Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

pack34

Connected it to my domain. I hope this isn't what business users will see upon final release because it is awful. The lack of start menu is frustrating. The inability to open a run dialog really oiks me and I have yet to figure out why open in cmd prompt or Windows Powershell are greyed out? Definitely sticking with Windows 7 if this 'Start Screen' is the only way of doing things because it misses most advanced options with seemingly no way to add them back for the sake of some colourful little tiles that take up valuable screen space. I think it would be great on a tablet PC and look forward to using Win8 on one, but on a desktop this is dreadful. Microsoft could at least give us the option - it should be automatic!

win + r still works fine

Ci7

Just checked the Windows Experience Index, and the damn things goes to 9.9 now. I wonder what kind of beast of a system one would need to get that 9.9. :laugh:

you would need

core i7 8+ cores

DDR4 3000+ mhz 32GB

1024GB+ SSD (PCIe variant perhaps) SATA3

AMD Redeon HD 9990 8GB buffer memory

:laugh: :rofl:

*realizing would never bet the score*

MSFT

post-254628-0-70303000-1330539649.jpg

/JK ;)

Rigby

What exactly does the old start menu do that the new start screen doesn't

In both you can pin your most used applications. With the new start screen you can see more applications at once and they can convey information.

In both you can search for the application you want qucikly and easily

In both you can view a large list of all of your installed applications. With the new start screen you can see more on your screen at once.

A huge start screen taking over your entire desktop is stupid. It covers up all your running programs and is a huge waste of space. On a tablet it makes sense, on a desktop it does not. I do not want or need a 22" 1920x1080 start menu with giant tiles.

Colin McGregor

win + r still works fine

or right click where the start button used to be and hit run

George P

Has anyone tried right clicking the bottom left corner? THANK YOU MICROSOFT!

These are all the shortcuts that I commonly use run for. I started using run for them even more now that the start menu is gone, but then I discovered this little menu. It's so awesome.

Nice find, and it works in the start screen and in the desktop. People need to keep in mind that this isn't even done, as they said, it's just another step for the UI. The RC will be the final form but so far with the above right click menu and the new task switcher and use of the corners (something the new GNOME 3 does a lot of) they've made it very usable with a mouse imo.

BTW, it seems the vbox guest add-ons installed fine (v4.1.8) Now to see if I can get my native screen res going.

Roger H.

win + r still works fine

So does clicking the windows key or start and type "Run" and press enter. NO mouse even needed! :rolleyes:

Ci7

So, I'm half way through setting up my machine, and IE10 Immersive has stopped working. It stopped working after I installed Firefox, can anyone help me?

uninstall and reinstall firefox

heard that from another related thread

don't quote me for this

Tharp Daddy

Anyone have a clue how to pin skydrive as a folder in windows explorer, much how like dropbox automatically does?

+warwagon

How do you tell the computer restart? the best I found so far is clicking on the metro and drop down my picture and choose log off. I'm thinking I can restart once I log off, but I don't want to do that. How can I tell the computer to restart as easily as I could in Windows 7?

Ci7

A huge start screen taking over your entire desktop is stupid. It covers up all your running programs and is a huge waste of space. On a tablet it makes sense, on a desktop it does not. I do not want or need a 22" 1920x1080 start menu with giant tiles.

go and design windows yourself , those engineers and designers at microsoft are mindless drones :rolleyes:

Dot Matrix

uninstall and reinstall firefox

heard that from another related thread

don't quote me for this

Didn't work. :/

I'm currently, "refreshing" my PC, which is now stuck itself.

This *is* a stable build.... right?

XerXis

How do you tell the computer restart? the best I found so far is clicking on the metro and drop down my picture and choose log off. I'm thinking I can restart once I log off, but I don't want to do that. How can I tell the computer to restart as easily as I could in Windows 7?

alt-f4 on an empty desktop?

a1ien

Well the CP confirms my fears. Microsoft has crippled the desktop. This is a disaster.

For sure I can stick to Windows 7, but I want the explorer and other technology enhancements in Windows 8.

I really hope they make the desktop usable by RTM. At this point, it would take a full, functional Windows 7 style start menu to make that happen.

I also agree with the 'overall' comments at the bottom here: http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/29/microsoft-windows-8-consumer-preview-detailed-impressions/

The full screen apps are... idiotic on a 30" screen. They would do well on 1/4 of it like I would size a window.

BajiRav

settings charm

techguy77

Switch to Desktop and try Alt + F4 and see if you get popup with options to shut down, restart etc.

+warwagon

settings charm

Thanks.

Once again Microsoft is turning what use to be simple tasks into tasks which take make more mouse clicks to complete than they did before.

Switch to Desktop and try Alt + F4 and see if you get popup with options to shut down, restart etc.

Thanks, now how about something simple of the average user?

Ci7

Didn't work. :/

I'm currently, "refreshing" my PC, which is now stuck itself.

This *is* a stable build.... right?

sorry to hear that

as for the build itself , technically speaking it won't be stable until it reach Release candidate stage

Steven P.

Not a fan :/ Back in Windows 7 atm but will give it another go tomorrow. I hate that they have crippled the desktop and assumed everyone is going to be using a touchscreen.

• Like 1
+warwagon

The problem with the average user is they have a hard time locating and clicking on a physical button right in front of their face, let alone hidden ones that are hidden that require them to touch the side of the screen to activate. Anyone who has ever done phone support knows this.

BetaAddict

Just to see if I got this right... there is no option to install the ISO to a new partition without burning or through usb?

Can someone please confirm or deny this? My 2 hour download is almost done. Trying to decide what method I will need to use to get it to dual boot.

Guest glyfz

Still not a fan, will be fine as a tablet/touch screen OS but don't see the advantages for a desktop OS. Removing the start button on the desktop is silly, not obvious how you go back to the start screen (I know but it's not obvious). Plenty of things are simply more fiddly than before if you're using a keyboard and mouse. The live tiles are nice but not really a big step forward over desktop gadgets.

Managed to crash VMWare by loading Metro IE10 and clicking yes to the do you want daily pics question, not a big deal but first time I've ever had Workstation crash.

Actually doing anything in IE10 kills vmware

Edited by glyfz
  • Like 1
nominak

Connected it to my domain. I hope this isn't what business users will see upon final release because it is awful. The lack of start menu is frustrating. The inability to open a run dialog really oiks me and I have yet to figure out why open in cmd prompt or Windows Powershell are greyed out? Definitely sticking with Windows 7 if this 'Start Screen' is the only way of doing things because it misses most advanced options with seemingly no way to add them back for the sake of some colourful little tiles that take up valuable screen space. I think it would be great on a tablet PC and look forward to using Win8 on one, but on a desktop this is dreadful. Microsoft could at least give us the option - it should be automatic!

Can't you just type from the Metro Menu to get to apps?

techguy77

Well the CP confirms my fears. Microsoft has crippled the desktop. This is a disaster.

For sure I can stick to Windows 7, but I want the explorer and other technology enhancements in Windows 8.

I really hope they make the desktop usable by RTM. At this point, it would take a full, functional Windows 7 style start menu to make that happen.

I also agree with the 'overall' comments at the bottom here: http://www.engadget....ed-impressions/

The full screen apps are... idiotic on a 30" screen. They would do well on 1/4 of it like I would size a window.

I knew all this time. People were telling me how can you claim this or that and also CP is not same as DP. People do not understand that what they see in pre beta is pretty much going to be final release. They might be few visual tweaks here and there but that's about it. Most of the work is on back end.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      2020 Holiday Gift Guide: Laptops
      by Rich Woods

It's time for more holiday gift guides, and this one will be focusing on Windows 10 PCs. After all, many are working from home this year, so a new laptop might just be the perfect gift. Of course, when it comes to laptops, there are a lot to choose from. Here are some ideas.

HP Spectre x360
      Convertible, pen support, ultrabook or more powerful form factors

HP's Spectre x360 is one of our favorite convertibles on the market. It has a stunning two-tone design, narrow bezels on all sides without compromising an IR camera, and B&O speakers. It comes with Intel's Ice Lake processors, Iris Plus Graphics, and an optional 4K OLED display.

The 13-inch model is great for the average user, but for someone that needs more power for editing photos and such, take a look at the 15-inch model that has a 45W processor and dedicated graphics. You can check out our review here.

Microsoft Surface Pro X
      Tablet, ultra-portable, always-connected, battery life, pen support

The Surface Pro X is Microsoft's own Windows on ARM PC, using a custom SKU of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx. With its ARM chip, it's always connected with cellular connectivity, it gets better battery life, and it has instant-wake. It's also thinner with a fanless design, and it's quite stylish. It's a fantastic PC to take on the go.

It starts at $999, although there are some solid deals where you can get over $100 off. The base model comes with a Microsoft SQ1 processor, although the higher-end ones come with the newer SQ2 and have a Platinum color option, instead of just black. you can check out our review here.

Dell XPS
      Clamshell, premium, ultrabook to super-powerful

Dell's XPS lineup comes in 13-, 15-, and 17-inch sizes, and the amount of power you get from them is respective to the size. The 13-inch model comes with Intel's Tiger Lake processors, Iris Xe graphics, and Thunderbolt 4. Meanwhile, the XPS 17 has a 45W processor and Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 graphics.

All of them are known for their slim bezels and stylish designs. Even with the InfinityEdge displays, they still maintain the webcam and IR camera on top. You can check out our reviews for the XPS 13, XPS 15, and XPS 17. You can check out the products here, here, and here, respectively.

Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 7
      Clamshell, mainstream, balance of power and portability

Lenovo's IdeaPad Slim 7 is more for the mainstream category than the premium devices above, but it packs a punch. It has AMD's Ryzen 7 4800U processor, which not only has eight cores and 16 threads, but the TDP has been jacked up to 25W for some of the best performance that you'll find in a thin and light ultrabook. It's a nice combination between power and portability.

You can check out our review here. This laptop actually isn't available anymore, but the product link is here. I asked PR if it's coming back and it seems to be a possibility, so in other words, I'm leaving it on the list because the product is so good that if you can find it, you should definitely grab it.

HP Envy x360
      Convertible, mainstream, pen support

At $799.99, HP's Envy x360 13 is a great high-end PC that doesn't break the bank. It's got AMD's Ryzen 4000 processors, a 13.3-inch FHD display, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD. It comes in a stylish Nightfall Black color, and frankly, has an excellent keyboard.

We gave it a 9.5 in our review, and you can check it out here.

Microsoft Surface Laptop Go
      Clamshell, budget, thin and light

Microsoft's Surface Laptop Go is the newest PC from the Redmond firm, and it starts at just $549. It comes in colors like Sandstone, Ice Blue, and Platinum, and unlike the Surface Go 2, the Surface Laptop Go has a full Core i5 processor. It has a fingerprint sensor instead of an IR camera and is missing a backlit keyboard, but it definitely looks and feels premium.

You can check out the review here and the product here.

HP Pavilion x360 14
      Convertible, budget, always-connected

HP's Pavilion x360 14 made some weird compromises, such as not offering any Windows Hello, having a dim display, and not having a backlit keyboard, but it also offered some solid value propositions. Along with solid performance and excellent value, this $699 PC offers 4G LTE. It's probably the most inexpensive Intel-powered PC to have cellular connectivity.

You can check out the review here, and the product here.

Lenovo Legion 7i
      Gaming laptop, high-end, powerful

Lenovo's Legion laptops offer a subtle design that makes them stylish for work, but powerful enough for play. The Legion 7i is the premium one that has more powerful configurations and RGB lighting, although for more of a budget gaming laptop, check out the Legion 5 or Legion 5i. I like to think of it like the Legion 5 series is more about a work PC that can play games, and the Legion 7 series is about being a gaming PC that's also great at productivity.

You can check out our reviews of the Legion 7i, Legion 5i, and Legion 5, you can find the products here, here, and here, respectively.

• By Copernic
      Sysinternals Suite 2020.11.25
      by Razvan Serea

The Sysinternals Troubleshooting Utilities have been rolled up into a single Suite of tools. This file contains the individual troubleshooting tools and help files. It does not contain non-troubleshooting tools like the BSOD Screen Saver or NotMyFault. The Sysinternals Suite is a bundle of several Sysinternals Utilies like AccessChk, Autologon, Ctrl2Cap, DiskView, Disk Usage (DU), LogonSessions, PageDefrag, ProcessExplorer, PsLogList, PsPasswd, RegMon, RootkitRevealer, TCPView, VMMap, ZoomIt.

Sysinternals Suite 2020.11.25 changelog:

Sysmon v12.03 - This version of Sysmon fixes reporting and a possible crash condition for PipeEvent and RegistryEvent rules. SDelete v2.04 - This update to SDelete, a command line utility for secure file deletion, provides a new switch, -f, to to avoid file/directory versus drive ambiguity. WinObj v2.23 - This update to WinObj, a utility to explore the Windows NT Object Manager's namespace, brings bug fixes and is now available for x64 and ARM64. ARM64 ports - New ARM64 releases for ADRestore v1.2, LogonSessions v1.41 and WinObj v2.23. Download all ARM64 tools in a single download with the Sysinternals Suite for ARM64. Download: Sysinternals Suite 2020.11.25 | 37.6 MB (Freeware)
      Link: Sysinternals Suite Home Page

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By eRajesh
      Samsung Galaxy S10 One UI 3 public beta program now live
      by Rajesh Pandey

Samsung has started the One UI 3 and Android 11 beta program for the Galaxy S10 series (via SamMobile). The company has already been running the One UI 3.0 beta program for the Galaxy S20 and Note20 series for the last few weeks. It had also launched the beta program for the Galaxy Z Flip but had to pull the initial firmware due to high battery drain issues.

For now, Samsung has launched the One UI 3 beta program for the Galaxy S10e, Galaxy S10, and Galaxy S10+ in India, South Korea, and the United Kingdom, though there's a possibility that the program is expanded to more regions within the next day or two.

You can check if the One UI 3 beta program for the Galaxy S10 series is available in your region or not and then join the program using the Samsung Members app.

Samsung has been aggressively rolling out One UI 3 beta firmware builds for the Galaxy S20 and Note20 series signaling that a stable rollout is around the corner. For the Galaxy S10 series, the One UI 3 update is expected to hit the stable channel by the end of this year or early next year.

One UI 3 is based on Android 11 and comes with a number of UI changes including a streamlined Settings menu, updated Phone app, revamped notification shade, and more. You can read more about One UI 3 features here.

Source: Reddit

• By Jefferson Mangubat
      Microsoft Office edit support comes to Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides for iOS
      by Jefferson Mangubat

Google has rolled out native editing support for Microsoft Office files on Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides for iOS. The company announced the latest change today, available now for all users with both personal and enterprise accounts.

The new update allows you to edit, comment, and collaborate on Office files in Docs, Sheets, and Slides on your iPhone or iPad. Google says the feature "brings the collaborative and assistive features of Google Workspace to your Microsoft Office files” for iOS users. That means you no longer have to download and email file attachments like before. Prior to this change, you would need to convert an Office file into a format that's compatible with Docs, Sheets, or Slides in order to edit it on your iOS device, making that task cumbersome.

Office editing support was previously introduced to Docs, Sheets, and Slides for Android in September. The same functionality was rolled out on the web last year. Just like its Android release, today's update gives you access to new improvements to sharing options and controls. The new capability also replaces the previous Office Compatibility Mode (Quickoffice), which only had basic functions.

• By Abhay V
      Flight Simulator's second World Update brings visual updates to the U.S.
      by Abhay Venkatesh

After delivering the first World Update in September that brought improvements to the scenery and airports in Japan, Microsoft’s second Flight Simulator content drop this time focuses on the U.S.A, just in time for the holidays. World Update II: USA is now rolling out as a free update to Xbox Game Pass for PC, Windows 10, and Steam users. The update also fixes a bunch of bugs and other known issues.

The update brings improved elevation maps for terrain, resolution improvements “up to one meter”, aerial texture enhancements for better appearance, and four new “hand-crafted airports”, says the firm. These airports include Atlanta (KATL), Dallas/Fort Worth (KDFW), Friday Harbor (KFHR), and New York Stewart (KSWF).

The firm has also improved the visuals of 48 other airports and has added 50 new “points of interest” – areas with enhanced visuals. Some of these include the White House, Washington Monument, Capitol, Hoover Dam, Las Vegas Strip, and more. You can head to the release notes here to view the entire list.

Additionally, the update also brings a new Bush Trip “across the Alaskan wilderness” and a Discovery Flight through iconic east coast locations. The firm notes that users will have to head to the Marketplace to claim the World Update after downloading the latest patch for the simulator.

As for the list of fixes, patch version 1.11.6.0 brings with it a bunch of fixes for airplanes such as remedies for the fuel consumption issue on the Boeing 747-8 and the A320neo. Other elements such as the UI, activity logs, input devices have also received improvements.

Here is the complete changelog:

Overall, the updates to performance and the improved visuals for the locations in the U.S. bring with it welcome additions right in time for the holiday weekend, especially with the pandemic forcing more people indoors.