Invoice Management System

Question

I was recently contacted by a friend, who was in need of an online invoice management system to keep track of his clients payments.

So far I have created

• The login page
  • Client registration system
  • Invoice page
  • Payment overviews (%paid, %outstanding etc.)

What I need to know is, what other features can I include?

Once finished, this 'script' will be available to download on my portfolio when it is released.

Thanks!

9 answers to this question

It really depends on the "client's" needs. Gathering specifications is part of the development process. Ask as many questions as you can, ask them about their process, and what they WISH it would do.

Good luck.

Why reinvent the wheel. There are millions of software packages that can do everything at low cost. What does yours need to do that others' can't.

I was about to say go and have a look at The Chrome Webstore there are some fantastic (free and paid for) online accounting apps that are perfect! The one I use is Wave Accounting.

It really depends on the "client's" needs. Gathering specifications is part of the development process. Ask as many questions as you can, ask them about their process, and what they WISH it would do.

Good luck.

The specification I got was a 'general invoice management system' so it didn't really give me much insight to the features they wanted.

I'll research some other scripts, and have a look at what features they include.

Why reinvent the wheel. There are millions of software packages that can do everything at low cost. What does yours need to do that others' can't.

I was about to say go and have a look at The Chrome Webstore there are some fantastic (free and paid for) online accounting apps that are perfect! The one I use is Wave Accounting.

To gain experience, any practice is good practice.

I'm mainly doing this project to bulk up my portfolio, and improve on UI Design.

To gain experience, any practice is good practice.

I'm mainly doing this project to bulk up my portfolio, and improve on UI Design.

Sounds reasonable. :)

Sounds reasonable. :)

Haha, glad someone can see why I'm doing this :)

So, back to the original question, can anyone think of features I can include?

Have you added being able to create Reports, Print out invoices.etc, e-mail them? (PDF and mail() ). Also is there a user system as such, like different roles can do different things and then an Admin Area that if you have a certain role you can acsess. The admin page should contain User Management, Invoice Management, Invoice Templates.etc

• Like 1

Have you added being able to create Reports, Print out invoices.etc, e-mail them? (PDF and mail() ). Also is there a user system as such, like different roles can do different things and then an Admin Area that if you have a certain role you can acsess. The admin page should contain User Management, Invoice Management, Invoice Templates.etc

Great ideas, I haven't created most of them; thanks! :)

The specification I got was a 'general invoice management system' so it didn't really give me much insight to the features they wanted.

I'll research some other scripts, and have a look at what features they include.

So, you've gotten your first "push back" (also known as "I don't know what I want, but go build it") You are going to have to get used to this little form of he!! It is imperative that you get the client's needs from the client. Yes there are other apps that may fit their needs and I agree that even if there is, you will want the practice. Looking over other applications will give you ideas on what is often done, but in the end what is important is what THIS client needs. Be firm with them about getting the specs that they need.

Good luck.