• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

HELP! Emergency! Pc Anywhere 9.2 and earlier version, running XP Build

articwolfie    0

I really need some help guys, I have two systems down! The machines will boot into Safe mode jsut fine, but will not boot in normal mode, all i get is a black screen. I can press the power button and the machines shut down correctly. Like the machine has booted to the login screen but i cant see anything. and safemode wont let me remove Pc Anywhere... I Can't lose the data or configuration on these machines, I have to recover them safely. I'm on a time schedule. Please Help! Or offer suggestions

:(

E3L    0

Ya. thast an know problem with pcAnywhere 9 and windows 2K/XP. You have to (acording ot Symantec, who I did some work for a while ago) install hte 9.2 update BEFORE you restart after installation, othewiser you wont be able to boot due to changes made to winlogon.exe etc. I'm not sure about a post instlaltion solution, you might try doing a ERD restore... donno. Good Luck...

:)

me101    0

I use PC Anywhere in work, and it nearly hosed my win2k server box until i remember somewhere about getting the latest update. Now before I actually update anything related to my win2k boxes, I go and check to see if there are any updates, and yes I could use LiveUpdate, but I just don't like it!

I really only use PcA very rarely now, in place I use Virtual Network Computing or VNC for short. it's a remote access server and app, works on like zillions of platforms, is FAST, VERY small, works over TCP/IP and is a network admins dream. Installs as a service so you can even when a PC starts up see the login screen of Windows. And best of all, VNC is FREE!

Hills420    0

I experienced this same problem a while ago installing PC Anywhere 9.0 on my W2K box. I fixed it by looking for the 9.2 patch on the Symantec webpage.

From Symantec

If you have already installed pcAnywhere 9.0 and are having problems restarting the computer:

1. Download the file 921up.exe to a local directory.

2. Restart Windows 2000 in Safe mode. To start in safe mode, press while starting the computer.

3. Locate and run the 921up.exe file to update pcAnywhere.

4. Restart Windows in Normal mode.

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/cgi-bin/c....html&x=61&y=13

--Hope this link works, if not check out the patches/updates page for PC Anywhere 9.0

articwolfie    0

I have successfully un-installed windows xp in safe mdoe on one of my systems. The other system will not even boot into safe mode for me right now. does anyone have a clue if there is a command line uninstall for xp? since I upgraded to XP from win98SE ...there is a previous OS to go back too. which has worked great on one machine. And, I dont mean format.

Please note I had the XP Build# wrong .. I meant 2532 ...it doesnt change anyhting, but I wanted to clear that up.

Thanks