win 8 itself but win 7.

win 7 is a huge success so it will be difficult to move everyone from win 7...

You can't really compare how the enterprise are viewing the iPad/tablets to how they will respond to Windows 8.

That combined legacy/touch ecosystem in one OS is what would be offputting to them IMO.

I think having an OS that enables them to support their current applications and use newer web-based applications without sacrificing any control over their corporate environment and security would be quite appealing to them.

• Like 2

Can you really see yourself sitting at a desktop with your arms constantly in the air touching the screen on your computer? isnt comfortable, or intuitive whats so ever.

I get tired just using my touchpad :p

Frankly this opinion has never struck me as anything other than short sighted. The idea that a touch-enabled desktop will NEVER be appealing. Not simply "won't be appealing on today's hardware", but NEVER. Under any circumstances. In the entire future of mankind. No matter what form factors may come. Herpty derp.

We already hold our arms out over keyboards and mice. The only difference is that our arms are being somewhat supported by the desk at the time. Considering the potential of surface computing, curved displays, and everything else that is popping up in labs all over the world, to think that TODAY'S form factors somehow pose eternal limits on what personal computing can ever hope to become is daft and, frankly, makes you seem to lack the sort of excitement about change that really ought to be characteristic of anyone that styles themselves a tech enthusiast.

I can't imagine living the sad and depressing life of believing that a product will never exist simply because I, personally, can't imagine how it would look and function.

• Like 1