'Edible forest' sprouts in Seattle

So the very first thing that ran through my mind upon hearing about an "edible forest" was Willy Wonka. Tall timbers made of delicious dark chocolate. Crunchy, sweet. Unending. Visions of Augustus Gloop leaning just a bit too far into a river made of cocoa...

Could it be true? We've finally achieved streams of chocolate? And, I imagine, flowers and leaves as well? Yes!!!

No.

But! The edible forest that is becoming a reality is a marvelous idea in its own right.

A 7-acre urban garden will soon sprout right in the middle of a Seattle neighborhood, bursting with all sorts of food-baring trees and bushes. And now for the very best part: It will all be free and open to the public, who can come and pick all they want -- like a living, breathing extension of a supermarket aisle.

?This is totally innovative, and has never been done before in a public park,? said the project's lead architect, Margarett Harrison.

So what sorts of goodies can you stock up on without taking out your wallet? Kind of everything. Take Part reports that the free food forest will include, "walnut and chestnut trees; blueberry and raspberry bushes; fruit trees, including apples and pears; exotics like pineapple, yuzu citrus, guava, persimmons, honeyberries, and lingonberries; herbs; and more."

Ground-breaking for the edible forest is set for this summer. And it really is open to anyone, no matter how hungry -- or greedy -- they are.

more & video

Oh boy, no limits to what you can pick? I already sense this will go really badly. Great idea, but when you put no limits on stuff like this, human beings will find a way to screw it up for everyone else.

Oh boy, no limits to what you can pick? I already sense this will go really badly. Great idea, but when you put no limits on stuff like this, human beings will find a way to screw it up for everyone else.

True. I think the food will end up being sold at a farmer's market or on the street.

I sense failure.... i give it one harvest before people start getting mad and saying certain people should be there... then protests... then riots... I can see it happening...