can't download updates

Share your WindowsUpdate.log from your Windows folder. I just downloaded the same 2 updates without issue.

2012-02-19    21:15:09:092     576    1318    AU      # WARNING: Install call completed, reboot required = Yes, error = 0x00000000

stop the automatic updates in services, then go to C:\windows\softwaredistrobution\downloads, then delete all the data from the folder and then recycle bin, reboot and try again, you MUST stop the automatic updates in services before deleting the download data :) this should fix the problem after a reboot :)

stop the automatic updates in services, then go to C:\windows\softwaredistrobution\downloads, then delete all the data from the folder and then recycle bin, reboot and try again, you MUST stop the automatic updates in services before deleting the download data :) this should fix the problem after a reboot :)

I'd call this a last resort, especially since certain errors won't even be affected by this.

I tried all the above, and ran MS's fix app, now I get a new error for these same updates: Error code 80072EE2. I still get that error after running MS's fix app.

Suggestions?

Now I'm getting: Code 80072F78 - Windows Update encountered an unknown error While downloading. I disabled MSE but get the same error. Any ideas?

These errors never occurred to me before, so I have no experience with those.trans.gif?cver=1864.1401

I reformatted and started clean and fresh. I still get that dreaded error: Code 80072F78 when installing:

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2468871)

I ran sfc /scannow and it didn't find any errors. I also disable MSE but again the error.

I also changed the setting in IE to use "proxy servers" without inputting an address and that didn't work.

I don't what else to do. Ideas?

That's apparently an indication of proxy issues... besides MSE, do you have any other security software running, like firewalls?

Also, perhaps you should download a program like Malwarebytes and do a manual scan?

I don't have anything other than MSE, and I just did an clean install of windows!

I found this, could that be the solution? Npoe, that didn't make a difference.

WindowsUpdate.log:

2012-03-06 05:13:14:597 476 77c Report WER Report sent: 7.5.7601.17514 0x80072f78 5F46C0B9-C57C-484E-B6E5-80DDED34BFA3 Download 101 Unmanaged
2012-03-06 05:13:14:597 476 77c Report CWERReporter finishing event handling. (00000000)
2012-03-06 05:13:19:593 476 77c Report CWERReporter finishing event handling. (00000000)
[/CODE]

I said this earlier in the topic, but I'm going to say it again because I saw it come up explicitly in a thread relating to your error:

Have you checked and made sure the time and date are correct? Even if it seems like they are, try a manual update from the time servers. If one server doesn't work, then use a different one.

I said this earlier in the topic, but I'm going to say it again because I saw it come up explicitly in a thread relating to your error:

Have you checked and made sure the time and date are correct? Even if it seems like they are, try a manual update from the time servers. If one server doesn't work, then use a different one.

I also did that. Eventually I installed the update manually and it worked.