Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

Roger H.

My download is done, installing!

Ice_Blue

I hope the first person to get it up and running posts some screenshots.

They will also be the first on Neowin to have the CP

They will deserve a beer.

Muhammad Farrukh

I guess, with touch-screens, you just swipe your finger downwards

Matthew_Thepc

Microsoft provides a Setup program that's supposed to give you an iso up to 25% smaller, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it? If so, I've got some questions :D

1.Is the version of the WCP that's provided by the setup program a clean install or upgrade?

2.After it finishes downloading, will it do ANYTHING automatically? I'm going to leave my laptop alone for multiple hours while it downloads, and I don't want it autorestarting or anything until I get back and start the install.

3.How can it make the file 25% smaller?

4.Is it possible (as it was with the WDP) to mount the ISO file for the WCP inside of Windows and then simply install from there, or do I have to have a DVD/USB?

Thanks!

marc2003

15 minutes and done. now to install. :D

Azies

Installing the 32-bit version into VMWare now.. looks like setup is working.

PGHammer

Microsoft provides a Setup program that's supposed to give you an iso up to 25% smaller, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it? If so, I've got some questions :D

1.Is the version of the WCP that's provided by the setup program a clean install or upgrade?

2.After it finishes downloading, will it do ANYTHING automatically? I'm going to leave my laptop alone for multiple hours while it downloads, and I don't want it autorestarting or anything until I get back and start the install.

4.Is it possible (as it was with the WDP) to mount the ISO file for the WCP inside of Windows and then simply install from there, or do I have to have a DVD/USB?

Thanks!

The ESD is used for upgrades, and it's smaller (by about a third) than the same-bitness clean-install ISO. (I grabbed the ESD first for upgrade testing in VMs - took a surprisingly small - considering it's x64 - twenty minutes - and this via IE9.)

Azies

Thanks!

Yes, mount the .iso file, then navigate to the iso contents and choose Setup, do not install from the Autorun. Once setup starts, choose Custom Install, and choose the partition that you intend to install Windows 8 to, and once you're in WIn 8, change the boot priority to Windows 7, otherwise it'll half-boot Windows 8, and when you choose Win 7, it'll reboot the machine into Windows 7, which is a messy way to do it.

If you intend to do it by this method, grab the .iso, not the .esd from the Downloader.

Tharp Daddy

The ESD is used for upgrades, and it's smaller (by about a third) than the same-bitness clean-install ISO. (I grabbed the ESD first for upgrade testing in VMs - took a surprisingly small - considering it's x64 - twenty minutes - and this via IE9.)

The ISO still has the upgrade option as well, i hope? I'm already downloading the iso and would hate to have to cancel that and download the ESD to upgrade from Dev. Preview.

j1232

Ummm anyone know about the product key? Just tried to install and it is asking for a product key.

MidnightDevil

Ummm anyone know about the product key? Just tried to install and it is asking for a product key.

It's been posted.

Now we're going to have a thread about the first who installs it :b

Roger H.

First post!

yikes

Apparently it is possible to upgrade from Win7. What are the chances that it will be possible to upgrade from Win8 CP to Win8 RTM?

anthdci

x64 failing to boot in VMware Workstation 8.0.1. I installed it as a other operating system. Might try telling VMware it is windows7 instead.

Dannydeman

Installing from within Windows 7, Upgrading it seems. 46% complete :) Hopefully it'll work, and my apps like Photoshop will still be there.. we'll see.

+devHead

Yes, mount the .iso file, then navigate to the iso contents and choose Setup, do not install from the Autorun. Once setup starts, choose Custom Install, and choose the partition that you intend to install Windows 8 to, and once you're in WIn 8, change the boot priority to Windows 7, otherwise it'll half-boot Windows 8, and when you choose Win 7, it'll reboot the machine into Windows 7, which is a messy way to do it.

If you intend to do it by this method, grab the .iso, not the .esd from the Downloader.

You obviously haven't run setup for this yet; there is no such option. It asks you what you want to keep and you have the choice of your files and settings or 'nothing'. If you select nothing then click 'Install' it says you won't be able to use Windows during the install, but before that there is no option of a clean install.

cswimbound

From the looks of the way Windows 8 is shaping up, it looks as though Windows 8 is Longhorn reborn. Everything that was in the longhorn video about 10 years ago seems to finally now be getting implemented. :)

ady199

Do you need a key to install this??? (clean boot on a test machine)

Edit: Apologies - Just seen the first page

Pc_Madness

Can anyone post a screenshot of Media Center when they get the chance? :) Eager to see if its changed any. :)

notuptome2004

ok so from my understanding the ESD version is to do an upgrade from like windows 7 to windows 8 and only do that . cause if that is correct then all use the ESD

still1

apparently my download speed is only 700kbps.... i was exppecting more than 1 Mbps

marc2003

Can anyone post a screenshot of Media Center when they get the chance? :) Eager to see if its changed any. :)

don't get too excited. :p

wmc.png

firey

Well, I've got it installed, and honestly with all the bitching about how the dev preview isn't even close to the beta/consumer preview.. I have to say, the feel about the same.

The CP is quicker, and has no start button. But for me the main start screen feels the same, the desktop feels the same, there is no difference from what I can tell. There is polish, and probably a lot of under the hood changes, but there are a few things that would of been nice to see. One thing for example, is that ability to click and drag the start screen to scroll it, instead of using the silly scroll bar at the bottom.

It is also very good at making you feel retarded. I installed google chrome, and got a notification telling me that I had new software that can open web pages.

• Like 1
j1232

still nothing on the product key? I just attempted to install by booting by cd and still needed a product key.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now