Five Reasons why Windows 8 will be dead on arrival

Some reasons I will be buying Windows 8 (yes really I pay for my copy of windows)

1. It's faster than Windows 7
  2. I can repair my PC without formating it
  3. Has a build in antivirus which is better than previous versions (not to mention i am already happy with MS Security Essentials)
  4. Has Hyper-V 3.0 so I can run my development VMs from my workstation
  5. It synchronises my profile and settings to skydrive meaning I dont have to reconfigure every time i change pc/device
  6. Has native support for my USB 3.0 motherboard (plus other modern peripherals)
  7. Gets rid of the start menu (Wished it was gone back when Vista was coming out since it outlived its usefuleness)
  8. HTML5 Apps supported natively meaning that I dont even have to compile my code anymore
  9. I like the touch interface (will be getting two touch monitors for this)
  10. ****es off some of my friends who insist i switch to Linux
  11. I can have a proper business tablet with handwriting recognition, cloud storage and office! (I take all my notes in onenote so the idea of not taking the laptop with me at customers is very attractive)

12. **** off all the people out there who think it'll fail. :shifty:

• Like 2

But, with the cloud we shouldn't need much/any of that. :D :pinch:

Would it not be more easy/cheap/compatible/.. to simply to use Google Docs in the first place? Unless you are getting Office for free of course? :/

Actually the cloud helps to drive the need for that - if I have a Facebook app that is registered as having consumable photos with Windows as well as a Twitter app that is registered as a consumer of photos - I can use the Share charm to pull a friends photo from their Facebook feed and post it with a comment to Twitter without having to open the one app first, save it to my hard drive, and then browse out to that location from the other app. Local storage gets less and less important - and the two apps do not have to be coded to understand each other. It is exactly the kind of thing I would expect the Operating System of the future to enable.

Reason Number 6: Business will not adopt to this when Windows 7 has proven to be stable. P.S., I agree with the OP. But in order for Microsoft to succeed, they have to fail. Windows Me brought Windows XP, Windows Vista brought Windows 7. I can't wait for Windows 9.

• Like 2

But, with the cloud we shouldn't need much/any of that. :D :pinch:

Would it not be more easy/cheap/compatible/.. to simply to use Google Docs in the first place? Unless you are getting Office for free of course? :/

The cloud is still horribly impractical for most people for one reason - lack of bandwidth. It's still impractical for many *enterprises* for another - lack of security.

Why Windows 8 works (from my personal experiences with the DP) -

1. All my applications (and most of my games) work with the DP *as is* - no hackery, patchery, or even Compatibility Mode needed. (That includes Office 2010 x64 by the way. Therefore I'd need, or want, Google Docs why?)

2. Better internal utilities and applications than Windows 7. The improvements to Task Manager alone are plenty of incentive; throw in Windows Image Mounter and Burner (the two previously separate items are now not only a single application, but part of the core - as they should be; this is something Linux distributions, the BSDs, and even OS X have long had).

3. Microsoft Security Essentials 3.0 - While it was called Windows Defender in the Developer Preview, make no mistake - the core is identical to that of the current beta of MSE/Forefront Client for Enterprises and SMBs. I have one quibble - it's fast on the draw with regards to what turns out later to be false positives.

4. Hyper-V Client - The successor to Virtual PC and XPMode in Windows 7. It adds greater support on allowed operating systems, can be remoted and can itself be an RDP client. While it does require SLAT/EPT support, if you have a second-generation Intel Core i-series or current-generation AMD Athlon II/Phenom II, you're in business right now. (And if you're looking to upgrade, it's supremely cheap hardware-wise; what's YOUR excuse?)

5. Better security all around - For home users alone, it's far easier to lock up (and lock down) than Windows 7+SP1 - which is no slouch.

6. Immersive - Despite running the DP on traditional hardware, Immersive rocks *because* it's simple, minimalist, and rather bare-boned. Menu shortcuts that you never use (or have stopped using) become so much unneeded (and unwanted) clutter - and I loathe clutter. It took launching a Windows 2000 Professional VM to remind me exactly what the Windows menu used to look like (and how fat, cluttered, and full of unused - not to mention duplicative - items it has gotten). Immersive for non-touch devices is basically a reboot of the Windows menu to where it used to be.

• Like 1

Actually the cloud helps to drive the need for that - if I have a Facebook app that is registered as having consumable photos with Windows as well as a Twitter app that is registered as a consumer of photos - I can use the Share charm to pull a friends photo from their Facebook feed and post it with a comment to Twitter without having to open the one app first, save it to my hard drive, and then browse out to that location from the other app. Local storage gets less and less important - and the two apps do not have to be coded to understand each other. It is exactly the kind of thing I would expect the Operating System of the future to enable.

I'm glad somebody actually is picking up on the share charm.

Right now there is not much use for it yet but once we have enough Metro apps this will be a really cool feature of windows 8

• Like 1

I can't wait for Windows 9.

They're likely to go 100% Metro UI in Windows 9. Windows 8 is a gradual shift away from the Aero UI to Metro UI, so if you don't like Metro then you're in for disappointment.

• Like 1

They're likely to go 100% Metro UI in Windows 9. Windows 8 is a gradual shift away from the Aero UI to Metro UI, so if you don't like Metro then you're in for disappointment.

That unless they get an overwhelmingly negative response for Metro with the release of Windows 8. They don't want to push something that make people go "DO NOT WANT."

I remember a while back articles stating the iPhone would be doa. I remember seeing articles saying the iPod would be doa.

Yet both the iPhone and iPad are far from dead.

Written by a blog that is titled "Linux and Open Source". Yeah, I'm sure that's a credible source for legitimate reasons on why it'll fail. /s

Give them some credit. Linux people know a thing or two about dead on arrival operating systems.

No? all versions of windows thus far kept the traditional desktop experience, which is common sense, and has developed into what it is for a reason. Not a mobile touch UI.

and i bet in a year we'll see the opposite, You'll be using windows 7 along with the rest of us.

Actually no I won't. As a Systems Administrator and an avid Windows user since 3.1, I will be migrating to Windows 8 at home, work, and Server 8 at work. I also used to teach computer classes and fostered the same ideals about trying something new to my students. If I didn't, I wouldn't be doing my job, let alone preparing them for things like troubleshooting all versions of Windows issues and whatnot.

The same rhetoric you are spouting has been told time and time again, as far back as Windows 95 from what I recall of people blasting that. Oh, and you are incorrect on your "all versions of windows thus far kept the traditional desktop experience" is wrong. We saw a major change between 3.11 and 95 and a minor, default one between XP and Vista and Vista and 7.

Actually no I won't. As a Systems Administrator and an avid Windows user since 3.1, I will be migrating to Windows 8 at home, work, and Server 8 at work. I also used to teach computer classes and fostered the same ideals about trying something new to my students. If I didn't, I wouldn't be doing my job, let alone preparing them for things like troubleshooting all versions of Windows issues and whatnot.

Where were you when I was going through my computer classes? My professors scoffed at the idea of using anything else than XP. They kept saying Microsoft would be supporting XP forever, and that the changes in Windows Vista and Windows 7 were only temporary.

Vista only bombed because almost noone wrote drivers for it, so lots of devices didnt work. Also people tried installing it on Museum pieces that could barely run XP. The Driver situation with Windows 7 has been resolved now, Microsoft made a big decision to bring drivers out of kernel level, (minimising the chances of bad drivers bringing the whole system down with it). And Windows 8 will largely be Windows 7 underneath.

Even if I don't get on with Metro (I'm going to try and deal with it in a normal environment, not just the DP before I judge it) I will love using the Aero desktop, with all the improvements to copying files, and new explorer and new features.

All of these naysayers are technophile elitists who praise their own technical prowess over what is good for the masses.

The very thought of giving up their icons, or at the very least, having a novice computer user navigate with the simplicity they find in todays systems scares the bejeesus out of them.

Oh no, I can't feel superior to the next guy because we can both operate the device with the same proficiency.

What features am I looking forward to in Win8?

Storage Spaces!!!!!

This seems like the successor to the ill-fated Drive Extender technology that was dropped from Windows Home Server, resurfaced as a Desktop feature!

Now I won't have to span my 12TB of videos over 8 drive letters and have to rely on the weak 'library' implementation of Windows 7.

I can have 1 drive for video, and it can have all my disks.

The Metro Apps. Metro apps are not large flat icons, they are alive with information. It is because of this I envison momentary glances to the start screen to get updated on all the things I care about.

I also imagine writing Metro wrappers to my favorite line of business softwares and utilize the charm infrastructure to share data between apps.

I can take inventory from my ERP system to my CRM system with ease in Metro.

I don't need to wait on my Information Systems department to put a multi-year multi-million dollar project together which fulfills the goal of a few less clicks, or less copy paste.

Right now the heavey PC users in my business do not even know how to copy/paste between multiple systems.

This is primarily due to the heterogeneous nature of our business. We have terminal emulators, Unix based systems, Java systems, and Windows.

If I can eliminate all of that with a few metro apps that allow my business users to interact with concepts THEY care about, customers, inventory, booking calendars in a meaningful way, then it's a huge win for the business.

I'm sick and tired of all of you asshats out there who just don't get it.

I hope for the love of all that is human, that YOUR IT departments do not VALUE your INPUT.

Windows 8 is the first major step toward realizing that MOST individuals do not 'get computers'.

And why should they?

I have very little knowledge of an internal combustion engine, yet I have a car and drivers licence. They suit me fine.

Taking this analogy back to technology, NO ONE in the USER space should ever NEED to care about the why, and just focus on the what.

You elitist douchebags have your time limited. Microsoft will win and make Operating Systems for the masses.

Windows has always tried to be, for the masses, and failed over the years in various aspects. This is the correction point.

The majority of businesses in the United States still running XP. I don't think Windows 8 will catch on in everyday households. By time people move to Windows 7, Windows 8 will be a an add on feature for Windows 7 because MS will be stuck with several millions in a warehouse trying to sell them. More likely an OS toy for tablet owners and geeky desktop owners like the majority of us around here.

Vista only bombed because almost noone wrote drivers for it, so lots of devices didnt work. Also people tried installing it on Museum pieces that could barely run XP. The Driver situation with Windows 7 has been resolved now, Microsoft made a big decision to bring drivers out of kernel level, (minimising the chances of bad drivers bringing the whole system down with it). And Windows 8 will largely be Windows 7 underneath.

Even if I don't get on with Metro (I'm going to try and deal with it in a normal environment, not just the DP before I judge it) I will love using the Aero desktop, with all the improvements to copying files, and new explorer and new features.

Storage Spaces!!!!!

This seems like the successor to the ill-fated Drive Extender technology that was dropped from Windows Home Server, resurfaced as a Desktop feature!

Now I won't have to span my 12TB of videos over 8 drive letters and have to rely on the weak 'library' implementation of Windows 7.

d-d-d-d-d-id someone say DRIVE EXTENDER??!!!!!

whoo hooo!!

All of these naysayers are technophile elitists who praise their own technical prowess over what is good for the masses.

The very thought of giving up their icons, or at the very least, having a novice computer user navigate with the simplicity they find in todays systems scares the bejeesus out of them.

Oh no, I can't feel superior to the next guy because we can both operate the device with the same proficiency.

Storage Spaces!!!!!

The Metro Apps. Metro apps are not large flat icons, they are alive with information. It is because of this I envison momentary glances to the start screen to get updated on all the things I care about.

I also imagine writing Metro wrappers to my favorite line of business softwares and utilize the charm infrastructure to share data between apps.

I can take inventory from my ERP system to my CRM system with ease in Metro.

I don't need to wait on my Information Systems department to put a multi-year multi-million dollar project together which fulfills the goal of a few less clicks, or less copy paste.

Right now the heavey PC users in my business do not even know how to copy/paste between multiple systems.

This is primarily due to the heterogeneous nature of our business. We have terminal emulators, Unix based systems, Java systems, and Windows.

If I can eliminate all of that with a few metro apps that allow my business users to interact with concepts THEY care about, customers, inventory, booking calendars in a meaningful way, then it's a huge win for the business.

I'm sick and tired of all of you asshats out there who just don't get it.

I hope for the love of all that is human, that YOUR IT departments do not VALUE your INPUT.

Windows 8 is the first major step toward realizing that MOST individuals do not 'get computers'.

And why should they?

I have very little knowledge of an internal combustion engine, yet I have a car and drivers licence. They suit me fine.

Taking this analogy back to technology, NO ONE in the USER space should ever NEED to care about the why, and just focus on the what.

You elitist douchebags have your time limited. Microsoft will win and make Operating Systems for the masses.

Windows has always tried to be, for the masses, and failed over the years in various aspects. This is the correction point.

It's pretty childish to call people elitist douchebags and asshats over people not liking something new. Also lets not ignore that MS has had their share of failed OS's in the past and there is no reason to think they are immune from more, including this one. We get it, you like Win8 but stop thinking that you are some how better for liking an operating system that others dont like.

And so what if icons are live. If you are really that hard up to know exactly when someone liked your facebook page, then clearly you need to unplug for a bit.

For reference, here's an article by the same author detailing the "Seven reasons to skip Windows 7."

He's a notorious troll.

I first clicked this article and was 'huh?!', since the very first post didn't seem to match the article of the title. It took a moment to realize this OP was on my ignore list already. Gotta love em eh?

Where were you when I was going through my computer classes? My professors scoffed at the idea of using anything else than XP. They kept saying Microsoft would be supporting XP forever, and that the changes in Windows Vista and Windows 7 were only temporary.

Lol. I'd like to think I was a progressive instructor. I just knew from years of working help desk that our up and coming techs needed exposure to everything we could cram in. I'd like to think that I prepared my students for the careers they wanted to go into and a lot of them did and thanked me years after.

We shall see won?t we? I believe with the pathetic sales of Windows Phone and when Windows 8 will not sell to expectation, we shall see another shift in Microsoft's strategy.

The good news is if you are a fanboy, any shift Microsoft does, you will not be disappointed so cheers.

However if you indeed like Metro, you might be in for a disappointment. I can?t wait for Windows 8 OS to be released and the lack luster tablets to be released. We already know that Windows Phone is not selling what further proof do you need that Metro is just ugly and unusable? I guess the trifecta of disappointing sales might just have to serve as your wake up call.