OS X Mountain Lion Discussion

Something that annoys me about OS X is the fact that stuff keeps hanging while it waits for my external drives to spin up. Why the hell does this affect things that run from my internal drive?

Has to be Safari or can Chrome be programmed as well?

Both support the web notification API. I'm not sure if Chrome supports Notification Center yet though.

Both support the web notification API. I'm not sure if Chrome supports Notification Center yet though.

it does I think, well it shows up in my notification center settings anyway

Something that annoys me about OS X is the fact that stuff keeps hanging while it waits for my external drives to spin up. Why the hell does this affect things that run from my internal drive?

This has always bothered me too. I've taken to just using network shares because it's so annoying having to wait for the external drive every time I open an open/save dialog.

This has always bothered me too. I've taken to just using network shares because it's so annoying having to wait for the external drive every time I open an open/save dialog.

It even happens when I eject a DMG, with the actual file sitting in my Downloads folder! Ejecting is delayed until both my external drives wake up. :s

Yeah, I've never liked the way OS X handles Disk Images and External Drives. Even started using an AppleScript a few years ago to speed it up by pushing 512kb of Data to each external drive every 3 minutes to prevent spindown...

It even happens when I eject a DMG, with the actual file sitting in my Downloads folder! Ejecting is delayed until both my external drives wake up. :s

I dont know what you dudes are talking about, Oh wait .... I don't . Im on a hack since 2008 :)

I've also been bothered by the spinning up of external drives that I now only plug in my LaCie FireWire drive every 3 days or so in order for Time Machine to backup. If I know that what I'm doing requires the LaCie to be present all the time then I use KeepDriveSpinning.

KeepDriveSpinning then has to turned off again in order for the Mac to automatically sleep. That's my experience. Was previous OS X versions better in this regard? I have a hard time remembering if they were.

Mountain Lion really rocks though. Safari 6 is a little sluggish for me though.

No refreshed Mac Minis even with/after the Mountain Lion release... I wonder when it'll happen. I suppose I'll just cave in and get the server model this week, I need a Coda machine!

Yeah, I've never liked the way OS X handles Disk Images and External Drives. Even started using an AppleScript a few years ago to speed it up by pushing 512kb of Data to each external drive every 3 minutes to prevent spindown...

That has nothing to do with Mac OS X and everything to do with the firmware on the driver itself - and many times the firmware is as buggy as hell but don't expect the HDD to address these issues anytime soon.

That has nothing to do with Mac OS X and everything to do with the firmware on the driver itself - and many times the firmware is as buggy as hell but don't expect the HDD to address these issues anytime soon.

This, I have two (2!) external drives hooked to my iMac and one hangs, and one doesn't.

At some point I'm just going to build a Linux file server since it wouldn't slow down my Mac and it would take up less desk space than the pile of external drives I have currently. I would hook them all up to my Airport, but OSX has a history of "forgetting" those drives. Perhaps that's been fixed in Mountain Lion.

On a positive note, I've been using fast user switching on a clean install without any problems. On Lion it would randomly crash => reboot about 20% of the time.

No refreshed Mac Minis even with/after the Mountain Lion release... I wonder when it'll happen. I suppose I'll just cave in and get the server model this week, I need a Coda machine!

I'm actually hoping they'll hold off a little longer until I get a Mini Server. With a little work you can still install Snow Leopard on the current Minis. Would be nice to have a 10.6/10.8 dual-boot option.

Has anyone had any issues installing Ad Block on Safari 6? I can't get it to install.

No issues here with getting it to install - but it was also the cause of the slowdown I was experiencing with Safari 6. Or so it seems. Once I removed it from Safari 6 all was speedy again.

But again, no problems getting it to install.

No issues here with getting it to install - but it was also the cause of the slowdown I was experiencing with Safari 6. Or so it seems. Once I removed it from Safari 6 all was speedy again.

I just tried again and I still can't get it to install. All it says that there was an error and to try again later.

post-55766-0-17313300-1339589495.png

OS X Mountain Lion brings a lot of great things from iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch to the Mac.

You can send iMessages. Get your Mac in on Game Center. Receive notifications. And more.

And with iCloud, now your Mac works even better with your iOS devices.

Send iMessages to iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or another Mac.

Get notifications. Go head-to-head against iOS gamers.

Learn how to upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store

Have a new Mac? You may qualify for a free upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion

General Requirements

OS X v10.6.8 or later

2GB of memory

8GB of available space

Some features require an Apple ID

Supported Models

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)

MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)

Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

Xserve (Early 2009)

You forgot to add Windows PC (after mods and hackers get it ported over)

I just tried again and I still can't get it to install. All it says that there was an error and to try again later.

What if you get it from the author's site here: http://safariadblock.com/download/

It will download the extension to your Downloads folder - then double-click it to install to Safari. It's what I can think of.

Edit.. this is assuming you're taking the install route from the official Apple Safari Extensions page and that that doesn't work.

What if you get it from the author's site here: http://safariadblock.com/download/

It will download the extension to your Downloads folder - then double-click it to install to Safari. It's what I can think of.

Edit.. this is assuming you're taking the install route from the official Apple Safari Extensions page and that that doesn't work.

Thanks, I actually got help from Apple and figured out what was wrong. It looks like when I installed Mountain Lion the home folder permissions got messed up and it wasn't allowing the installation. Had to reset those permissions and it installed just fine. YAY! LOL

Thanks, I actually got help from Apple and figured out what was wrong. It looks like when I installed Mountain Lion the home folder permissions got messed up and it wasn't allowing the installation. Had to reset those permissions and it installed just fine. YAY! LOL

Permissions repair -- we meet again. They seem to always lurk in the background. Good thing you figured it out by calling Apple.

I noticed the same thing with AdBlock installed. Loading times took a noticeable hit that immediately disappeared after removing the extension.

Clever reply. Oh wait, it's not.

Hehehe........Like that

Hehehe........Like that

Never heard of notebook / ultrabook owners? Or people who actually choose to buy an all-in-one because they don't want a tower anymore?