Insulting 1% Waitress Tip

The rest of the story is yes he left a 1% tip, and then someone else PHOTOSHOPPED in the comments and arrow. The original store copy has been released and it doesn't contain any comments.

http://www.thesmokin...hop-hoax-869032

I tip normally 15%, but several times have left 1-2 cent, and when i was a manager of a Pizza hut, i fired 3 waitresses that had gotten penny tips more then once. It is a signal that they are not doing their job.

• Like 1

In Australia I don't tip at all but when I am in the US or Europe I usually tip 10% to 20% depending on how good the service is. If it is really terrible (and this has only happened once) I don't tip at all. But I don't say anything to them along the lines that this fat banker ***** said, that's just arrogant and rude.

I try to tip generously: 10-15% as a minimum

>

I do 10-15% as well, perhaps more if a small order (a $10 breakfast might get a $3-5 tip) or if a larger group gets fast/great service, but just as fast I'll do 0-5% if the service or attitude isn't up to snuff. One thing that really burns me is if you're in a near empty restaurant and wait forever for the server to bring your food after it's up (big hint: it's not hot, or even warm.)

It's quite possible that the server got what was deserved.

personally if the business bothered to pay it's staff a reasonable hourly rate they wouldn't have to rely on tips to make ends meet, I come from a country that doesn't tip so she would have gotten one from me at all but I certainly wouldn't have been so rude as to write that on the receipt thats just being an AHOLE

MacDonalds doesn't serve anything. They hand you wrapped food in a bag. A waitress is taking orders, should be ensuring that they are correct, checking back with you to see if the meal is fine and if there is anything you need, etc.
Guessing you've never been to McDonalds? Well what you do is give them your order, then they make sure what you asked for is what you get..., there's a McDonalds near me where they come round and ask if everythings good if you eat inside :o So it's exactly the same, yet no one would tip someone at McDonalds....

Pro waiting tip: spend less time on the needy cheap-skates and spend more time attending to people who tip.

And how exactly do you propose they know ahead of time who is who?

Guessing you've never been to McDonalds? Well what you do is give them your order, then they make sure what you asked for is what you get..., there's a McDonalds near me where they come round and ask if everythings good if you eat inside :o So it's exactly the same, yet no one would tip someone at McDonalds....

That is utterly unlike ANY McDonald's I've ever been to in the US, or any other country I've been to for that matter (mostly countries in Asia).

My family is what is known by society as blue collar. I am actually the first one to not continue that tradition actually and "break out" of that label so to speak. Since we have always been in the societal bracket known as lower-middle class, over the years various family members have historically worked jobs that rely heavily on tipping. From my grandmother who was a waitress her entire life, to my very own father who on top of being a truck driver 5 days a week worked a side job on the weekend as a pizza delivery man to make some extra cash when I was a kid to support my family, I have seen first hand the importance a good tip makes.

Whether you agree with the fact or not that employers only pay their workers minimum wage and expect the rest of their salary to be made up of tips, the truth of the matter is it is still just that. A fact. It is not the employees choice that the system is what it is. Until this fact changes, it is indeed what it is. So if you are an American and do not tip, I personally have zero respect for you. I always tip at least 20%. In the rare circumstance I have bad service, I still tip no less than 10%.

• Like 2

It really bothers me when I hear how restaurants force their servers to pool their tips together and then distribute them evenly. The tip should be shared with the greeters and the bussers (if they rely on tips as well). But if my server did an exceptional job that deserves a great tip, then that is what THEY earned not their co-workers.

It really bothers me when I hear how restaurants force their servers to pool their tips together and then distribute them evenly. The tip should be shared with the greeters and the bussers (if they rely on tips as well). But if my server did an exceptional job that deserves a great tip, then that is what THEY earned not their co-workers.

I've worked for one restaurant where the tips were pooled, and there the bus boys (which is what I was) did get a small percentage of the tips because the management saw our job as being critical to good customer service (no one wants to be seated at a poorly cleaned table). The only other restaurant I've worked at didn't pool tips, and the bus boys didn't get any tips unless the customer specifically gave us one (which wasn't often), or a waitress felt we deserved one (which was even rarer). I still think the idea of pooling the tips is unfair to the servers who actually go out of their way to do a good job.

this is just evidence of the need to remove tips from the dining experience.

I disagree because if that were the case all that servers would get is minimum wage. I know a lot of servers that make much more than minimum wage because of tips.

i get minimum wage and i don't get tips, don't see why waiters & waitresses should be any different, not saying that they shouldn't get tips just that it shouldn't be mandatory is all ...

anywho ... love this film ha ... oh and that banker was a douche

They left 20% total tip. Most was cash and some was on the credit card. The whole story was a HOAX, and almost everyone fell for it. just get over it and understand that this is the internet, and there are plenty of suckers out there, and this time if you believed the story then you were one of them.

And how exactly do you propose they know ahead of time who is who?

A server has more than one interaction with a customer. You stereotype them. Rude and needy customers are bad tippers and it doesn't take many interactions to with them to figure out if they are rude or needy.

A server has more than one interaction with a customer. You stereotype them. Rude and needy customers are bad tippers and it doesn't take many interactions to with them to figure out if they are rude or needy.

Huh? Who exactly am I stereotyping? A server working in a restaurant is unlikely to ever see the same customers more than once or twice over the course of the time they are working there, unless they happen to work in a smaller restaurant or one in a small town with few other people visiting the area. How exactly is that server supposed to know who the good tippers and the bad tippers are? My wife and I go out to eat maybe once or twice a week, only only at the same restaurant maybe once a month, if that. We have rarely had the same server more than once, and even if we did, it is doubtful if he or she would remember us among the hundreds of people they wait on in a given week.

Huh? Who exactly am I stereotyping?

Not you. The server. The server should stereotype their customers' behaviors for better odds on making more money overall.

A server working in a restaurant is unlikely to ever see the same customers more than once or twice over the course of the time they are working there, unless they happen to work in a smaller restaurant or one in a small town with few other people visiting the area. How exactly is that server supposed to know who the good tippers and the bad tippers are?

They interact with the customer multiple times per visit. You can determine a lot from your first and second interaction.