Disappointed with Windows Phone 7

neoxphuse

It could be because I've become accustomed to Android/iOS, and so I expect the same level of functionality and polish. Maybe it's different for someone coming from a blackberry or a feature phone. I have nothing against Windows Phone, in fact, I like the smoothness of the interface, It's just not quite there yet for me compared with iOS/Android.

Came from an Iphone, my gf has an Android. Nothing to those, but man, those are hard to use now. I seriously can't stand the no camera button on the iPhone. Android is just a pain to use to make a phone call. But I guess that depends on how the OEMS deal with that.

jakem1

Your avatar SUCKS! ;)

I'm getting confused by you guys. At least one of you needs to pick a different avatar because you post in the same forums and seem to post the same things so you seem like the same person :laugh:

psreloaded

To think that power users don't use or like windows phone is naive. I am a developer and I have used all the OSes. I am a bit new to Windows Phone but I am loving it till now. Leaving aside the design, it takes time to create an app ecosystem it takes time and its slowly reaching there.

Other than that, most of you have forgotten that it is only in its second major iteration whereas Android and iOS are very old in comparison.

And some of you should do some research before commenting on certain aspects. WP has chatting capability built in and so does not require an app for facebook or live chat to start off with one of the misconceptions.

• Like 1
tsupersonic

You're wrong. Many of us power users use and love Windows Phone. Many of us despise Android for more than a few reasons.

This, I hate when people say this without trying the other mobile OS's. Having a hatred for another company is just flat out trolling. I've used 3 major mobile OS's (Android, WP7, and iOS). Believe me, as a power user, WP7 is missing a lot of functionality that Android or iOS are capable of. For example, as a power user, can you use your WP7 device to VPN into your work network, and run an SSH (or telnet) client? I know I can on my Android phone, and it's possible on iOS. As much as I want to love WP7, it is by no means even close to Android as a power user device. For simple out of the box smartphone, it's a good platform.

You're wrong. Many of us power users use and love Windows Phone. Many of us despise Android for more than a few reasons.

This, I hate when people say this without trying the other mobile OS's. Having a hatred for another company is just flat out trolling. I've used 3 major mobile OS's (Android, WP7, and iOS). Believe me, as a power user, WP7 is missing a lot of functionality that Android or iOS are capable of. For example, as a power user, can you use your WP7 device to VPN into your work network, and run an SSH (or telnet) client? I know I can on my Android phone, and it's possible on iOS. As much as I want to love WP7, it is by no means even close to Android as a power user device. For simple out of the box smartphone, it's a good platform.
articuno1au

I'm pretty XDA figured a hack regarding bluetooth audio in video. It's just a registry edit. Look for it.

Ooh, thanks for the heads up, I'll take a look :)

I'm getting confused by you guys. At least one of you needs to pick a different avatar because you post in the same forums and seem to post the same things so you seem like the same person :laugh:

Glad you approve ;)

You cannot due to a lack of websocket support in WP7. That does not make it not a power user phone though. It shows for your use case Android is a better choice.

I can live with that as you have a reason and a rhyme to your choice. Just asserting that it's not a power users phone is stupid.

Calum

You may be forgetting that different users use operating systems in different ways, including so-called "power users."

For your information, I've used iOS and Android many times. I quite like iOS, but I despise Android due to the horrible design, the design inconsistencies, and the fragmentation, among other reasons. You implied differently, and I resent that; you shouldn't ever assume such things.

Simon-

Today tried Bing Maps again. Needless to say that it got me lost.

after searching for directions, you can't move your finger along the map area to fly around the map to get more familiar with the route.

The map also went upside down a few times (including text) making it impossible to read, it must have been trying to align with the direction of travel but I am not good at reading on obsure angles of text (I am usually good if it is 180 degrees upside down text)

Not having turn by turn direction also makes things difficult.

Bad multitasking strikes again. Search the map, screen turns off after inactivity, turn screen back on, Bing maps as closed and is not in task switcher. Have to start again and enter the address again from scratch. Useless if you need to keep referring to the map.

Again it was trying to route me onto a stupid route in order to accrue as many needless tolls as possible, even if it is completely out of the way (must be sponsored by the tollway company).

It also did something random where the map flew across to somewhere in Africa, then flew right back across again (this happened last week too but I thought it was just a once off glitch)

The screen also turned off while I was on a call and could not reactivate screen to enter into speaker mode without waiting for the call to terminate.

I did have a success story where I searched for "Fuel" and it did find some petrol stations when I was running ultra low on petrol (was probably about to run out) and I was lost so I didn't know where any petrol stations were (see points above about being lost). Would be good if they had Fuel pumps as button (like Android and similar to the Places it already has) without having to type it in, but it wasn't too hard to type it in either.

My Calendar reminders did not alert me this morning, I am not sure what's going on there and have to look into it, basically I have to keep checking it to see if anything has come through.

articuno1au

I've only had one case of this.

You can move the map around. Not sure what happened with the map flipping. Perhaps you managed to trigger the Gyro on your phone?

The turn by turn this is complete crap. Microsoft failed us completely on this one, but it was for legal reasons.. Their map provider doesn't allow them to use turn by turn voice guidance with their maps.

I've never had this happen :\

There is something odd with your phone D:

This one I can answer I suspect. If you were sweating/rubbed some dirt onto the wrong part of the screen, the sensor that detects it's up to your face thinks it still is. This happens to me from time to time. I suggest wiping the phone against your shirt just to check if it's this.

Glad something worked for you :p

Calender reminders aren't like alarms really. They are generally much quieter and can be suppressed by silent mode. I've never had problems with this either D:

I think the answer here is not that WP7 sucks, it's that your phone is possessed..

Anthonyd

I see many complains about Bing maps, but did you guys missed the news saying that Bing map will soon use Nokia maps informations/database too?

neo158

Your avatar SUCKS! ;)

My avatar was here first!!! :rofl: :D

neoadorable

Agree with the comments on Bing Maps, not a patch on Google. Other than that I love WP, its beyond awesome, finally sold me on mobile form factors.

Also, how do you make Windows Phone better? You Titan it! Geddit, tighten it? Oh forget it!

articuno1au

Bing maps is useless. I use Nokia Drive.

Not helpful for those without Nokias..

Also, how do you make Windows Phone better? You Titan it! Geddit, tighten it? Oh forget it!

You're a terrible person..

neoadorable

Haha I'm trying!