OS X Mountain Lion Discussion

Those people tend to rely on external HDDs regardless of using a Mac or PC.

And the specific behavior we're talking about here will happen regardless if you're running a real mac or a hack

Still having major issues with my NAS device, but I am thinking it is going to require an update to be released by Synology. It is just no longer showing up under Shared. I can only connect to it with the IP address, not the host name. So really not sure what is going on there, but is literally urking me, as I used to mount a folder within it on startup as that is where I do my nightly backups using Carbon Copy Cloner. I have not played around with it a whole lot, but it really did not require any playing around with in the past. previously it all just worked, and my NAS device would show up under Network without doing much of anything.

Anyone have any insights or tips into this?

Still having major issues with my NAS device, but I am thinking it is going to require an update to be released by Synology. It is just no longer showing up under Shared. I can only connect to it with the IP address, not the host name. So really not sure what is going on there, but is literally urking me, as I used to mount a folder within it on startup as that is where I do my nightly backups using Carbon Copy Cloner. I have not played around with it a whole lot, but it really did not require any playing around with in the past. previously it all just worked, and my NAS device would show up under Network without doing much of anything.

Anyone have any insights or tips into this?

That sounds more like a Bonjour issue. Are other Bonjour-enabled devices around your house working?

I wish I could help more, but my DiskStation seems to be working just fine with my ML machines.

That sounds more like a Bonjour issue. Are other Bonjour-enabled devices around your house working?

I wish I could help more, but my DiskStation seems to be working just fine with my ML machines.

Hmmm, now that you mention it, I was having an issue with my Macbook recognizing my Apple TV, is that Bonjour related? The only thing that somewhat makes that theory not fully sound is my HP printer that is networked. It was having issues initially, but HP had an update out for it on Mountain Lion release day, and then it worked no problem.

But let's go on the fact it is Bonjour related, as I believe that could be the case, what can I do? How does one troubleshoot Bonjour?

I noticed the same thing with AdBlock installed. Loading times took a noticeable hit that immediately disappeared after removing the extension.

I chose Glimmerblocker after this. Works well, but a bit awkward to have it as a preference pane.

^ Yeah, what about them?

Mine connects via USB 3.0 so its pretty instant & very snappy. Im guessing you could get even better performance with anything hooked via a Thunderbolt.

I updated from Lion (that I clean-installed when I first got my MBP), and don't see much of a difference in overall performance other than Mountain Lion system state load times being faster. I am running 2.4GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, and 256MB Crucial M4 SSD. People were saying how much faster Safari was... I don't notice a difference here, either. Kinda bummed as I thought this was going to be quite a performance upgrade.

I have 2 fresh installs of Lion & Mountain Lion working side by side on similar hardware. (though both are hacks so purists can disregard my post)

Earlier I was under the impression that ML doesn't bring much to the table over Lion apart from the whole iCloud sync stuff. However after using it for a couple of weeks I do have a reason to believe that ML is around 8-10% faster than Lion with regards to the common applications that I use (Namely FCP X & AE CS 5.5).

Also, Safari 6 indeed is an upgrade from the old Safari 5.5. It may not be as blazingly fast as marketed but it surely is faster than Safari 5.5 bundled with Lion. For me Safari 6 has replaced Chrome as my default browser on ML, though Chrome still rules on my Lion installation.

I have 2 fresh installs of Lion & Mountain Lion working side by side on similar hardware. (though both are hacks so purists can disregard my post)

Earlier I was under the impression that ML doesn't bring much to the table over Lion apart from the whole iCloud sync stuff. However after using it for a couple of weeks I do have a reason to believe that ML is around 8-10% faster than Lion with regards to the common applications that I use (Namely FCP X & AE CS 5.5).

Also, Safari 6 indeed is an upgrade from the old Safari 5.5. It may not be as blazingly fast as marketed but it surely is faster than Safari 5.5 bundled with Lion. For me Safari 6 has replaced Chrome as my default browser on ML, though Chrome still rules on my Lion installation.

I don't doubt you. I just couldn't perceive any real performance upgrade past the bootup/sleep/shutdown times, or perhaps my expectations were too high. Mountain Lion has been solid so far, though. But so was Lion for me :)

Chrome on my ML install is very slow. The scrolling is extremely sluggish compared to Safari. I don't think it was like this on Lion... Hopefully Google release an update soon for this as I prefer Chrome to sync my bookmarks, tabs, and extensions across my PC and Phone.

Well, it looks like Application Data stuffs are now deleted along with App Package deletions

post-180771-0-48795000-1344203013_thumb.

woo, that means i don't need appzapper anymore :) (though it's still a good little app uninstaller)
  • Like 1

Please note how the dialogue specifically states 'Game Content' it's possible that Apple have coded something like this in specifically for Steam and all other Apps delete as normal.

That requester is specific for Steam only. Seen it before whilst on other OS X releases.

Awww, they need it so it asks to delete Supports files + Config files and any other files the app created whilst being used incase your never gonna use that app again, I don't see the point in keeping the files around.

Awww, they need it so it asks to delete Supports files + Config files and any other files the app created whilst being used incase your never gonna use that app again, I don't see the point in keeping the files around.

Some would argue that it only uses a few KB and doesn't hit system performance in the slightest. But I agree, I'd like a tidy ~/Library

Some would argue that it only uses a few KB and doesn't hit system performance in the slightest. But I agree, I'd like a tidy ~/Library

Yeah, and its not like you see the Library folder often and yeah they are only a few kb, but I don't see the point in keeping them there if your not using the app anymore. Are programs like those appzapper or whatever it is actually safe? How do they even determine what files an app made?

How do they even determine what files an app made?

They basically just do a Spotlight search based on the app file name and return you the results. Nothing you can't do yourself.

I'm finding it incredibly annoying OS X still lacks an uninstaller. Especially when it comes to large installation packages like Microsoft Office, Adobe CS6, Apple Final Cut Studio etc.

They basically just do a Spotlight search based on the app file name and return you the results. Nothing you can't do yourself.

I'm finding it incredibly annoying OS X still lacks an uninstaller. Especially when it comes to large installation packages like Microsoft Office, Adobe CS6, Apple Final Cut Studio etc.

Don't installers for like Office, Adobe etc just place the apps into Applications folder anyway or do they add extra files else where?

Don't installers for like Office, Adobe etc just place the apps into Applications folder anyway or do they add extra files else where?

The latter.

To be honest, if you installed Final Cut, or CS6... why would you unistall it? I don't recall uninstalling a program in a long time, since the days when I had to remove things due to lack of hard drive space, or because they were crappy Windows freewareI used once.

I'm not saying they shouldn't make it better, I'm just saying it's a bit of an edge case these days.