Cinavia on PS3 renders it obsolete

Apparently this "cinavia" DRM has been around for a while, but I just had my first taste of it and can't be happier it happened sooner than later, when I might have purchased another Sony console.

I have no desire to attempt bypassing it, but the fact it exists instantly made me anti-sony. I suppose the PC is the only platform I can trust not to self-destruct into a useless pile of DRM.

I was a playstation fan, but now it's enemy.

i'm guessing you downloaded some pirated movie made by a Sony movie studio lol. yea it sucks the PS3 has that DRM but there are other devices out there that play it without the audio getting killed. (e.g. WD Live)

I buy blu-rays and copy them with Handbrake to a media server to make everything play instantly across any device in the house.

I am definitely now in the market for a streaming device. WD Live will be one of them I look into.

• Like 2

Apparently this "cinavia" DRM has been around for a while, but I just had my first taste of it and can't be happier it happened sooner than later, when I might have purchased another Sony console.

I have no desire to attempt bypassing it, but the fact it exists instantly made me anti-sony. I suppose the PC is the only platform I can trust not to self-destruct into a useless pile of DRM.

Have you ever seen a movie with the Macrovision copy protection? That was annoying.

You can get around it by setting the PS3's clock forward a couple of hours every 20 minutes when the Cinavia thing stops your movie playing... but that is one giant pain in the arse.

Dont pirate films then.

Dont pirate films then.

I buy blu-rays and copy them with Handbrake to a media server to make everything play instantly across any device in the house.

Helps to read...

I saw it in action on a friend's PS3 and yeah, it's annoying. I can't be that bothered as I don't use my PS3 as a media server, heh.

• Like 3

Helps to read...

I think he means he doesn't quite believe that he's just "out of the blue" encountering this issue and is in fact just downloading some crap from torrents that include Cinavia.

However, you can get around Cinavia by using a passthrough DTS if you have a DTS enabled decoder. mkv2vob helps here.

• Like 2

From what I understand also if you keep the folder structure of the bluray then it will also create a file to make sure that the protection doesn't kick in.

Get a Boxee Box fro best buy.. the best 180 I have ever spent.. plays 1080P x264 mkvs ALL DAY!

Why pay double the price for a Boxee when you can get a WD Live that plays everything?

Why pay double the price for a Boxee when you can get a WD Live that plays everything?

Acually one of those A4 amd laptops would play really anything... I'm looking at the Hi10P videos that are becoming mainstream...

i read in places that have "things" and people have trouble playing some x264 rips. It could just be them..

• 3 years later...
On 2/20/2012, 1:28:50, Denis W. said:

Helps to read...

I saw it in action on a friend's PS3 and yeah, it's annoying. I can't be that bothered as I don't use my PS3 as a media server, heh.

sure, because every pirate will say that

• DrunknMunky locked this topic