Capello quits as England manager

Capello quits as England manager

Fabio Capello has resigned as England manager, the Football Association has confirmed.

Capello resigned following a meeting with FA chairman David Bernstein and general secretary Alex Horne at Wembley Stadium.

An FA statement read: "The Football Association can confirm that Fabio Capello has today resigned as England manager."

More to follow.

Source: BBC Sport

Excellent, he was a tw@.

I'm still a firm beliver in the manager should be the same nation as the team, the players have to be.

Imo, it'll either be Stuart Pearce (well he's next in command anyway?) if not Harry I bet.

Alex won't go there, no benefit for him to.

England job is a cursed challace where a lot of the players don't perform as they have little care for the world cup. It's all about the money these days, and so clubs come before country. They need to offer far better rewards to encourage players to try it seems. National pride doesn't mean much.

It's been a long time since I've seen some passion. The last spark of it died when Beckham left the squad.

• Like 1

Well The special one(jose mourinho) wants to leave Real Madrid, so if Alex takes change of England this would leave the spot at Man Utd open. Alex will retire soon, so he's in the best spot to retire at Utd, manage England then fully retire.

Stuart Pearce is clearly the first person to fit the role at least on a temporary basis, possible even taking them to the Euros

However, with Harry, would Spurs let him go? Would they keep him and let him do England with the risks of hurting their own prospects?

If Harry did do England and leave Spurs, If he did well in the Euros then he could do the 2014 world cup. Where as Alex would be very old.

I can't see many other managers who could handle the technical side and get the media on side while managing a bunch of arsewipes.

Problem with Harry, I wouldn't be see great amount of faith put in the younger players. Hes a good man manager, providing you are of use to him, he can easily give players the cold shoulder and say you're not needed now quite quickly. With England I'd fear he'd be far to pally with the bad boys and will stick by them, again further annoying fans and his own players. I know this as a pompey fan!

Alex Ferguson will never manage England. I wish people would stop mentioning him with the job. He doesn't want it. Just because he is the best manager in the English league does not mean he wants/should manage England.

You'll have to ask yourself would Harry be happy with the FA stripping Terry of the captaincy? I don't think so.

I think the FA and Fabio were wrong, should have stripped him a long time ago, he undermines the morale and faith in the team because of his stupid troubles all the time.