OS X Mountain Lion Discussion

I doubt that will ever happen, but if it does, I am finished with OS X. Desktop computers are not portable devices and shouldn't be treated as such.

What apps are you using that would be refused by Apple on the App Store ? The main idea behind this is to increase security by refusing malicious apps and regroup all the apps in one place.

It probably wont change anything for me. We will see?

What apps are you using that would be refused by Apple on the App Store ? The main idea behind this is to increase security by refusing malicious apps and regroup all the apps in one place.

Security, huh? But that's the thing. You do realize that it to increase real security, we would be speaking about all executable code, not just so said "applications". All code would have to be signed, and the complete platform (OS X) would be locked. As only application packages can be added to App Store, this would change everything. No scripting languages, no shell, no nothing. Just those applications in App Store. WMs, servers, developers -- say bye.

Security, huh? But that's the thing. You do realize that it to increase real security, we would be speaking about all executable code, not just so said "applications". All code would have to be signed, and the complete platform (OS X) would be locked. As only application packages can be added to App Store, this would change everything. No scripting languages, no shell, no nothing. Just those applications in App Store. WMs, servers, developers -- say bye.

How many malwares were released on the iOS platform as opposed to Android ? What you?re talking about is 100% security and cannot be accomplished unless Apple has a team of freaks analyzing the code of each application every time it?s released.

post-35465-0-54484000-1329659955.png

Just spotted this when visiting Gmail in Safari.. Seems Google have already coded Gmail to recognise and work with Mountain Lion notification centre...

Just spotted this when visiting Gmail in Safari.. Seems Google have already coded Gmail to recognise and work with Mountain Lion notification centre...

Actually, it's because Gmail supports the HTML5 desktop notifications API. Apple just added support for it in Safari.

That's nice, first feature in Mountain Lion that I would actually use :D

Edit.: just realized it's only notify when website is open... so...

Noticed one weird bug. In the opening screen on Launchpad the scroll wheel on my mouse won't cycle through the other screens. If I click the dot at the bottom to go to the second screen I can move back to the first one with the scroll wheel, but then I'm stuck again.

I've been playing for a few hours and so far there are a few bugs/issues that I can't stand or figure out how to fix.

1. Spotlight not working. I tried resetting the database using all methods available but I kept getting errors (Had to reinstall OS X).

2. Whenever I click on Go in the Finder menu bar I receive an "Internal Error" message.

3. Messages.app logs all conversations by default and there's no way to turn it off. There should be an option right? lol

4. I use Spotlight A LOT and having the Notification Center icon on the top right corner with no way to move it around is just annoying :(

Also, Airplay does not work on my MBP. (N)

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 256 MB

The "reopen windows when logging back in" box now stays unchecked. Hopefully they sort this out in Lion as well.

FINALLY! That ****es me off so much about OS X Lion...

Is there a way to take a window screenshot in OS X without the drop shadow?

defaults write com.apple.screencapture disable-shadow -bool true

followed by

killall SystemUIServer

Disables it permanently. Other methods are listed here.

I've been playing for a few hours and so far there are a few bugs/issues that I can't stand or figure out how to fix.

4. I use Spotlight A LOT and having the Notification Center icon on the top right corner with no way to move it around is just annoying :(

I use cmd+spacebar to open Spotlight. It's much quicker than going up to the top corner with a mouse.

The "reopen windows when logging back in" box now stays unchecked. Hopefully they sort this out in Lion as well.

screenshot20120219at153.png

If not then this is worth the upgrade price alone.

After trying it out for a little while, I definitely think Mountain Lion is a little Snappier?. Animations are smoother, things seem to open faster, Safari is rendering more quickly, etc.

Considering Apple's betas tend to be slower than GM, so I'm impressed. :p

Actually, it's because Gmail supports the HTML5 desktop notifications API. Apple just added support for it in Safari.

Do you know if Hotmail supports it? Because if it does I'm switching to Mountain Lion and Safari right now.... :D

Do you know if Hotmail supports it? Because if it does I'm switching to Mountain Lion and Safari right now.... :D

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. :/ Hotmail only supports those IE9 "pinned site" features. IE9 doesn't support actual HTML5 desktop notifications.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. :/ Hotmail only supports those IE9 "pinned site" features. IE9 doesn't support actual HTML5 desktop notifications.

Damn :/ I'm still waiting for a good way to get new email notifications for hotmail on OSX.... I'm currently using a trial of mBox for OSX but I find it doesn't always work good.

When I was using FF there was a good plugin but I'm trying to move away from FF to either Safari or Chrome (currently using Chrome.... but not sure still)

Damn :/ I'm still waiting for a good way to get new email notifications for hotmail on OSX.... I'm currently using a trial of mBox for OSX but I find it doesn't always work good.

When I was using FF there was a good plugin but I'm trying to move away from FF to either Safari or Chrome (currently using Chrome.... but not sure still)

Add your hotmail account to OSX mail, and then install Growl. You'll get a badge on mail and a pop up from Growl every time you get new mail.

I kind of wonder if Apple considers RSS a dead tech since they removed support from Safari.

I think they're pushing the Safari Reading List over RSS at this point, as it better integrates with Twitter. RSS is still useful, but there are better applications (mail, Reeder) for working with them.

Installed the dev preview on my late 2010 27" iMac, and noticed a couple things that were off right from the get-go. Firstly, the widgets on the dashboard wouldn't work at all. The placeholders for them would be there, but anything that would require the widget to become dynamic (animations/fetching content/etc) did not work at all. Secondly, I use an eyeTV to record TV shows that I miss due to classes, social events, etc...but none of the shows were recorded. On Lion, there was no problem at all. Last and not least, I did find that there were a couple moments that my iMac would not wake up from sleep. I also noticed my applications (among other folders that are in the dock), when displayed as a list...the items are displayed in reverse alphabetical order (Z to A from top to bottom)...couldn't figure out a way to change that.

I'm currently in the process of reinstalling Lion. Mountain Lion seems to have a problem with reinstalling from a Time Machine/Capsule backup. I tried reinstalling through the recovery partition, no-go...it wouldn't even connect to my time machine. Tried reinstalling the backup from my Snow Leopard disc, the computer restarted and just hung on the apple logo. Tried a Command+R to reinstall Lion from scratch...keeping my fingers crossed.

I finally managed to install OS X Mountain Lion in VMware Fusion using this tutorial. Worked like a charm! I had to convert the DMG to DVD/CD master first using Disk Utility though. It kept failing using the original DMG.

post-128385-0-25899100-1329757220_thumb.