Disappointed with Windows Phone 7

123456789A

As someone who really liked Windows Phone initially, but just didn't see it develop over a year and eventually switched to the iPhone I get what you're saying. There is so much potential, and it's really pretty, but it just can't do everything yet. The thing that drove me over the edge was the lack of notification center. If I miss something, how do I know?! Small things like that drove me over the edge. Microsoft reps are always saying "it'll come in future" or "soon" but their release cycle is abysmal.

I'm glad I switched away, for now. The iPhone 4S is brilliant. I'd like to switch back, but the OS needs to mature a bit to be honest.

The iPhone was absolutely awful in its first year (didn't even have an app store), but it was new and had a lot of excitement surrounding it. iOS has had a longer time to mature and of course the bar is now much higher than it was when the first iPhones came out. For its age as an OS, Windows Phone isn't bad, but it still has a while to go to reach maturity. Some would argue Android didn't really mature until ICS.

It sounds like Apollo will be the time Windows Phone has a complete feature set, which is impressive for two years time. I agree about the notification screen or lack of it. I think Microsoft can come up with a way it can be done better than the way Android and iOS's copy of Android does it.

I use Windows Phone for the Metro UI and integration mainly. An improved calendar system, full ActiveSync policy support, notifications, some more user options, and an evolved TellMe would be great things to look forward to. At least they're addressing a lot of the hardware limitation concerns with WP8.

xTdub

I can not change the default search engine (Android/iOS allows this) if I am not happy with Bing

Bottom of the browser settings, "Default search provider". Mine is currently set to Google. As for your other points, I agree with most of them, though I am overall happy with my HD7.

Vice

"If I miss something, how do I know"... Live Tiles?

As for the release cycle, do you get more than one iOS major version per year? And the Microsoft interim releases like Nodo are to me more significant that the iOS minor patches.

Apple releases one major iOS update a year. And that is enough. Windows Phone needs more frequent updates because it is playing catch up. When it reaches feature maturity like iOS and Android the updates will slow down and probably be once a year too.

• Like 1
Raa

It's true. I liked the principle, but it just didn't come together. And I was a WM65 advocate too... Still have that phone

I'm more than happy with Android, it's 'got the lot' :)

~Johnny

Bottom of the browser settings, "Default search provider". Mine is currently set to Google. As for your other points, I agree with most of them, though I am overall happy with my HD7.

That option is only available on very few phones - a rare carrier customisation.

Shadrack

Because those aren't really problem as said on the previous comments and WP users aren't like iPhone users who feel that they HAVE TO show their iPhone as an advertiser would do.

This contradicts this:

I disagree. Completely.

You do raise some points, but I think this one ^^ here is plain stupid and wrong.

I have shown Windows Phone to a lot of my firends. Android users, iOS users, Symbian users, low-end phone owners, BlackBerry users, and with the exception of one Android user, all of them liked it instantly.

Some of them are power users. They require much more features than just basic ones. Two of them asked me to buy them a Windows Phone instantly. While others took their time, but eventually bought it.

That is all.

+Fahim S.

One of the issues raised is the inability to copy calendar entries. How do you do this in iOS - just asking because I really need this functionality but I can't find a way to do it...

Simon-

Email isn't automatically saved to draft when phone does a "graceful" shutdown to save power

Word Suggestions are in US English even though I have set the language to UK English and region settings to Australia. I do have Keyboard set to US keyboard (as is the standard practice in Australia) so that it (correctly) gives a "$" symbol on the second page of keys rather than a "pound" symbol. Incorrectly changing it to a UK keyboard (incorrectly) makes the "pound" symbol more prominent but fixes the spelling.

No way to hide certain calendars (eg: Informational calendars) from the Live tile while still having it available in the Calendar app as a whole.

Lack of customisability. Android and iOS can be rooted/jailbroken for free while WP7 it is not free and is only a developer token (Meaning you can only make your own apps and a limited number of extra customisations, not customise the entire system). See this as a positive that users can't break their phone, but I prefer to have the ability if I were to chose to because in WP7's infantile stage it is necessary to bring functionality before Microsoft's promises mature.

I'll still continue to go on testing the WP7 (With my trusty Android alongside to take over when it can't get the job done) to sure that I give this a real chance here.

Simon-

No native/official Windows Live Messenger client. More long made promises. This is a Microsoft/Windows Live based platform right?

articuno1au

The Windows Live Messenger client is built into the operating system under the messaging tile.

You can talk to contacts this way if you link a live ID to your phone.

The lack of WLM client was a problem pre-mango. Not because there wasn't an officially supported one, but because it was CRAP.

articuno1au

You will be amazed!!! Lot my friends do!!! check out the first reply in this topic.

You're screamingly anti-Microsoft, so your opinion isn't exactly surprising.

• Like 2
Simon-

The Windows Live Messenger client is built into the operating system under the messaging tile.

You can talk to contacts this way if you link a live ID to your phone.

The lack of WLM client was a problem pre-mango. Not because there wasn't an officially supported one, but because it was CRAP.

Thanks for that. I couldn't find it and when I Bing searched for "Windows live messenger wp7" I could not find this, only outdated information from 2010 that it was supposedly 'coming'.

Also I can't work out the multitasking. I hold down the back button and it shows some recent screens but other disappear.

articuno1au

You're most welcome. The multi-tasking thing is due to progression trees in the interface.

Also, applications that aren't updated for Mango won't appear in this list either.

It's a little bit hit or miss, but it works for the most part :)

~Johnny

Also I can't work out the multitasking. I hold down the back button and it shows some recent screens but other disappear.

It shows the 5-6 most recently used applications for third party applications that you've left open, i.e., you've not gone back out of them using the back button. Though for first party apps it can also show multiple instances of the same application in different areas.

still1

You're screamingly anti-Microsoft, so your opinion isn't exactly surprising.

Truth hurt isnt??? and btw, i am not anti Microsoft... I am just not impressed with WP7..

every time i go to bestbuy i have tried WP7 but it never caught my attention!!

tsupersonic

I've used all 3 major mobile OS's - iOS, Android, and WP7. I can say out of all of them WP7 was a blast to use, then followed by Android, and then in a far last place iOS. WP7 excels in many areas, but it also lacks some functionality provided by Android and WP7.

First, the quality of apps on WP7 = amazing. The games that are on WP7 and the integration with Xbox Live should be the golden standard for mobile OS's. iOS and Android have NOTHING on this (possibly due to the fact that neither platform's manufacturer is in the gaming business).

Second, the interface on WP7 = excellent. Sure, Android is tweakable, but for out of the box, WP7 has the most intuitive and most useful interface. iOS is pretty lame, and doesn't put much information on the home screen. You have to delve into applications to get any sort of information.

There are many other Pro's, I just can't list. The major issue that completely stops me from using WP7 is the lack of repeating notifications. For example, when you get a text, it only tells you once, and doesn't repeat until you acknowledge this. iOS and Android have ways around this...The other thing is lack of hardware in WP7. It's good to restrict hardware in one sense, but looking at all these Android superphones, there are certain hardware features I want to see in WP7 (full LTE support, HD resolution displays, more CPU/GPU support, NFC, etc.).

I still have a WP7 lying around, that I just use to play with here and there.

• Like 1
neoxphuse

Also, to clarify, the Calendar is extremely important to me. I run a business as an IT consultant and I have other people add appointments into my Calendar directly, including the address so that I can find where to go just by clicking on it in the appointment. The phone numbers in the appointment automatically link up to the phone dialer in WP7 as it does in Android.

I also need to be able to copy an appointment from one Calendar to another Calendar, which I use when I need to put a copy of the appointment (with a few minor changes) directly into somebody else's Calendar. Using free/busy and Invitees doesn't provide the exact functionality I need on this one.

Simon,

I would recommend you try using AppoinTile. It displays the next 4 appointments, from Google/Windows Live/ and Exchange. It's a relatively new app, and the developer makes updates pretty quick.

His other app, MoBudget, provides recurring expenses, etc. So I'm sure he can put this in, the only issue is that he's still working on trying to add appointments into the app itself; which I'm sure he could. Check out the website.

http://reach.jdbpocketware.com/

neoxphuse

I've used all 3 major mobile OS's - iOS, Android, and WP7. I can say out of all of them WP7 was a blast to use, then followed by Android, and then in a far last place iOS. WP7 excels in many areas, but it also lacks some functionality provided by Android and WP7.

First, the quality of apps on WP7 = amazing. The games that are on WP7 and the integration with Xbox Live should be the golden standard for mobile OS's. iOS and Android have NOTHING on this (possibly due to the fact that neither platform's manufacturer is in the gaming business).

Second, the interface on WP7 = excellent. Sure, Android is tweakable, but for out of the box, WP7 has the most intuitive and most useful interface. iOS is pretty lame, and doesn't put much information on the home screen. You have to delve into applications to get any sort of information.

There are many other Pro's, I just can't list. The major issue that completely stops me from using WP7 is the lack of repeating notifications. For example, when you get a text, it only tells you once, and doesn't repeat until you acknowledge this. iOS and Android have ways around this...The other thing is lack of hardware in WP7. It's good to restrict hardware in one sense, but looking at all these Android superphones, there are certain hardware features I want to see in WP7 (full LTE support, HD resolution displays, more CPU/GPU support, NFC, etc.).

I still have a WP7 lying around, that I just use to play with here and there.

I think we all want this. But I think the goal for Microsoft right now is to run as many low devices possible with the lowest spec, and have them be able to run smoothly. Similar to what they did with Windows 7, being able to run on lower end devices, and in some instances more smoothly than XP.

Once Apollo hits, we'll see multi-core, LTE, etc. I can't wait for this. But I agree with the notifications. They need a notification centre; similar to what Android has. I'm sure they'll put this in Android. Because swiping left currently at the start screen does nothing. And I'm pretty sure that's what will end up happening.

A few things about Windows Phone that I find very irritating:

I wish it had better support for Google Contacts (or at least contacts with custom fields). Being an Android user, all my contacts are backed up there and most are customized. WP7 couldn't sync the majority of them. Mobile 1, mobile 2, Work 1 etc really doesn't cut it these days.

As the poster above states, the lack of a notifications menu.

WiFi goes to sleep when the phone is locked; no syncing occurs. This is a baffling inclusion. Have a bunch of apps to update? Make sure your phone isn't locked, or the updates will just stall.

Unreliable multitasking. Sometimes just checking a mail will kill an app.

No independent volume controls.

I don't see how WiFi goes to sleep. If you're locked into Wifi and goto update, and then turn the power off to shut the screen, it'll still update in wifi.

neoxphuse

No native/official Windows Live Messenger client. More long made promises. This is a Microsoft/Windows Live based platform right?

It's in the messaging hub; go figure.

Rudy

Given the choice between Android and WP7 I would pick Android in a heart beat

fix-this!

if your coming from android of course wp7 is a disappointment. wp7 is designed for people who are NOT power users and just want a phone that works.

BigGiantHead

If you're locked into Wifi and goto update, and then turn the power off to shut the screen, it'll still update in wifi.

No, it doesn't. That's the problem.

Also, if anyone has found a workaround for syncing customized contacts from Google contacts, I would love to know how.

~Johnny

if your coming from android of course wp7 is a disappointment. wp7 is designed for people who are NOT power users and just want a phone that works.

I'm a power user, and I still use my WP7 device over my Android device. A lot of people want phones that work :p Power user != tweaker.

• Like 1
neoxphuse

No, it doesn't. That's the problem.

Also, if anyone has found a workaround for syncing customized contacts from Google contacts, I would love to know how.

Maybe I'm not paying attention. Or it's not that a big deal for me. But I haven't had a real issue. I've done this at home, where I just let it update and turn off the screen. Turn it on later and it's all updated.

jakem1

If the various Windows 8 threads in these forums are anything to go by the term poweruser refers to someone who only ever performs a few very basic tasks on a regular basis and is totally averse to change ;)

I'd say WP7 is for people who want a flawless experience without having to tinker to get their phone working the way it should :p