Tried it and my machine can't play it. Been running on outdated hardware for years and I rarely game on it so it's expected. Probably for the better I got kind of addicted to Tribes 1 way back when and played it for 6 years, I just don't have the free time anymore. It does look pretty nice though.

And the skill curve isn't as high as people make it out to be. I haven't played Tribes since I was 9, and I picked up the basics in a few minutes. From there it's all learning the maps. I am now a capper/chaser, full time pathfinder that frequently exceeds 220 sph.

Yeah, like I said, I don't find it all that difficult, I usually end in the top 2 or 3 on the score board. It's fairly easy to learn to predict where people are going and shoot ahead of them.

Yeah, public CTF servers in general don't require that much, since you can practically walk a grabbed flag home and cap.

However, in competitive matches and/or organized scrimms/PUGs, a 220 grab isn't that fast a grab, kill ratios and placements on the score-screen don't matter much.

This is where you'll find out how high the skill-curve truly is, and how little the success on a public server means.

I always end up in the middle or below on the score screen, but as a defensive player, am one of those who have done most flag orientated 'work' on the team.

But that's not rewarded that high, due to HiRez strange approach at how the different events are awarded.

For example is killing the gens is awarded higher then defending the flag, and an assigned capper will get rewarded with 10k points max from caps and a little extra from kills, even though he's plays the most important role.

It's okay though, since it's all about getting the 5 caps!

On pubs, i easily gets placed as the highest ranked player, and any descent sniper will take the #1 spot any day.

It means nothing.

The game has always been, and is about team-work and individual skills.

You wont find team-work on most public CTF servers, and the cowboy play-style only works because people are too busy getting that K:D ratio going, and killing generators.

If you're a stranger to teamwork (tribes-style), know no capping routes with good speeds, and only ever played for kills, you will get your ass handed to you against an organized team, no doubt :)

Too bad it's running UE3, netcode is crap for that engine :/

Apparently they're rolling out some "fixes" in the next patch early next week - I find it hilarious that a game made early 2k has better netcode, more variety and more depth than one made in 2012.

Apparently they're rolling out some "fixes" in the next patch early next week - I find it hilarious that a game made early 2k has better netcode, more variety and more depth than one made in 2012.

Well UE3 is managing a lot more resources than UE2, so the netcode can't handle properly all the mess around.

I'm glad to hear that a patch is coming next week :)

• 4 weeks later...

I guess everyone is way to busy Spinfusoring everyone to post about the game eh??? EH?

Hell, Eurogamer gave it a 10 out of 10. I am utterly amazed at that one thing by itself lol

http://www.eurogamer...s-ascend-review

Wow... that's quite an achievement.

However, lately I've seen a massive decrease in overall skill from the playerbase. It is extraordinarily hard to play flag offense and defense because of how team dependent it is. HoF is impossible when you have a solely offensive team (a sadly common occurrence), and playing fatfinder (Brute capping) is hard because no one takes your VFFs and VSAFs seriously. They llama the flag at 100 after I spam VFF, and end up ruining a run that I would have emerged from alive, and making me backtrack a ton. Does anyone know how hard it is to get speed as Brute?

Well of course the skill level is going to drop. The player base has been slowly increasing with the F2P model. And now that it is officially out expect it to explode. Normally one or two noobs on the team won't make a big a difference. But a team full of them is hard work. Just be patient!

I started playing the game yesterday, so I'm sure that I'm part of the exact problem that you're describing :laugh: . No worries, I'll probably drift back to Starcraft 2 in about a week or so, and then the average player skill level can return to its original state (or close to it).

It's a good game, just based on the small amount of time that I spent playing it. I was never huge on Tribes back in the day (I was always more about Quake III Arena), but it's cool to play something that's just so different from every other multiplayer FPS out right now. I've been conditioned to keep my expectations super low when it comes to F2P games, but this is surprisingly well polished. It really feels like a retail product, and it ran great on my fairly mid-range machine.

This game is pretty fun, (I did play original tribes games) and it's very close.

I do like if you decide to purchase any "gold" used for speed unlocks you get a permanent 2x XP earning on your account too.

Have experienced the inability for our team to not have our generator not constantly blown up on some capture the flag maps, however.

I started playing last night, loving it so far and I think I'm picking it up pretty quickly.

Been playing as a brute the past hour or so and now I'm making top 3 in my team consistently with a score of about 9000, that's in Team Deathmatch though. Tried playing capture the flag but no one seemed very organised and I felt like I was the only person trying to defend our base.

Fun game.

Sadly the EXP requirements are sooooo much! I'm just an average gamer imo, unlocking perks and extra guns would require me using real money sadly.

Fun game.

Sadly the EXP requirements are sooooo much! I'm just an average gamer imo, unlocking perks and extra guns would require me using real money sadly.

If you buy anything with real world money, you are promoted to VIP and earn +50% exp for life.

If you really enjoy the game, I don't see what prevents you from spending ~$10 for a game where you'll spend many many many hours :)

Yeah, I'm tempted to go for the $10 package just to get VIP status. I can spend the gold on some perks or use it to unlock some of the other classes. It's nice to see that so many of the upgrades can only be attained through XP. Now people have to put in the time and effort to upgrade their class of choice, instead of just buying their way to the best character possible (though obviously things like XP boosters and VIP status give advantages to those with cash to spare).

Still enjoying this game a lot. I actually played as a Technician (or whatever that turret building class is called) quite a bit on Sunday, which is surprisingly fun when you're on a team that actually works together in CTF.

• 1 month later...