Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

pack34

Connected it to my domain. I hope this isn't what business users will see upon final release because it is awful. The lack of start menu is frustrating. The inability to open a run dialog really oiks me and I have yet to figure out why open in cmd prompt or Windows Powershell are greyed out? Definitely sticking with Windows 7 if this 'Start Screen' is the only way of doing things because it misses most advanced options with seemingly no way to add them back for the sake of some colourful little tiles that take up valuable screen space. I think it would be great on a tablet PC and look forward to using Win8 on one, but on a desktop this is dreadful. Microsoft could at least give us the option - it should be automatic!

win + r still works fine

Ci7

Just checked the Windows Experience Index, and the damn things goes to 9.9 now. I wonder what kind of beast of a system one would need to get that 9.9. :laugh:

you would need

core i7 8+ cores

DDR4 3000+ mhz 32GB

1024GB+ SSD (PCIe variant perhaps) SATA3

AMD Redeon HD 9990 8GB buffer memory

:laugh: :rofl:

*realizing would never bet the score*

MSFT

post-254628-0-70303000-1330539649.jpg

/JK ;)

Rigby

What exactly does the old start menu do that the new start screen doesn't

In both you can pin your most used applications. With the new start screen you can see more applications at once and they can convey information.

In both you can search for the application you want qucikly and easily

In both you can view a large list of all of your installed applications. With the new start screen you can see more on your screen at once.

A huge start screen taking over your entire desktop is stupid. It covers up all your running programs and is a huge waste of space. On a tablet it makes sense, on a desktop it does not. I do not want or need a 22" 1920x1080 start menu with giant tiles.

Colin McGregor

win + r still works fine

or right click where the start button used to be and hit run

George P

Has anyone tried right clicking the bottom left corner? THANK YOU MICROSOFT!

These are all the shortcuts that I commonly use run for. I started using run for them even more now that the start menu is gone, but then I discovered this little menu. It's so awesome.

Nice find, and it works in the start screen and in the desktop. People need to keep in mind that this isn't even done, as they said, it's just another step for the UI. The RC will be the final form but so far with the above right click menu and the new task switcher and use of the corners (something the new GNOME 3 does a lot of) they've made it very usable with a mouse imo.

BTW, it seems the vbox guest add-ons installed fine (v4.1.8) Now to see if I can get my native screen res going.

Roger H.

win + r still works fine

So does clicking the windows key or start and type "Run" and press enter. NO mouse even needed! :rolleyes:

Ci7

So, I'm half way through setting up my machine, and IE10 Immersive has stopped working. It stopped working after I installed Firefox, can anyone help me?

uninstall and reinstall firefox

heard that from another related thread

don't quote me for this

Tharp Daddy

Anyone have a clue how to pin skydrive as a folder in windows explorer, much how like dropbox automatically does?

+warwagon

How do you tell the computer restart? the best I found so far is clicking on the metro and drop down my picture and choose log off. I'm thinking I can restart once I log off, but I don't want to do that. How can I tell the computer to restart as easily as I could in Windows 7?

Ci7

A huge start screen taking over your entire desktop is stupid. It covers up all your running programs and is a huge waste of space. On a tablet it makes sense, on a desktop it does not. I do not want or need a 22" 1920x1080 start menu with giant tiles.

go and design windows yourself , those engineers and designers at microsoft are mindless drones :rolleyes:

Dot Matrix

uninstall and reinstall firefox

heard that from another related thread

don't quote me for this

Didn't work. :/

I'm currently, "refreshing" my PC, which is now stuck itself.

This *is* a stable build.... right?

XerXis

How do you tell the computer restart? the best I found so far is clicking on the metro and drop down my picture and choose log off. I'm thinking I can restart once I log off, but I don't want to do that. How can I tell the computer to restart as easily as I could in Windows 7?

alt-f4 on an empty desktop?

a1ien

Well the CP confirms my fears. Microsoft has crippled the desktop. This is a disaster.

For sure I can stick to Windows 7, but I want the explorer and other technology enhancements in Windows 8.

I really hope they make the desktop usable by RTM. At this point, it would take a full, functional Windows 7 style start menu to make that happen.

I also agree with the 'overall' comments at the bottom here: http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/29/microsoft-windows-8-consumer-preview-detailed-impressions/

The full screen apps are... idiotic on a 30" screen. They would do well on 1/4 of it like I would size a window.

BajiRav

settings charm

techguy77

Switch to Desktop and try Alt + F4 and see if you get popup with options to shut down, restart etc.

+warwagon

settings charm

Thanks.

Once again Microsoft is turning what use to be simple tasks into tasks which take make more mouse clicks to complete than they did before.

Switch to Desktop and try Alt + F4 and see if you get popup with options to shut down, restart etc.

Thanks, now how about something simple of the average user?

Ci7

Didn't work. :/

I'm currently, "refreshing" my PC, which is now stuck itself.

This *is* a stable build.... right?

sorry to hear that

as for the build itself , technically speaking it won't be stable until it reach Release candidate stage

Steven P.

Not a fan :/ Back in Windows 7 atm but will give it another go tomorrow. I hate that they have crippled the desktop and assumed everyone is going to be using a touchscreen.

• Like 1
+warwagon

The problem with the average user is they have a hard time locating and clicking on a physical button right in front of their face, let alone hidden ones that are hidden that require them to touch the side of the screen to activate. Anyone who has ever done phone support knows this.

BetaAddict

Just to see if I got this right... there is no option to install the ISO to a new partition without burning or through usb?

Can someone please confirm or deny this? My 2 hour download is almost done. Trying to decide what method I will need to use to get it to dual boot.

Guest glyfz

Still not a fan, will be fine as a tablet/touch screen OS but don't see the advantages for a desktop OS. Removing the start button on the desktop is silly, not obvious how you go back to the start screen (I know but it's not obvious). Plenty of things are simply more fiddly than before if you're using a keyboard and mouse. The live tiles are nice but not really a big step forward over desktop gadgets.

Managed to crash VMWare by loading Metro IE10 and clicking yes to the do you want daily pics question, not a big deal but first time I've ever had Workstation crash.

Actually doing anything in IE10 kills vmware

Edited by glyfz
  • Like 1
nominak

Connected it to my domain. I hope this isn't what business users will see upon final release because it is awful. The lack of start menu is frustrating. The inability to open a run dialog really oiks me and I have yet to figure out why open in cmd prompt or Windows Powershell are greyed out? Definitely sticking with Windows 7 if this 'Start Screen' is the only way of doing things because it misses most advanced options with seemingly no way to add them back for the sake of some colourful little tiles that take up valuable screen space. I think it would be great on a tablet PC and look forward to using Win8 on one, but on a desktop this is dreadful. Microsoft could at least give us the option - it should be automatic!

Can't you just type from the Metro Menu to get to apps?

techguy77

Well the CP confirms my fears. Microsoft has crippled the desktop. This is a disaster.

For sure I can stick to Windows 7, but I want the explorer and other technology enhancements in Windows 8.

I really hope they make the desktop usable by RTM. At this point, it would take a full, functional Windows 7 style start menu to make that happen.

I also agree with the 'overall' comments at the bottom here: http://www.engadget....ed-impressions/

The full screen apps are... idiotic on a 30" screen. They would do well on 1/4 of it like I would size a window.

I knew all this time. People were telling me how can you claim this or that and also CP is not same as DP. People do not understand that what they see in pre beta is pretty much going to be final release. They might be few visual tweaks here and there but that's about it. Most of the work is on back end.