Insulting 1% Waitress Tip

M_Lyons10

In England if a tip isn't left, it isn't frowned upon. So why is it in the US? You shouldn't have to or be pressured into leaving a tip ffs!

That being said, there was not need to the horrible comment after.

I agree. I tip very well generally, but if I'm treated poorly, why should I have to leave a tip? A couple of years ago here in PA there was a couple of people that were eating at a restaurant where gratuity was automatically added (Which I whole heartedly disagree with). They had to get up and get their own drinks, didn't see the waitress the entire meal, their food arrived cold, etc. So they offered to pay the bill but refused to pay the included tip. They were actually arrested for "theft"...

That said, the comment and everything in this case was completely unnecessary. If you want to leave a bad tip, leave a bad tip, but don't make a douche out of yourself...

Sylar0

Personally I dont see why anyone should tip anyone let alone it be expected or legal! Your paid she should be lucky if she gets one penny. Yes i am part of the 99%

neufuse

So in fact the tip was over 20%.... :)

heck 20% is a ridiculous amount for a tip... I give 10% at most on tips... I mean serisously if a waitress is working say 10 tables and you get oh 2 groups per table per hour at most... say at least 1 person per group... usually 2 or more in a group... even if the average person orders a meal that comes out to $5 thats still $10 an hour plus what ever your wage is... and sometimes you get more then that... heck I've seen waitresses make two to five hundred dollars in a night in tips alone! depending on how busy they are and how many tables they work

neufuse

what's really insulting here is the fact that someone in the "99%" is lieing to push their agenda and I don't mean its insulting to the "1%" I mean its insulting to the average person who is getting fed up with this group

mokthraka

I work at a fastfood place, make minimum wage, and pay for college. I still leave a nice tip. Stop being cheap you greedy *******s(this doesn't apply to countries were tipping isn't normal)

neo1911

In India, people do tip if provided with good service. If they don't tip, the waiter bad mouths the guest in his/her mind and life moves on.

No one bothers with comments

Orange Battery

I must say that I tip out of courtesy but I am starting to wonder why I should continue. Most places now charge so much, the staff are rude and there is no true service. We should only tip when we get excellent custom service, something thats worth paying for.

Southern Patriot

I have tipped two cents several times if the server was rude. But this is just stupid.

Any other time I tip at least 20 percent.

I usually tip around 10 percent for average service, but more for exceptional service. And yes, I've gone as far as to write NONE on the tip line on the credit card slip when I felt that the waiter/waitress was either rude, unhelpful, or had to be repeatedly asked for things that good servers do without even asking (such as refilling drinks, etc.). I've had some "servers" that were so bad though that I left wishing I could give them a negative amount for a tip!

Charisma

I want to point out one thing, again, because it seems to be overlooked in this conversation: eating out in the US, 99% of the time, is a lot cheaper than it is in any other country, at least the ones I have been to (well, in UK and Europe anyway). You can leave a decent tip here and sometimes still not be paying what you would in a restaurant in some other countries without a tip. Except here, you often get better service (I said often, not always! just a general observation based on my experiences!), and more of the money goes directly to the person who did take care of you. I just don't see the problem. Plus, I try to follow societal norms and culture in etiquette situations like that when I am travelling. I would hope for and expect others to do the same within reason when they come here.

• Like 2
Jason S.

I always thought tipping was weird. In Belgium people think it's REALLY weird if you tip a waiter/waitress. You pay the exact amount, and if you pay with a bigger note they just give you the exact amount they have to. As it's been said before, the employers are supposed to pay the staff, not the customers.

in the US, tipping is seen as a gauge for how well the waiter/waitress did. it acts as motivation for the employee and the restaurant.

now, in general, we tip WAY too much in this country. tipping a bar tender b/c he opened a bottle of beer for you is ridiculous, yet we all still do it. believe it or not, youre actually supposed to tip your garbage collectors and mailmen. unbelievable.

I work at a fastfood place, make minimum wage, and pay for college. I still leave a nice tip. Stop being cheap you greedy *******s(this doesn't apply to countries were tipping isn't normal)

it's asinine to leave a 1% tip, but in general, youre tipping based on performance. leaving a "nice tip" for someone that did a sh**ty job doesnt make sense. imo, if youre a sh**ty waiter, i'll tip you 10%. if youre really awesome i'll tip you 20-25%.

Southern Patriot

Tips aren't the norm in Australia so can someone please answer me this. On the credit card slip it has

Total Amount: $123

Tip: ___________

Grand Total: ____________

Signature: J Bloggs

I usually just sign it without filling in Tip/Grand Total because I can see that $123 has already been entered into the Machine and processed.

If I were to enter an amount for tip, how would they process the transaction which has already been entered?

Is it possible for a staff member to fill out the Tip them-self after I have given it back to them and help themselves to extra money?

Should I be crossing this bit out if I don't wish to leave a tip?

It hasn't already been processed, only an initial authorization has been run on the card (to ensure it is valid). The final total is charged when they enter the slip you signed (with the tip, if any) into their system and it is processed (usually in a batch at the end of the night). Yes, it would be possible for someone to do that, but in reality it rarely happens (at least I've never had it happen to me, nor has anyone I know). Most people would notice it when they checked their bank or credit card statement, and bring up the issue with their bank and the restaurant owner, who could then track down and hopefully fire the person who did it.

Rudy

I usually leave 15%, if the service is REALLY good I'll go up from there. Only ONCE in my life I've left nothing at all, well I wanted to leave a bunch of pennies but my wife (then gf) didn't let me do it. We we're seated and our server came to get our orders, we get our drinks everything is great, we finish our drinks and then start wondering where our server is.... (or our food for that matter...), we flagged at least 2 other servers and ask them to go get our server....still nothing... over an hour after we got a drinks we finally spot him at the other end of the restaurant and he brought our food after another 5 mins or so. (at that point we had almost left). When he came over we complained (nicely) and he brushed us off and brought us refills. (This was a sit down rotisserie (Swiss Chalet), so nothing fancy but still :/)

McKay

I understand that some people outside the US may not understand the tipping system in the US, but understand that it's not something considered optional here, though you technically DO still have the option. You are given the option hoping that you aren't a douchebag that will stiff someone, and will tip them accordingly based on their service. Most servers make less than $2.50 an hour, a number that's not even liveable off of. You want to tell them to get another job? Then where is your lazy ass going to get food when you want to go out to eat? 15-20% is considered an acceptable base tip. If service is bad, give them 10%, if service is good, give them 25%, if service is average, give them something in that 15-20% range, however, these people literally cannot survive without your tips. It isn't like in other countries where a tip is a bonus on top of their normal pay. Regardless of how you think it should or shouldn't work, that's the way it works, and it's not a server's fault that it works that way, trust me, they would much prefer to be getting paid a guaranteed "normal" minimum wage, and have tips optional on top, but then people really probably would never tip.

If you can't afford to give the person that took your order, entered it, brought it to you, made sure you had everything you wanted, kept your drinks filled, all while you sat at the table doing nothing but waiting a tip, then you need to stop eating out. If you choose not to by choice, then you are a low life, piece of ****, no two ways about it. If it raises the price too much, complain to the restaurant about their food prices, not to your server doing their job and hoping to get paid from it. This is why large parties typically get gratuity added, because they don't want to chance the fact that their employee is going to sit there for an hour and a half serving 15 people, only to get stiffed.

How about if your job paid you half of your current pay, and said they'd pay you the rest depending on your performance, however, even when you did everything asked of you, they just didn't give you the rest cause they didn't feel like it. Would that be an acceptable situation to you?

It's not the responsibility of the customer to pay the servers wages, it's the duty of the employer. The server gets paid to do a job, and they do it. If the server goes above and beyond what is required of their job, I will go above and beyond their pay and tip them.

Not paying minimum wage is barbaric and backwards, it should be flat-out illegal, who cares if the person may be tipped by customers during the course of their work? That should not factor into how much a person is paid. I'm a technician in the Air Force, last week I prevented a critical Airfield Navigation Aid from failing, which allowed the Jet Fighters to continue flying, which allowed them to take off and fend off a Russian bomber. Should I go about demanding tips from the public for having a part in keeping "their lazy ass" safe?

techbeck

I usually tip around 10 percent for average service, but more for exceptional service. And yes, I've gone as far as to write NONE on the tip line on the credit card slip when I felt that the waiter/waitress was either rude, unhelpful, or had to be repeatedly asked for things that good servers do without even asking (such as refilling drinks, etc.). I've had some "servers" that were so bad though that I left wishing I could give them a negative amount for a tip!

See, I dont like writing NONE or leaving the field blank, or putting a line thru it. Just give the impression that you either forgot, or are a cheap ******. Why I leave 2 cent tips. Tells the person that I didnt forget and makes them think a little. Hopefully :)

AJerman

It's not the responsibility of the customer to pay the servers wages, it's the duty of the employer. The server gets paid to do a job, and they do it. If the server goes above and beyond what is required of their job, I will go above and beyond their pay and tip them.

Not paying minimum wage is barbaric and backwards, it should be flat-out illegal, who cares if the person may be tipped by customers during the course of their work? That should not factor into how much a person is paid. I'm a technician in the Air Force, last week I prevented a critical Airfield Navigation Aid from failing, which allowed the Jet Fighters to continue flying, which allowed them to take off and fend off a Russian bomber. Should I go about demanding tips from the public for having a part in keeping "their lazy ass" safe?

Regardless of where you think the responsibility lies, that's the way it works. If you don't like it, don't eat out. It's not the servers' faults that this is how the system works. Food would simply be a few dollars more expensive if this wasn't the way it worked, this way you have the option of paying your server based on their performance. It's a good system except for the douchebags that want to stiff someone.

And it's not illegal since it's laid out in law what the minimum pay is for a server. It's just not what you agree with. Your analogy to what you do doesn't have any relation because you are already paid a full salary and don't need to get paid more for doing what you were hired to do. Servers get paid a couple of bucks an hour, then the rest of their money is performance based. Their base pay can be considered pay for doing their side work and whatever else they have to do in their day to day that doesn't involve customers. Your tip pays them for their interaction with you. That's how it works, simple as that. You can choose to not tip if you don't feel the server that waited on your deserves at least some kind of money for the work they did, but I wouldn't suggest going back to the same place twice. No one said you have to eat out.

I find bugs in servers that probably run back ends for systems that you find issues in and fix that lets pilots continue to fly. Do I expect a tip? No, because I'm paid a full salary, and finding those issues and fixing them is what I'm paid for. Server pay, however, is incomplete and based on how well you think they did.

etempest

See, I dont like writing NONE or leaving the field blank, or putting a line thru it. Just give the impression that you either forgot, or are a cheap ******. Why I leave 2 cent tips. Tells the person that I didnt forget and makes them think a little. Hopefully :)

If you put tip on the table in cash, just right "table" on the tip line.

Southern Patriot

I see writing "none" in the blank as a more direct acknowledgment of their poor service, just like you putting two cents there, and I see leaving it blank as just not caring to leave one.

Tuishimi

But usually, my view on tipping maps Mr Pinks from Reservoir Dogs :p "You don't tip people at McDonalds, there still serving you food"

MacDonalds doesn't serve anything. They hand you wrapped food in a bag. A waitress is taking orders, should be ensuring that they are correct, checking back with you to see if the meal is fine and if there is anything you need, etc.

Mike Frett

Like others have said it's not the tip that bothers me, it's the snob comment. We need to grab this guy and string him up, and throw dirty dishes at him.

nominak

Like others have said it's not the tip that bothers me, it's the snob comment. We need to grab this guy and string him up, and throw dirty dishes at him.

It was fake. Take a chill pill.

Rohdekill

Personally, I would prefer tipping just be banned. The person waiting on you is doing their job. As with any job, service, performance and expectations are to be met. If you work outside the service industry, you are held to the same set of standards yet receive no bonus for doing your job. Nor are you penalized per mistake. Just pay these people minimum wage and be done with it. Then, if you receive exceptional or poor service, do the same as you would with anyone - let their supervisor/manager know.

PixilEyes

Without the full story I'll withhold judgment.