336454461.png

Tribes: Ascend is an upcoming free-to-play multiplayer-only first-person shooter part of the Tribes franchise. It is currently being developed by Hi-Rez Studios, and is available as a download for Windows, though the possibility of an Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 release in the future hasn't been ruled out. Signature characteristics of the previous Tribes games such as jetpacks and high-speed skiing will be featured in the game.

Currently, the game is available to play in the form of an open beta. Release date TBA.

Official Website

Game modes and maps

Hi-Rez Studios is currently testing Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch and Arena game modes. While some maps will retain the classic nature of the Tribes franchise with large open areas and base structures, others will have a more urban feel to them, featuring buildings and streets. Katabatic is one confirmed map for Tribes: Ascend, which originally appeared in Tribes 2, along with a revamped version of Broadside called Crossfire.

Loadouts and classes

Tribes: Ascend will feature a class-based loadout system. Each loadout specifies what type of armor the player has, along with what weapons and items they carry. Loadouts will only support three weapons at a time; two in-hand weapons and one melee object, along with either grenades or mines and a pack. All nine classes are separated by armour type, though their purposes vary. Armour type governs mass and energy, and thus maneuverability.

Light:
Pathfinder - Flag capper and chaser.
Infiltrator - Saboteur with stealth equipment.
Sentinel - Sniper.
Medium:
Soldier - All-purpose.
Raider - Base saboteur with explosive equipment.
Technician - Base repair and defense.
Heavy:
Juggernaut - Long range explosive damage.
Brute - All-purpose defense.
Doombringer - Flag defense.

Communication

Communication in Tribes: Ascend is more fluent than one might presume for a game without VOIP. Vocal hotkeys are letter-coded and thus very easy to remember and communicate with, as demonstrated in this video:

Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDCX-V8th5E

How do we not have an official Shazbot thread yet? Well, problem solved.

I haven't played the beta in a long while. Have they done anything to improve the game's performance?

I haven't played the beta in a long while. Have they done anything to improve the game's performance?

Not yet. The artwork in most of the maps is incomplete, and optimization hasn't occurred yet. I don't have high expectations for Hirez optimizing things, however.

Indeed, on my box (@4.2GHz clocked/2x560SLI) I get solid 75fps vsync'ed on most occasions (SLI requires making an nVidia profile by hand, it's not yet currently supported properly).

2-3 patches ago I was having considerable frame rate issues so they did change something.

The game kinda seems to be broken right now. If I can even connect without getting the error message about my account not having access to the game (I was just playing 10 minutes ago...) I get disconnected from servers every 10 or 15 minutes or it hard freezes my computer. :s

No issues with any other online game though, so I know it's not my computer or internet.

The game kinda seems to be broken right now. If I can even connect without getting the error message about my account not having access to the game (I was just playing 10 minutes ago...) I get disconnected from servers every 10 or 15 minutes or it hard freezes my computer. :s

No issues with any other online game though, so I know it's not my computer or internet.

No issues on my end, although they have been having server problems lately and downtime. May have something to do with it?

No issues on my end, although they have been having server problems lately and downtime. May have something to do with it?

I guess so.

When I can actually play the game is fun, I usually come out in the top 2 or 3 on the score board. Trying out the scout class, it's tricky to get the aiming down with that class though. Soldier is much easier to get kills with for me.

FINALLY, there is an official thread for this awesome game. It's sucking me away from BF3 that's how addictive it is!

Got given a closed beta key way back in November. Tried it out then, didn't like it much. Besides I was engrossed in BF3. Tried it every couple weeks or so. Still wasn't find the appeal. Then when Origin went down again couple of weeks ago (just after T:A had a massive patch) I tried it out again (round the same time they introduced the new UI) and I was totally loving it. Found the appeal and started learning the game properly.

Game is hard to learn, and the skill ceiling is incredibly high. But don't let that put you off, there is fun to be had here. You just need to learn the game first. It rewards tactics and skill. Nothing more.

Game is hard to learn, and the skill ceiling is incredibly high. But don't let that put you off, there is fun to be had here. You just need to learn the game first. It rewards tactics and skill. Nothing more.

Thats my problem.

The learning curve is so steppt that new players are not able to do any good.

I played two rounds a couple of days ago and some more yesterday, and I couldn't get any kills. You have to be masterful for the projectile to hit the target. Though, I have found someluck with the Soldier' SMG, its still not that good.

I really really wanna get into this game. Ain't helping much :(

Wait...is it my imagination or weren't they selling this game for $30 a few months ago?

They have a model where you unlock alternate weapons and classes faster if you pay 30$ one time. Not really P2W, don't worry. This price will definitely drop in time.

And the skill curve isn't as high as people make it out to be. I haven't played Tribes since I was 9, and I picked up the basics in a few minutes. From there it's all learning the maps. I am now a capper/chaser, full time pathfinder that frequently exceeds 220 sph.

If anyone wants to join me, I'm usually online 11 PM - 1 AM MST, name's Reacon.

Yeah, like I said, I don't find it all that difficult, I usually end in the top 2 or 3 on the score board. It's fairly easy to learn to predict where people are going and shoot ahead of them. That being said, I still can't play the game very much because it's very unstable.

Wait...is it my imagination or weren't they selling this game for $30 a few months ago?
Not selling it no. They have a store where you can purchase in-game gold. You can then use this to buy XP Boosters or use the gold to unlock stuff (weapons, perks, classes etc).

p1PGf.png

You don't have to buy a pack, but considering I'm playing this game a lot more than BF3 now. I went ahead and bought the special Closed Beta pack that they had up there. A nice extra is that if you buy anything from the store you get a lifetime VIP status on Tribes. Which means you will always get extra XP.

Just incase, it is better to spend your gold on weapons than classes. The XP:Gold ratio works out much better when unlocking weapons with gold. Once you learn the game you'll be racking up XP easy. I'd suggest everyone plays Pathfinder to grind XP.

Thats my problem.

The learning curve is so steppt that new players are not able to do any good.

I played two rounds a couple of days ago and some more yesterday, and I couldn't get any kills. You have to be masterful for the projectile to hit the target. Though, I have found someluck with the Soldier' SMG, its still not that good.

I really really wanna get into this game. Ain't helping much :(

I was a new player around two weeks ago. You just need to practice, practice and more practice. Learn movement first. You can't move, you can't do **** in this game. You are never going fast enough, you need to go faster. I wouldn't bother with any hitscan weapons. Tribes has a core focus on projectile based weapons. Learn projectile, anyone can kill with hitscan weapons. Projectiles need skill.

So whats the best class and game mode to get experience in do you guys think? I'm trying to decide if I want to unlock a new class or keep upgrading my scout.

So whats the best class and game mode to get experience in do you guys think? I'm trying to decide if I want to unlock a new class or keep upgrading my scout.
For duelling I'd say Arena. For flag capping skills and skiing I'd say TDM (it would have been Rabbit, but that's been removed for me). Everything else CTF.

Best class? Well the staple class of Tribes is Pathfinder. I'd suggest everyone learns pathfinder as all the other classes will branch off it to some degree.

The new badges added in the patch the other day really did a lot to accelerate experience gain. I like it. Seems like I might actually be able to unlock some useful stuff now in a decent amount of time.

The new badges added in the patch the other day really did a lot to accelerate experience gain. I like it. Seems like I might actually be able to unlock some useful stuff now in a decent amount of time.

Yup, if any of you guys are going to buy boosters. Now is the time to do it. The badges are incredibly easy to earn and you'll be making x4 the XP easily.

This game can be beyond frustrating sometimes. When I get into cqc situations while playing a raider or infiltrator I think I usually end up killing myself more often than other players. I guess I need to look into getting that reduced self damage perk.

I need to start playing this again, but when I was playing it before I have to agree with the steep learning curve that some people have said.

However it is great fun to play!! so stick with it

This game can be beyond frustrating sometimes. When I get into cqc situations while playing a raider or infiltrator I think I usually end up killing myself more often than other players. I guess I need to look into getting that reduced self damage perk.
Ego-centric mate!
I need to start playing this again, but when I was playing it before I have to agree with the steep learning curve that some people have said.

However it is great fun to play!! so stick with it

Indeed, it's a very hard game to get into. Something showcased after it went Open Beta, the games were overly quickly and always 5-0. Too many newbs, too quickly. Hopefully, they'll stick around and learn to play properly.