Raspberry-Pi sells out in minutes

The diminutive, and powerful credit card sized computer aimed at trying to get Children to once again embrace coding went on sale this morning, at 6AM (GMT), and sold out; breaking the websites of both Farnell, and RS, who together are retailing the device.

Read more here: http://blog.gadgethelpline.com/raspberry-pi-22-mini-computer-sells-seconds-crashes-website/

I'm waiting for the second generation of these so they can work out the kinks. Ideally, I'll then be able to hook it up to an ethernet and an external HD, using it to download stuff while I'm asleep, hopefully saving my power bill :D

• Like 4

I want one. :(

Are they just going to be open circuit boards, or are they going to be encased in a plastic shell?

To start with they are just open boards, there will be cases available at a later date, and possibly some third party ones might show up as well.

I'm waiting for the second generation of these so they can work out the kinks. Ideally, I'll then be able to hook it up to an ethernet and an external HD, using it to download stuff while I'm asleep, hopefully saving my power bill :D

These are the second generation :p

Why would they ? This is not OLPC

The whole point of the project was to create something cheap for students to learn how to program on. Hopefully they sell them all and can use the money to build up their supply lines and accomplish that, but considering the current models are selling with almost no profit, I don't see it happening.

and programmers/students are children since when ?

Like, elementary school students. I learned BASIC when I was a kid, the goal of the project was to bring that back to a current generation of students.

I hope it does. Not sure though I think one of the problems now is that is just not as accessible before. ( IDE etc...)

As a child there was much fun in writing things like this to leave for my younger brother. Ah I had a razor sharp wit then.

10 PRINT "William smells of poo!"

20 GOTO 10

and it grew from there. Even expanded to the stage where some of my current coding isn't ways to insult him.

Should be but they will still have to jump through more hoops than I used to have to to insult family members. I don't think the problem is access to hardware or languages it is getting kids to engage.

Since it was right there and I could try it instead of typing run "" (I think it was) I could make things happen by typing other things. Straight away I was interested in trying that out and seeing what I could do.