Insulting 1% Waitress Tip

Chicane-UK

Horrid. If the waiter / waitress or the food is bad then I will not leave a tip.. but either would have to be MEDIOCRE for that to be the case. Any other time I leave 10%, and more if I really enjoyed it (seems we have a different system here in the UK compared to the US for tipping!).

• Like 1
+NJ Louch

Customer service, as a general rule, is TERRIBLE in England!

Shadrack

I tipped the waitress $1 the other day for a $26 meal because the service was just terrible. The service has to be pretty bad for me not to leave at least a 20% tip. Most of the time I leave 20+% tips. I don't leave tips when the service is so bad that I will probably never come back.

Hum

Waitresses/waiters should wear a little badge, saying what they get paid an hour.

And there should be no set minimum tip.

lt8480

We found that customer service was lacking in England, perhaps because they aren't expecting a tip. I'm not how accurate this is, but it seemed to a broad pattern. You might not notice it if you're used to it though.

In England tips are still "expected" in proper restaurants, maybe 20% in London and 5-15% elsewhere. The UK has higher minimum wages therefore the "need" to tip is far less because staff are paid "sufficiently to live on" to begin with.

Staff are paid higher, tax is added on to the advertised prices (VAT is paid in restaurants but not takeaway) and raw ingredients costs more in the UK ... therefore establishments of "equal quality" will necessarily be more costly in the UK than the US.

I suspect US people visiting the UK expect too much to begin with... seeing what appears to be "one step up" in cost but it turns out to be the same - especially when visiting London where food is even more costly to begin with.

On a side note: in the US to me the service seems blown way overboard, in places where food gets worse the staff appear to act even more out of control, almost as if they were in a high quality restaurant but in reality its a cheap lunch time meal... desperate to get a tip, almost in fear that nothing will be left because the food isn't good enough.

I've found the good restaurants in the UK are better than the good in the US, and the worse are worse, but overall more predicable in overall quality than the US.... It's almost like the owners care about their restaurants and check to make sure they are employing high quality staff rather than letting the customers gamble.

Whilst it sounds like in the guy in the OP source was being unnecessarily rude. Staff should not expect a tip ... I once left 1p with the note explaining it was the worst service I had ever had, because although the food was great, 3rd courses started turning up whilst maybe only 5 minutes into the main course. We could barely fit the melting dessert on the table.

Stoffel

you can say a lot about Americans but most of them are good tippers.

I work in the backpacker industry, and deal with people from all over the world.

We work hard all day to please our customers and most of them never tip.

It is only when we have American customers that we can hope for a little tip

I started tipping more since i work in this business, but i still won't tip if i think the service was bad

Rigby

Well there's certainly no way a story like this could be fabricated. I'm glad that everything on the internet is true.

Hum

^ Well the restaurant is real:

http://truefoodkitchen.com/

True Food KitchenFashion Island

451 Newport Center Dr.

Newport Beach, CA 92660

P: 949.***.****

Hours:

Monday ? Thursday: 11 am to 9 pm

Friday: 11 am to 10 pm

Saturday: 10 am to 10 pm; Brunch served until 3 pm

Sunday: 10 am to 9 pm; Brunch served until 3 pm

satukoro

I have tipped two cents several times if the server was rude. But this is just stupid.

Any other time I tip at least 20 percent.

I do the same thing if the waiter or waitress is rude, however I always try to leave a twenty percent tip because I work in a restaurant as a dish washer and I make more (at minimum wage) in a night or two than some of the waitresses make all week.
Klownicle

If i'm waited on, ie; served at a table. I will tip at least 10% in all cases (unless terrible service - ignored); better if needed. If the food is bad but correct I still tip the same amount. Its not the person waiting on you fault. Its the place your eating at. Your tip doesn't usually go into the cooks pocket. If I go into a place and take food to go I do not tip. And last but not least, if there are places with Tip Jars unless it is a home grown side of the road establishment; I rarely will tip. We have some ice cream parlors who almost beg for it. I didn't come here for a dog and pony show. I just want some ice cream.

Just because the food is prepared doesn't demand a tip, nothing togo.

Dan~

Tipping should be banned, luckily it's not something you feel pressured to do here unlike america :)

tsupersonic

I try to tip generously: 10-15% as a minimum (and only one waiter has earned that), but I usually tip 20-25%. The most I have ever tipped was a 100% ($1 order :laugh:)

AJerman

Horrid. If the waiter / waitress or the food is bad then I will not leave a tip.. but either would have to be MEDIOCRE for that to be the case. Any other time I leave 10%, and more if I really enjoyed it (seems we have a different system here in the UK compared to the US for tipping!).

I'm guessing you're talking UK tipping, which we establish is different in the US, so a non-tip could be acceptable, however, I'm curious what bad food has to do with your server? Why would you tip someone who did everything you asked for in a timely fashion poorly because the cook sucks? Just give the person a tip for doing their job properly, and don't go back if the food isn't good.

DClark

Tipping should be banned, luckily it's not something you feel pressured to do here unlike america :)

Minimum wage should be banned. People should be paid their worth, which is why I love tipping. Plus, minimum wage places a barrier for low skilled workers to enter the workforce and learn new skills. Then you have generations of low skilled workers as they cannot attain new skills from their low-skilled parents. They end up making money through petty crime and/or welfare due to these skill barriers. All the while, the intention of minimum wage was to do good. But I don't think virtuosity can be achieved from law (or from anything, for that matter).

+NJ Louch

In England tips are still "expected" in proper restaurants

Expected yes, but not a dictated custom.

AJerman

I don't see it as pressure, and anyone who does is looking at it wrong. Your server is being paid roughly $5-6 less than typical minimum wage. If all servers were paid the standard minimum wage, the cost would just be added to the food prices. So you can either be FORCED to pay them a certain amount, or you can be given the option to pay them based on their service to you. Not really any pressure.

lt8480

Minimum wage should be banned.

With minimum wage gone, lower paid jobs would become even lower... if anything it would encourage people to throw in their jobs and resort to crime. If a job can't be lived on why do it at all?

Expected yes, but not a dictated custom.

I can't work out if thats just a comment / agreement / disagreement... but it'sxactly how it should be in my opinion :)

If its dictated / expected, then I wonder why not just add it to the bill and pay everyone properly - and let the staff get rid of bad employees rather than them leaving because they are broke?

In fact it is becoming increasingly common in the UK with groups for the "tip" to be pre calculated and added unless you deduct it.

Travelar

In England if a tip isn't left, it isn't frowned upon. So why is it in the US? You shouldn't have to or be pressured into leaving a tip ffs!

That being said, there was not need to the horrible comment after.

Because of some ludicrous and arcane law, in the US, waitresses make like $2.00/hr. They depend on tips as their salary.

I never understood the importance of tipping, until I dated a waitress. I was shocked when I saw her $35.00 paycheck (two weeks worth).

SirEvan

In England if a tip isn't left, it isn't frowned upon. So why is it in the US? You shouldn't have to or be pressured into leaving a tip ffs!

That being said, there was not need to the horrible comment after.

In San Francisco, part of your bill charge is for the employees health care :(

nominak

Minimum wage should be banned. People should be paid their worth, which is why I love tipping. Plus, minimum wage places a barrier for low skilled workers to enter the workforce and learn new skills. Then you have generations of low skilled workers as they cannot attain new skills from their low-skilled parents. They end up making money through petty crime and/or welfare due to these skill barriers. All the while, the intention of minimum wage was to do good. But I don't think virtuosity can be achieved from law (or from anything, for that matter).

Wait.. did you just claim that minimum wage... causes crime?

Hum

Wait.. did you just claim that minimum wage... causes crime?

^ I thought drugs cause crime.

Mekun

Because of some ludicrous and arcane law, in the US, waitresses make like $2.00/hr. They depend on tips as their salary.

Sorry to tell you but all waiter/waitress make min wage in my state which is 8.80 an hr. Most people go in to the job thinking its easy money and expect a tip. I work way harder and no one tips me.

Vice

For the zillionth time...

Servers are not paid full minimum wage in the US, and the food is overall much cheaper than you would get in a restaurant in most other countries. A tip is customary and a certain percentage is expected, the idea is that if the server goes out of their way to provide exemplary service, they get a higher tip, and vice versa. I look at it like this: I'd be paying about the same amount for a meal and no tip in another country as I do here in the U.S. with a tip. It also brings the server's paycheck up to about the equivalent of what it would be in another country where they're paid a proper wage.

Plus, it's just a culture thing--you tip in the US. Not understanding the system (as a visitor/tourist) is one thing, but intentionally being a douchebag like this guy is quite another.

Waitresses in the US don't get paid minimum wage? Do you have a source for this because it sounds far fetched for your laws to have a loophole like that which relies on optional donations (which is basically what a tip is) to provide a percentage of an employees pay.

Travelar

Sorry to tell you but all waiter/waitress make min wage in my state which is 8.80 an hr. Most people go in to the job thinking its easy money and expect a tip. I work way harder and no one tips me.

Nice. In Michigan, they don't make even close to minimum wage. Well, my example was from 7 years ago... maybe the laws have gotten better. Either way, it turned me into a tipper.

nominak

^ I thought drugs cause crime.

And here I thought it was just stupid people :p