• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

WinZip for iOS

alexalex    75

http://itunes.apple.com/hk/app/winzip/id500637987?mt=8

With WinZip, a zip file management application for iPhone and iPad you can:

- Open Zip files and Zip attachments from email

- Browse and view Zip files, including multi-file attachments

- Open encrypted Zip files

- Copy the contents of Zip files to the clipboard

- View Zip file attachments from webmail (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc)

Zipped file types that can be previewed:

- .txt, .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, .rtf, .pdf, .key, .numbers, .pages, .htm, .htm, .jsp, .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .tif, .tiff, .png, .gif

An easy-to-use interface for quickly opening and manage compressed Zip files on your iPhone and iPad.

Simon-    492

iOS already has archive utility apps, and it is no longer "Win" Zip if it is no longer on "Win" is it?

Personally I do not understand the continued momentum of WinZIp in the Windows space. Windows already includes a capable Zip utility, the Interface is unintuitive (it doesn't display a directory tree properly), recent versions introduce a new "zipx" format by default which breaks compatibility with everything (Some people's first thought that it must be a new "Windows 7 format" to have an X on the end like Microsoft Office 2007+), It is not free (and most people don't use it enough to warrant a paid option) and against the terms to continue using it after the trial period, and finally using it past the trial period sets off the timer which is vastly annoying.

Windows built-in ZIP utility is the best to use because it offers the baseline level of compatibility.that most people who have at least Windows XP can already open it.

If Windows build in ZIP utility is not enough, 7-zip is the best fully featured ZIP utility and is free.

If you want a paid ZIP utility, WinRAR is vastly superior to WinZIP.

Given the available options and that most people who use WinZIP are continuing to run WinZIP illegally (potentially opening themselves up to liability in the future) it really makes me wonder WHY when there are so many better options. WinZip is just a relic from the 90s, even the self-extraction module is not even that good compared to 7-zip and WinRAR self-extraction modules.

alexalex    75

iOS already has archive utility apps, and it is no longer "Win" Zip if it is no longer on "Win" is it?

Personally I do not understand the continued momentum of WinZIp in the Windows space. Windows already includes a capable Zip utility, the Interface is unintuitive (it doesn't display a directory tree properly), recent versions introduce a new "zipx" format by default which breaks compatibility with everything (Some people's first thought that it must be a new "Windows 7 format" to have an X on the end like Microsoft Office 2007+), It is not free (and most people don't use it enough to warrant a paid option) and against the terms to continue using it after the trial period, and finally using it past the trial period sets off the timer which is vastly annoying.

Windows built-in ZIP utility is the best to use because it offers the baseline level of compatibility.that most people who have at least Windows XP can already open it.

If Windows build in ZIP utility is not enough, 7-zip is the best fully featured ZIP utility and is free.

If you want a paid ZIP utility, WinRAR is vastly superior to WinZIP.

Given the available options and that most people who use WinZIP are continuing to run WinZIP illegally (potentially opening themselves up to liability in the future) it really makes me wonder WHY when there are so many better options. WinZip is just a relic from the 90s, even the self-extraction module is not even that good compared to 7-zip and WinRAR self-extraction modules.

What has anything you wrote to do with iOS ?

Any way, 7-zip is such a failure, and I never was able to extract a RAR/Zip files with it. All attempts failed with CRC errors.

Simon-    492

What has anything you wrote to do with iOS ?

Any way, 7-zip is such a failure, and I never was able to extract a RAR/Zip files with it. All attempts failed with CRC errors.

Never had a problem with 7-zip, Your RAR/Zips must be corrupt.

+Code Name: Lockdown    9,254

Seeing as this went off-topic within moments ;)

I have had numerous ZIP files that Windows built in compression could not open, PKunzip could not open, but WinZip could...

Simon-    492

Seeing as this went off-topic within moments ;)

I have had numerous ZIP files that Windows built in compression could not open, PKunzip could not open, but WinZip could...

Because WinZIP has added non-standard formats (not just zipx extension but on zip itself too) to make it so only WinZip will work (The file you tried must have been made with WinZIP). That's why I'm saying that it is best to use Windows Built-In ZIP to make ZIPs so that you can ensure compatibility all around because ZIPs made in Windows work with all ZIP programs. The longer that WinZIp is still being used for longer than these sort of mistakes will continue as users don't realise that they are making non-standard ZIP files.

At my old job in a Support Centre, some moron used WinZIP to package a patch to the software we were selling in the default zipx format and distributed it to all of the clients (6000 odd). The Support work for that was a nightmare with all sorts of questions on why people couldn't open it. In the end it was much easier to just repackage it as a standard ZIP using Windows than to work through the installation of WinZip for so many clients, who would then be caused to be using unlicensed software when the trial finishes.