WWII vet says nobody helped

jdegree

DETROIT - A World War II veteran said nobody helped him in the minutes after he was attacked and carjacked during daylight at a busy Detroit gas station and he had to crawl across a concrete parking lot to get help.

A roughly four-minute surveillance video shows 86-year-old Aaron Brantley struggling to get from the fuel pump to the gas station's door as people walked and drove by him Wednesday morning. The video was first obtained by the Detroit Free Press.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/wwii-vet-says-nobody-helped-after-he-was-carjacked-1.3558464

qdave

The biggest curse in our society is indifference to others. very sad. +its Detroit!

tiagosilva29

The Lions' defense failed again. Nothing new to see here.

• Like 2
Anibal P

Why anyone chooses to live in that cesspool we call Detroit just baffles the mind, this is just icing on the cake when someone gets some sense and razes the whole disgusting place ad turns it into something useful like a farm field or pasture for cattle

bjoswald

Doesn't surprise me at all. It's a dog-eat-dog world and it's all about survival of the fittest. If you can't adapt, you're dead. Unfortunately, people don't help unless there's something in it for them.

Southern Patriot

I'm glad I live in the south were people still actually give a damn about there fellow man, especially the elderly. Everyone in that video who ignored him should be ashamed of themselves.

Geoffrey B.

The biggest curse in our society is indifference to others. very sad. +its Detroit!

I agree completely.

Charisma

Doesn't surprise me at all. It's a dog-eat-dog world and it's all about survival of the fittest. If you can't adapt, you're dead. Unfortunately, people don't help unless there's something in it for them.

Or they would help, but they're afraid they'll turn around and be sued if they don't succeed, or if something unexpected happens. Or the "injured" person could be faking it to get an unsuspecting person to come to their assistance, so they can turn around and mug them. Unfortunately, it's come to this.

Seizure1990

Or they would help, but they're afraid they'll turn around and be sued if they don't succeed, or if something unexpected happens. Or the "injured" person could be faking it to get an unsuspecting person to come to their assistance, so they can turn around and mug them. Unfortunately, it's come to this.

Naw, I think people are just unwilling to spend any effort on something that they don't think they will receive any benefit from.

Southern Patriot

Good Samaritan laws in many places would protect someone from being sued in those cases. And I really doubt an 86 year old man is going to be mugging anyone.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Hum
      Bob Hastings, an actor best known for portraying Lt. Elroy Carpenter, a bumbling yes-man on the 1960s sitcom ?McHale?s Navy,? died on Monday in Burbank, Calif. He was 89.

The cause was prostate cancer, Allison Knowles, his granddaughter, said,

Mr. Hastings appeared on ?McHale?s Navy? throughout its run, from 1962 to 1966. The show starred Ernest Borgnine in the title role as the lieutenant commander of a misfit PT boat outfit in the South Pacific during World War II.

In the late 1950s Mr. Hastings had a recurring role in another military sitcom, ?The Phil Silvers Show,? originally set on an Army base in Kansas.

He went on to appear in some of the most popular series of the ?60s, ?70s and ?80s, including ?The Untouchables,? ?Car 54, Where Are You?,? ?The Twilight Zone,? ?The Munsters,? ?I Dream of Jeannie,? ?Green Acres,? ?Love, American Style,? ?Ironside,? ?All in the Family? and ?Murder, She Wrote,? as well as the daytime drama ?General Hospital.?

Robert Francis Hastings was born on April 18, 1925, in Brooklyn, and began his career at 11 on radio dramas. After serving in the Army Air Corps in World War II, he starred as Archie Andrews in a radio series based on the Archie comic books.

more
    • By Hum
      When Roman Blum died last year at age 97, his body lingered in the Staten Island University Hospital morgue for four days, until a rabbi at the hospital was able to track down his lawyer.
      Mr. Blum, a Holocaust survivor and real estate developer, left behind no heirs and no surviving family members ? his former wife died in 1992 and the couple was childless. His funeral, held graveside at the New Montefiore Jewish Cemetery in West Babylon, N.Y., was attended by a small number of mourners, most of them elderly fellow survivors or children of survivors.
      Much about Mr. Blum?s life was shrouded in mystery: He always claimed he was from Warsaw, although many who knew him said he actually came from Chelm, in southeast Poland. Several people close to Mr. Blum said that before World War II, in Poland, he had a wife and child who perished in the Holocaust, though Mr. Blum seems never to have talked of them, and the International Tracing Service in Bad Arolsen, Germany, has no record of them in its database. Even his birth date is in question. Records here give it as Sept. 16, 1914; identity cards from a German displaced persons camp have it as Sept. 15.
      But perhaps the greatest mystery surrounding Mr. Blum is why a successful developer, who built hundreds of houses around Staten Island and left behind an estate valued at almost $40 million, would die without a will.
      That is no small matter, as his is the largest unclaimed estate in New York State history, according to the state comptroller?s office.
      ?He was a very smart man but he died like an idiot,? said Paul Skurka, a fellow Holocaust survivor who befriended Mr. Blum after doing carpentry work for him in the 1970s.
      ?He had deeds on his desk piled up to the ceiling of properties he owned,? said Vincent Daino, who was Mr. Blum?s neighbor for 25 years and became his unpaid driver when the older man?s eyesight began to fail. ?There were royalties from oil rigs in Alaska, money from his stocks ? about once a month he would have me drive him to the bank so he could deposit $100,000 checks.?
      more