Windows 8 download link revealed

Hey guys, I didn't find an existing post or news entry about this, so I thought I'd share it with you.

I'm a subscriber to Microsoft TechNet, and I received an e-mail a few days back regarding the location of the Windows 8 download link when it arrives.

Here's a screenshot of the e-mail (it's in Danish, sorry): http://i.imgur.com/5g6aq.png

And this is the link: http://click.email.m...61d5aca25c18d11

For now, it just links to the TechNet evaluation center, but I guess that's where the download link will truly be. Time to get some browser extensions to look for page changes on that site all day, or for manual users to hit F5 until it arrives!

Edit

Here's an addon for Chrome which notifies you when a page has changed. Might come in handy. https://chrome.googl...benbfclihhmmfcd. However, for the add-on to work properly, you need to right-click its icon, and adjust the refresh rate from 3 hours to 5 seconds or similar.

What do you think Neobond - shouldn't this link be posted in the Windows 8 news post regarding today's download as an edit?

Nope, Microsoft hates it when we reveal this sort of things on the front page.

Nope, Microsoft hates it when we reveal this sort of things on the front page.

But they sent it to me, as a public TechNet Flash subscriber here in Denmark. It requires nothing but interest in IT to be such a subscriber. No financial stuff involved.

It's a 100% public e-mail. Several hundreds of thousand others have received it too. I just think it'd be a good idea. I'm sure they don't mind.

Edit

Here's a link for the newsletter: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/cc543196.aspx

But they sent it to me, as a public TechNet Flash subscriber here in Denmark. It requires nothing but interest in IT to be such a subscriber. No financial stuff involved.

It's a 100% public e-mail. Several hundreds of thousand others have received it too. I just think it'd be a good idea. I'm sure they don't mind.

Edit

Here's a link for the newsletter: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/cc543196.aspx

Plus one.

Edit

Here's a link for the newsletter: http://technet.micro...s/cc543196.aspx

Oh right, I'll edit the post then. Thanks :)

the second link throw me at the home page of technet *puzzleface*

For now, it just links to the TechNet evaluation center, but I guess that's where the download link will truly be. Time to get some browser extensions to look for page changes on that site all day, or for manual users to hit F5 until it arrives!

I already mentioned it as you can see.

Microsoft will release the customer preview for everyone who is interested in trying it out but anyone who who do not have a subscription with TechNet that can not get Windows 8. So TechNet subscribers will go to TechNet while people including me will go to Windows 8 page once it goes live in the morning to download Windows 8.

Microsoft will place the download links in TechNet and Windows 8 page.

Microsoft will release the customer preview for everyone who is interested in trying it out but anyone who who do not have a subscription with TechNet that can not get Windows 8. So TechNet subscribers will go to TechNet while people including me will go to Windows 8 page once it goes live in the morning to download Windows 8.

Microsoft will place the download links in TechNet and Windows 8 page.

TechNet is open, free and public. It requires a Live ID to use it and get all its downloads, nothing more. What you're thinking about is a MSDN subscription such as BizSpark, DreamSpark or anything similar. For your record, TechNet was where the Windows 7 beta was downloaded from as well. There was no other location.

TechNet is open, free and public. It requires a Live ID to use it and get all its downloads, nothing more. What you're thinking about is a MSDN subscription such as BizSpark, DreamSpark or anything similar. For your record, TechNet was where the Windows 7 beta was downloaded from as well. There was no other location.

You ok? Have you been smoking?

Not all of downloads are free. If you want to download retail version of Windows, you need to buy a subscription in order to download a copy of Windows ... such as Windows 7, Windows XP, etc. The free version of dowloads are: toolkits, service packs, whatever they are having on there for us to use with.

I am saying is that Microsoft will release the download links (such as preview versions) on that page and other pages even for other people who do not want to signup for a Live ID.

MSDN is the developer network for Visual Studio and sample scriptlets, something like that. Of course, the retail versions will be placed on there as long as you are a paid subscriber depends on subscription type you choose.

I have TechNet subscription with them and I used to be with MSDN for awhile but not anymore. I used to be a software programmer while back. Now I am designing websites and into the photography.

I got a copy of Windows 7 beta from Microsoft page instead of TechNet... I remembered where I got it from.

You were expecting that Microsoft to show Win8 CP on that page, nothing else...

TechNet is open, free and public. It requires a Live ID to use it and get all its downloads, nothing more.

Wrong.

Only the Technet Evaluation Center is free for downloading software, requiring only a Windows Live ID.

As another poster said, the Technet Evaluation Center contains only toolkits, service packs, and time

limited trial versions of some larger Microsoft software packages such as Windows itself.

To get the full and complete range of downloads from Technet requires a paid subscription which

currently costs ?200-300 to sign up to (depending on which subscription type you go for, and if

you have a valid discount code). After that, it's slightly less per year to renew a subscription.

I'll be renewing my current subscription at a cost of ?202.19 in 3 weeks time.

The Windows 8 Consumer is likely to be available free for all on the Technet Evaluation Center.

That is only partly correct. TechNet does have subscriptions which cost money. If you pay, then you have access to nearly all Microsoft software.