Tera Online

So if anyone wants to test the game out again over the head start this weekend I've got 3 keys.

the game looks good. I will wait for a trial before i make any final decisions. I have been burned by a lot of New "better" MMOs

It is, but if you are going to play it you really need to wait till level 20 before passing any judgement. Getting to 20 shouldn't take but 10-15 hours, and this is when the combat (the key point of the game) kicks in. It's the first you can start fighting Bam's which are absolutely amazing. I enjoyed the game in all the CBT's, but i never leveled past 12 in any of them. And when OBT started I felt like, combat is good but I don't think it was as great as everyone claimed it to be. Then I hit level 20 and started with the Basilisks, and damn! That's when the combat of the game truly shines and you get a good feel for it.

I started playing the game this morning (thanks for the super long, extended maintenance during the last day of the early-start en masse. great planning) and it's a lot of fun.

The biggest thing I was worried about with this game was how lag would affect the combat. Seeing as the combat is the biggest feature for the game and how it relies heavily on timing, lag was going to be the deciding factor. And I'm happy to say that lag hasn't been an issue so far. With dozens and dozens of players in the starting area (after the prologue), I didn't notice any problems with the combat.

And it's quite fun for the moment. The quests themselves are ho-hum, run of the mill quests so far. But then again, most MMOs have these quests. At the very least, I'll play it to death for this first month and get my initial purchase worth out of it. It all depends on how the middle and end games are, and whether is going to take the usual Korean-MMO amount of grinding to get there.

It is, but if you are going to play it you really need to wait till level 20 before passing any judgement. Getting to 20 shouldn't take but 10-15 hours, and this is when the combat (the key point of the game) kicks in. It's the first you can start fighting Bam's which are absolutely amazing. I enjoyed the game in all the CBT's, but i never leveled past 12 in any of them. And when OBT started I felt like, combat is good but I don't think it was as great as everyone claimed it to be. Then I hit level 20 and started with the Basilisks, and damn! That's when the combat of the game truly shines and you get a good feel for it.

Sorry, but a game betterbe good LONG before I hit 10, much less 15 hours of gameplay. That's the same excuse they did with me of the latest FF games "the fist 25-30 hours is just a tutorial and you shouldn't judge the game it" seriously, 10-20 hours is a LNG time to invest in a game, and I'm not willing to be bored or annoyed for that long for the possibility of something bett at the end. Especially when it never is. It's still just more of the same,just different environment and new armors.

I started playing the game this morning (thanks for the super long, extended maintenance during the last day of the early-start en masse. great planning) and it's a lot of fun.

The biggest thing I was worried about with this game was how lag would affect the combat. Seeing as the combat is the biggest feature for the game and how it relies heavily on timing, lag was going to be the deciding factor. And I'm happy to say that lag hasn't been an issue so far. With dozens and dozens of players in the starting area (after the prologue), I didn't notice any problems with the combat.

And it's quite fun for the moment. The quests themselves are ho-hum, run of the mill quests so far. But then again, most MMOs have these quests. At the very least, I'll play it to death for this first month and get my initial purchase worth out of it. It all depends on how the middle and end games are, and whether is going to take the usual Korean-MMO amount of grinding to get there.

The thing is, the game REALLY opens up around level 20 (which doesn't take long to achieve). The monsters just become more fun and engaging. Before I could tackle enemies 3-4 levels above me. Now, at 32 I can barely take on enemies one level my superior (unless I'm extremely careful). But that's the fun of it! Not to mention the political system that opens up at level 50 which allows you to govern towns and such.

Sorry, but a game betterbe good LONG before I hit 10, much less 15 hours of gameplay. That's the same excuse they did with me of the latest FF games "the fist 25-30 hours is just a tutorial and you shouldn't judge the game it" seriously, 10-20 hours is a LNG time to invest in a game, and I'm not willing to be bored or annoyed for that long for the possibility of something bett at the end. Especially when it never is. It's still just more of the same,just different environment and new armors.

The thing is, by definition this will be the case in a game like Tera. But that being said the initial 20 levels are not tedium. The quests are generic, yes but the combat is not and in those 20 levels you'll be fighting challenging creatures and learning the bread and butter of your class. Just because the game "opens up" at 20 doesn't mean the that 1-19 are not worth mentioning. Heck, I really enjoyed 2 of the missions on just the starter island (which is 1-11) and 9-20 can sometimes take less time than the previous eleven depending on how you quest and your class.

Heck, some of the creatures you start to fight at level 20 are very intelligent. They will blind side you, pincer you and evade your abilities. At level 32 I can barely deal with how quickly they get around my shield as a Lancer and it takes some real finesse to come out on top. But that's what makes Tera so much more fun than any other MMO, that combined with the real time execution of everything is just gold.

Other MMOs have managed to make the leveling and quests interesting from the start, EQ2 for example with its special class quests, tort age story start area in AoC, and most recently SWTOR which is one long good storytelling from you start til you hit 50.

There's no reason the first 20 or the first any, levels of a MMO should be tedious.

Game looks okay, but i am going to wait a few months before i even consider buying it. Too many MMOs come out and die after the free month. If it shows that it can survive for the long run, i may consider buying it.

Other MMOs have managed to make the leveling and quests interesting from the start, EQ2 for example with its special class quests, tort age story start area in AoC, and most recently SWTOR which is one long good storytelling from you start til you hit 50.

There's no reason the first 20 or the first any, levels of a MMO should be tedious.

To each his own I guess. My opinion is that MMO's shouldn't need a story and shouldn't push "your" story. You are only one person in a pool of tens of thousands, perhaps even millions. The insane concept that these events have repeated hundreds of thousands of times is only more apparent when everyone is "the hero" for everything, yet there are 15 other "heroes" visible in the area. Games that downplay that IMO keep me more immersed. This is another reason why my most played MMO was Phantasy Star Universe on the 360. Nobody was anybody special, we were all just Guardians completing missions. Another reason why EVE is a game I occasionally return to as well.

Guild Wars has a bit of that, but SWTOR doesn't have that in the slightest. From the get-go you are a prodigy in some form or another. This is detrimental to immersion. Give me a world and let me explore it and create my own story. I've already bought GW2 for this reason, and the only reason I wasn't super impressed with GW2 was because the difference between real time combat and just standard skill firing is surprisingly apparent. I love almost everything about GW2 more than Tera, save for the combat. And combat in an MMO is your medium for interacting with the game. And at the moment its far more engaging to play Tera than GW2. SWTOR? Generic, just like STO (although STO's spaceship combat is what motivated me to hit max level at the time I played).

They killed the grind out of it, compared to KTera. Should be a breeze. Just unlike other MMO's I've played keeping your gear (especially) weapons up-to-date is more important.

Nothing wrong with first 20 levels. They are as good as all the others MMO's you have played. I was just pointing at at 20 is when Bam's become a fixture in the leveling scene and they really make the combat shine. I had no issues with the first 20 levels, it's just I didn't find the combat super engaging until I started fighting Bams. That's when I was blown away by it.

I have to agree, as soon as you hit your 20s, BAMs come into play and the fighting becomes really fun :D. I also like how unlike most MMOs, you don't fight 1-3 monsters at a time, you can often end up mobbing 10-20+, and 100s if you include the tiny minions haha. The game is a little grindy, but because of the fun combat system, you really don't notice because you're having too much fun killing stuff.

I have to agree, as soon as you hit your 20s, BAMs come into play and the fighting becomes really fun :D. I also like how unlike most MMOs, you don't fight 1-3 monsters at a time, you can often end up mobbing 10-20+, and 100s if you include the tiny minions haha. The game is a little grindy, but because of the fun combat system, you really don't notice because you're having too much fun killing stuff.

There is an aggro limit unfortunately (I think its around 5-6 monsters). I know this because in quest parties I attempt to aggro entire rooms and usually only succeed at getting 5 "groups" of enemies. Of course those groups can be anything from 1 monster to 10.

How the end game of Tera? Are they going to do the gear treadmill we've come to know, or do they have other plans? I know the politics system, but what about the PvE side?

How the end game of Tera? Are they going to do the gear treadmill we've come to know, or do they have other plans? I know the politics system, but what about the PvE side?

Nothing really atm. We have Nexus's and there was world of 10 man content, but at the moment just hard dungeons (4 or 5 at 60) and Nexus's.

Nothing really atm. We have Nexus's and there was world of 10 man content, but at the moment just hard dungeons (4 or 5 at 60) and Nexus's.

That's what I was expecting and hopefully the release of new content will give us more places to go and monsters to challenge ourselves with. Still, I'm really looking forward to the political side of the game and how it effects the world.

Politics in an MMO, yeah both Vangurd and SWG tried that, and I can tell you what difference it makes, absolutely none.

Politics in an MMO, yeah both Vangurd and SWG tried that, and I can tell you what difference it makes, absolutely none.

Neither of those are similar to the Vanarch/Exarch system in Tera.

The system in Tera is still in development (for the NA version at least), but you have two types. Vanarces are like Governors of a region, while the Exarch is charge of all regions related to his capital city. This allows him to control taxes and open vendors up. Not much is known about it, as it doesnt' start until you are 50, but I didn't play either of the games you mentioned, but what I found on Google doesn't sound anything like it. I guess Vanguard might be close with Regional Trade + in diplomacy, but again I didn't play either so I can't comment on the likeness nor the success/failures.

I would like to try this.

Sad there is no trial or anything. Wonder how long it will be before there is, and if there is one before GW2, otherwise I will end up forgetting about it.

I would like to try this.

Sad there is no trial or anything. Wonder how long it will be before there is, and if there is one before GW2, otherwise I will end up forgetting about it.

The last few weekends they had open betas. You missed your chance then.

The last few weekends they had open betas. You missed your chance then.

I don't like to participate in betas :p. I prefer to play a game finished, just personal preference though. I'm wasted space in betas, as I don't report anything, and just want to play, so it is a good thing. :p

I don't like to participate in betas :p. I prefer to play a game finished, just personal preference though. I'm wasted space in betas, as I don't report anything, and just want to play, so it is a good thing. :p

That's what everyone else was doing. Open betas for mmos are pretty much just demos to generate hype for the games anyways. When a beta is just 2 or 3 weeks before the game is released not much is going to change between then and release.

They sent out buddy codes for the headstart this past weekend. I'm sure they will send out more codes for weekends or something in the next month or so.

They sent out buddy codes for the headstart this past weekend. I'm sure they will send out more codes for weekends or something in the next month or so.

Cool. Hopefully it will be posted here, so I remember. ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

This game is going on sale for 50% off on Amazon tomorrow. I'm likely going to give it a buy, will give me something to play for a month.