Bones found on ROOF of funeral home

Bones have been found on the roof of a funeral home shut down after frozen water bottles were allegedly used to preserve dead bodies inside.

Grievers have been gathering outside Carter Funeral Chapels in Chicago, Illinois, demanding to know what has happened to their relatives? remains.

Police said they found a back door off its hinges, no power or heating inside the building and bodies in ?various states of preparation?.

Police searched Carter on Monday morning after they responded to call of a suspicious person in a car in front of the home at 3:45am.

They searched the home and found it in a ?state of disarray? with three men inside. Two said they worked there as caretakers, police said.

There was an arrest warrant out against the third for a traffic violation. He was arrested but the other men were not.

'My dad died three months and ten days ago. I want my Daddy's ashes. I want some answers. It's indescribable'.

The owner got a violation notice for providing improper care to human remains and failing to have the right facilities or equipment, police said.

But Henry Carter told the Chicago Tribune he always treats bodies in his care ?with the utmost respect? and was not criminally charged.

?They have combed every inch of this funeral home (and) have not found one thing non-compliant,? the owner Mr Carter said outside the home.

All but three of the bodies were removed by the end of Monday and taken to other homes, with the remaining ones taken away on Tuesday.

more