OS X Mountain Lion Discussion

Notification Center is killer! I can't wait until third party apps adopt it.

Personally I've always disliked Growl :/ I love notifications but I never liked how Growl did it... I hope Apple can do it better

Hey guys, Loving OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion preview.. but there is a couple of things bugging me,

1. How can I mirror my iPhone to my macbook?

2. Does anyone know how to disable gestures in safari? seems like they went all out with the trackpad gestures this time.. and it's completely stopped my better touch tool tweaks.

3. Still no HDPI for higher resolutions?

Personally I've always disliked Growl :/ I love notifications but I never liked how Growl did it... I hope Apple can do it better

Well, the notifications are pretty much the same. The thing that makes Mountain Lion's notifications better, in my opinion, is the actual Notification Center. Way better than the "history" you get from Growl.

How so? Or did you not actually read what it is?

No, I'm just blindly talking out of my ass. Of course I did. :rolleyes: So basically, by default devs have to pay to be "apple certified" and play by Apple's rules or else they'll be yanked from the registered list, preventing their app from being ran. Granted most devs consider this pocket change, but people like me who have a handful of users are just getting a bigger hole in their pocket. Just more power and money grabs from Apple. If MS did this people would be screaming bloody murder.

No, I'm just blindly talking out of my ass. Of course I did. :rolleyes: So basically, by default devs have to pay to be "apple certified" and play by Apple's rules or else they'll be yanked from the registered list, preventing their app from being ran. Granted most devs consider this pocket change, but people like me who have a handful of users are just getting a bigger hole in their pocket. Just more power and money grabs from Apple. If MS did this people would be screaming bloody murder.

MS is doing that basically with Windows 8 (on ARM at least).

I really don't think it's about the money so much as it is the ability to revoke the certificate. As I understand their reasons for revoking a developer certificate aren't anything like the App Store rules you hear so much about. Basically unless you create malware you should be ok.

Users can still run unsigned apps manually by right clicking according to one article I read.

So basically it's like iOS except you don't have to abide by any of the restrictive App Store rules. And users can bypass it if they want on an app-by-app basis or by changing the setting for all apps.

The certification is free of charge, but nice try.

Beyond slapping on Metro, what makes Windows 8 so spectacular? So far there's is little there that's actually of interest to people who use a desktop or notebook PC without touch screen.

I agree though, at this point OS X Mountain Lion seems nothing more than an app expansion pack. :/ I'm guessing there will be more.

So has Windows NT. I'm guessing you want something redesigned for the sake of being redesigned?

Actually, I wouldn't use NT in that comparison since it is extremely out of support coverage and almost no one is using it. The better usage would be Vista since the engine that Vista/Server 2008 was built on is competely different than NT. It is the same as 8 in that it is just a different way of interacting with your data. I do not see a major difference between 7 and 8 except for the way you interact with it and 8 being made to run on a larger amount of devices without carrying over old issues.

I am actually looking forward to seeing something new and innovative from Apple with the next redesign. I really like the current OS but want them to surprise me and take what I use the OS for every day and turn it on its side.

Show me where, I heard it's $99.

My favorite Mountain Lion feature, though, is one that hardly even has a visible interface. Apple is calling it ?Gatekeeper?. It?s a system whereby developers can sign up for free-of-charge Apple developer IDs which they can then use to cryptographically sign their applications.

Source: Daring Fireball

Actually, I wouldn't use NT in that comparison since it is extremely out of support coverage and almost no one is using it. The better usage would be Vista since the engine that Vista/Server 2008 was built on is competely different than NT. It is the same as 8 in that it is just a different way of interacting with your data. I do not see a major difference between 7 and 8 except for the way you interact with it and 8 being made to run on a larger amount of devices without carrying over old issues.

I am actually looking forward to seeing something new and innovative from Apple with the next redesign. I really like the current OS but want them to surprise me and take what I use the OS for every day and turn it on its side.

WTF are you talking about? 2000-XP-Vista-7-8 are all NT. They just don't use it as a name anymore.

• Like 1

Source: Daring Fireball

The other controversial element will be the way you become an ?identified developer? ? you?ll have to sign up to be a Mac app developer (which is $99 a year). Again, this doesn?t mean you?ll have to sell your software through the Mac App Store ? nor will your apps be pre-screened by Apple ? but it will make it so Apple can know who you are as a developer. And if they find out one of your apps is bad, they?ll quickly pull your credentials.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/16/os-x-mountain-lion/

WTF are you talking about? 2000-XP-Vista-7-8 are all NT. They just don't use it as a name anymore.

Actually....no. When we made Vista we stripped out just about everything from NT and buit it back up from the ground. I am not saying that VISTA was awesome because it sucked. NT as a base code hasn't been used in years.

Well, the notifications are pretty much the same. The thing that makes Mountain Lion's notifications better, in my opinion, is the actual Notification Center. Way better than the "history" you get from Growl.

That's my main gripe with Growl, so this might be a better solution :D

Actually....no. When we made Vista we stripped out just about everything from NT and buit it back up from the ground. I am not saying that VISTA was awesome because it sucked. NT as a base code hasn't been used in years.

Sorry to disappoint but Vista and 7 are very much still based on NT lol

Ah, I see. Oh well.

Honestly though, I don't know a Mac developer that doesn't pay to be part of the Mac Developer Program anyway.

Yeah. I don't think the number of people who develop Mac apps and have a user base they need to support that aren't already paying memebers of the Developer Program is very big.

Ah, I see. Oh well.

Honestly though, I don't know a Mac developer that doesn't pay to be part of the Mac Developer Program anyway.

Agreed. Cant see why any dev wouldnt be part of the Mac Dev Program as it stands.

Agreed. Cant see why any dev wouldnt be part of the Mac Dev Program as it stands.

I guess some people might not want to pay 30% to Apple (for whatever reason). They still have an option though unlike Windows 8. :p

I guess some people might not want to pay 30% to Apple (for whatever reason). They still have an option though unlike Windows 8. :p

Being a part of the Developer Program and being able to digitally sign apps does not mean giving 30% to Apple. It just means paying $99/year to be a registered Developer.

Only if you sell your app through the App Store do you have to give Apple 30% (of what you make in the App Store).

If you are a registered Developer you can still sell your app outside the App Store, and then you do not owe Apple 30%. Nor do you have to follow any of the App Store restrictions or guidelines. You just can't make malware or your certificate will be pulled.

Well, that's the nice thing about this Developer Certificate thing. You get Apple's blessing (and the security and user peace-of-mind that comes with that), but you don't have to play by all of the App Store's rules or give Apple a 30% cut.

Hey guys, Loving OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion preview.. but there is a couple of things bugging me,

Is This even possible? airplay is for mirroring the mac to apple tv as far as im aware

Is This even possible? airplay is for mirroring the mac to apple tv as far as im aware

Nah, it's not possible with Mountain Lion's built-in functionality. The Mac isn't supposed to be an AirPlay receiver, much to the chagrin of the people that use Mac Minis as media centers.

yer sorry bout that elliot i was quoting

2. Does anyone know how to disable gestures in safari? seems like they went all out with the trackpad gestures this time.. and it's completely stopped my better touch tool tweaks.

3. Still no HDPI for higher resolutions?

iphone cannot be mirrored to mac, unless of cause you have some software installed on them both :/