Five Reasons why Windows 8 will be dead on arrival

Hi. Bye.

Seriously, how many more threads do we need make to :argue: the validity of the metro? We get it. Some of you hate it. Stick with Win7 and don't waste your time installing the CP in a couple of weeks if you are so convinced.

• Like 3

Well, if you're talking about developers having to learn new things, I think you have to remember that Visual Studio 11, (the version that allows you to develop Metro apps,) includes all the languages of previous versions of Visual Studio, & now brings in HTML & JavaScript developers into the fold. The game I briefly/recently stated on Neowin I am developing, Project, "Is this a Bad Game?" (once again, you read that right,) was originally going to be developed for another platform that makes HTML be on a lesser level than before, ( http://www.realease.com/shogo ,) (which is why I chose HTML in the 1st place,) & with Windows 8 doing great in that regard, it was the perfect thing to switch to when I decided to use a different platform.

• Like 1

Hi. Bye.

Seriously, how many more threads do we need to :argue: the validity of the metro?

It'll keep going until roughly the release candidate of Windows 8. After that, the rate of changing opinions will plummet, with some stragglers picking their attitude after it actually goes to market and they see it implemented and what applications are targeting it. After that, passion over the topic will be reduced to approximately the levels of "32-bit or 64-bit?" today.

my point is, developers/companies/people were not prepared in time for Vista's launch and we know how that turned out. Vista took all the blame.

Developers/Companies/People literally had over a year to get drivers and software working before Vista was released.

It's worse than that. They're jumping to conclusions based on pre-beta information.

UI doesn't change much this late in the game, so you can't really pull the "it's pre-beta!" crap card.

• Like 2

Metro is not Windows. It's just some shady app Microsoft came up with to try to make the operating system feel more in line with today's technology, and it does nothing but take a step backwards.

I really hope what Metro will not be part of Windows; just an tablet interface or some kind of system application like you say!

I think Windows 8 will be a success in the tablet market, if Microsoft somehow do the same thing what they did with Windows 7 before they launched the final RTM version; they let everyone try the betas, so they can report what they like, what they don't, and the flags of the OS. Now if MS it's gonna do the same thing, Windows could get an level on a par with Windows 7.

The most important thing here is the final user experience. If the users says they hate Metro, well just kill it for the desktop version, and then try something else. I they like it, well, at least try to make it a lot better, not just port the ugly interface from Windows Phone.

Still I think don't like Metro. but just the time and the users will tell.

• Like 2

Developers/Companies/People literally had over a year to get drivers and software working before Vista was released.

Doesn't change the fact that they did a botched job of it. It's been widely acknowledged that the two hiccups to Vista's release were the Vista 'capable' fiasco and some of the worst driver support in the history of 32-bit computing.

UI doesn't change much this late in the game, so you can't really pull the "it's pre-beta!" crap card.

There's actually a lot of evidence contrary to this opinion. GUI doesn't change much after the beta cycle begins, but the vast majority of opinions floating around here are based entirely on a developer preview that was so alpha, it was practically a concept build.

From what I've seen and tried, Windows 8 gives me no reasons to upgrade and plenty to not, I don't like Metro in any way and think it will be a failure on the desktop scene

That being said, I will still try the CP when it comes out in hopes I'll see some value in it, but currently, no, not at all.

Fwiw, I won't be upgrading to Windows 8 on my desktop or laptop. Windows 7 works just fine, and I haven't seen anything yet in 8 that makes me want it. Imo, the amalgamation of the traditional desktop and Metro will just get in the way of actually using my computer.

On the other hand, I'm sure Windows 8 will find it's place on pads and phones, and it will be a nice experience. I feel sure that this is Microsoft's main target anyway, and if a few PC's get sold with 8 on, and enthusiasts upgrade then this will be considered a bonus.

Saying it's DOA is wrong. It won't have the same impact as XP or 7 has on desktops, but it will be successful in it's own right.

Frankly I have no idea whether or not Windows 8 will be a success or not. But I am getting tired of seeing these threads kicking off with the same arguments against or for over and over again.

Windows 8 is already DOA in my mind.

I agree, I'm telling everyone they should go buy a good PC with Win7 now, and don't wait for Win8 unless it's a tablet. It just seems to be for pushing tablet technology away from Google or Apple. I do not see why I should upgrade domain computers other than security issues that may or may not actually exist. At this point the only thing I see that users need, is the built-in spell check that should have been in IE5.

The article makes sense, but I disagree about tablets... It would be wonderful to run a full OS like Windows 8 on a tablet... I mean, only if it can run legacy x86 code, of course.

The question begs though - how many of hte haters came to Windows *with* 7, Vista, or XP (and thus don't remember the minimalist UI that Windows 9x/NT/2000 had?

Well, I still use TotalCommander aka WindowsCommander aka Windows 3.1 file manager looks, lol.

Flat out honesty here.....I'm very mixed on windows 8.

the reasons it does appeal to me:

HTPC use, metro start screen is excellent for that.

Tablet use, touch friendly controls and contrast in text to background, easy visibility in wonky lighting conditions.

Server use:improved storage features and hopefully improved hypervisors and policy controls.

the reasons it does not appeal to me:

Power desktop use: interface might get in the way with the flashyness, icons are too big for having the screen 2 ft away from you. metro is also an eye catching interface, thus attention might be drawn to what you'r doing easier, thus others might "watch" you all the time and that's creepy.

I was on a call the other day where people were talking about iPads in the enterprise and how people want the form factor - especially sales force, etc... but there were headaches - printing issues and lack of a file system with NTFS-like security were some of the biggies. While on the call I was thinking if only Windows 8 was here already... imagine a tablet form factor where the user can run a full version of an Office application with full access to the file system - as well as the complete printing subsystem that has already been perfected in today's Windows. Not to mention new niceties like the Share charm that allow you to register apps and services for sharing - in ways that Windows handles for them - so the apps don't have to even know each other exist... that is the kind of new feature that I hear very few people talking about today - but could be very very helpful.

I'm imagining a world where instead of arriving at my desk and docking my laptop, I will be docking a tablet - so taking a tablet to meetings and conferences, etc. rather than a full laptop.

• Like 1

Can you really see yourself sitting at a desktop with your arms constantly in the air touching the screen on your computer? isnt comfortable, or intuitive whats so ever.

I get tired just using my touchpad :p

Nope, not in it's current state lol, but I picture a desktop in a few years actually... well... being a desk with a touch screen titled up for touch input. Maybe even projection based such as surface.

The real deal here is not what we in the tech forums think about it, but how the average person will see it. How many tablets are available, at what price point for what they get, and how cool it looks in the commercials. Just sayin.

You guys have to stop thinking of Metro as a touch only UI. Also, if anyone thought we would still be using traditional desktop computing for much longer, you should really re-evaluate that. You can see for a while now there are signs that the way we interact with desktop machines is going to change. Give it a few more years, and I'm willing to bet the mouse will disappear completely.

BTW how is this thread still open ? It's cleary a huge troll and OP deserve a sanction imo.

If you weren't so quick to ask for a sanction on me, you would freakin know that these are NOT my opinions. I only post what I find. I do NOT agree with anything Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols has stated.

I was on a call the other day where people were talking about iPads in the enterprise and how people want the form factor - especially sales force, etc... but there were headaches - printing issues and lack of a file system with NTFS-like security were some of the biggies. While on the call I was thinking if only Windows 8 was here already... imagine a tablet form factor where the user can run a full version of an Office application with full access to the file system - as well as the complete printing subsystem that has already been perfected in today's Windows. Not to mention new niceties like the Share charm that allow you to register apps and services for sharing - in ways that Windows handles for them - so the apps don't have to even know each other exist... that is the kind of new feature that I hear very few people talking about today - but could be very very helpful.

But, with the cloud we shouldn't need much/any of that. :D :pinch:

Would it not be more easy/cheap/compatible/.. to simply to use Google Docs in the first place? Unless you are getting Office for free of course? :/

You guys have to stop thinking of Metro as a touch only UI. Also, if anyone thought we would still be using traditional desktop computing for much longer, you should really re-evaluate that. You can see for a while now there are signs that the way we interact with desktop machines is going to change. Give it a few more years, and I'm willing to bet the mouse will disappear completely.

The mouse, "and the desktop itself". :shifty:

But, with the cloud we shouldn't need much/any of that. :D :pinch:

windows 8 and the fluffy cloud sounds good. using a tablet under the x-mas tree? possibly.,... If I bother to get one this x-mas.