Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

Elliot B.

I want to use the classic desktop at all times.

1. Where is the Start button?
  2. How do I bring the Start button up? When I press the WIN key, it goes back to the Metro design - argh!

manifesto

Downloading now the x64 build. I hope it will detect my laptop's Intel HD this time unlike the Dev Preview.

.Neo
Pretty much anything in Windows can be disabled, either via a registry change, a GPO, a third party shell workaround, or just flat out replaced.

In Windows 8 that would probably mean you'll loose a lot of functionality.

Syanide

Downloading it now to test it out. Hated the Developer Preview, so I hope this is better.

Pretty much the only question I have before I try it: can you disable Metro?

notuptome2004

ok i am new to ESD files never well used one how do i burn to DVD as iso or so or use

firey

2. How do I bring the Start button up? When I press the WIN key, it goes back to the Metro design - argh!

1) No more start button, but if you find it let me know..

2) No more start menu, the "Tiles" are the start menu, retarded if you ask me. I had to add a shortcut to cmd.exe on my desktop, eventually I will have to find all the apps I use regularily and make desktop icons, and make sure that I remember to make the icons, because the new start menu search is no were near as easy as

-> click start, type what I want, hit enter, program loads, done

TheLegendOfMart

You cant.

firey

Pretty much the only question I have before I try it: can you disable Metro?

not in any way shape or form

Rudy

Anyone know if one can use Boot Camp or Parallels or something along those lines on a Mac to get this working?

I am really doubting it can be done, just curious.

You can install it on a partition on your Mac just as you would install Win7 (it installs directly on the hardware, any future version of Windows will work out of the box). The drivers provided by bootcamp might work after some tweaking (the installer might give you a hard time, but you can probably extract the drivers)
Elliott

Anyone know if one can use Boot Camp or Parallels or something along those lines on a Mac to get this working?

It's working in VMware Fusion for me just by setting it up as though I were setting up a Windows 7 x64 machine, so it'll probably work in Parallels.

No idea about Boot Camp though. I don't like it enough to jeopardize my Windows 7 install on my iMac.

pack34

You can either click in the bottom left corner or hit the hardware windows key. The metro start screen is the new start menu. The classic one we are used to is gone.

Aaron Olive

yeah I got it installed on my iMac and it's working ok but widows keeps readjusting my backlight to low when I make it brighter, but so far i'm really hating this Metro garbage. Stuff is scattered everywhere and in my opinion they should make the desktop experience like windows 7 come final release.
  • Like 1
Amarok

1) No more start button, but if you find it let me know..

2) No more start menu, the "Tiles" are the start menu, retarded if you ask me. I had to add a shortcut to cmd.exe on my desktop, eventually I will have to find all the apps I use regularily and make desktop icons, and make sure that I remember to make the icons, because the new start menu search is no were near as easy as

-> click start, type what I want, hit enter, program loads, done

You cant.

:/ Well then it's pretty useless and a giant step backwards.

• Like 1
Max Norris
In Windows 8 that would probably mean you'll loose a lot of functionality.

Well yes, if you disable features, you're going to lose the functionality the disabled stuff brings ;)

(Directed at people in general) Personally kind of defeats the whole purpose of a consumer preview though... if you don't want to try the experimental latest and greatest, or if you're just going to whine about Metro, then you have no business installing it, that's just silly. Stay with 7.

• Like 3
Roger H.

metro is start - press start again to go back to the desktop. If you hover a mouse in the bottom left of the screen also it'll be the same. Pin your most used stuff to the area taskbar thing. LOL Then whenever you want something else, click start and type what it is (it auto searches) or just launch the app you want say you have it pinned there.

Syanide

So it's Windows 7 and Ubuntu for me then. I'll still give the CP a shot, but god dayum, Microsoft's insane if they think this can pass as a desktop environment. Too bad because I was interested in the hardware improvements and the other smaller changes to the desktop UI.

Dannydeman

ehhh.. if Microsoft is gonna release this to the public in the current form, I believe we have a new Windows ME on our hands. It's sooo confusing, this is one of the worst experiences I ever had.

I have a dual-monitor setup. But it's confusing as hell. The Startscreen can't be set to open on the second monitor. The HTML5 apps can't be pinned to the second monitor. What the hell? It is a feature which gives the Metro stuff any use on a desktop-PC and it just isn't even there. I'm not sure if I can ever get used to this. The Metro Apps kinda suck on a desktop PC, especially when you can't use them on the second monitor..

Am I doing something wrong, or is there something I can do to pin apps to the second monitor?

They also need to add more focus to the desktop enviorment I think. I don't want to log-off first to shutdown the PC. I don't want to click on 'apps, settings, files' when I want to open something like CMD..

• Like 2
scumdogmillionaire

Seems ok, going to have to really get into it to figure this out.

How do I get favorites in the metro IE?

No POP accounts in Mail?

I don't like that it's either Microsoft Account OR Local Account. Why can't it be both? A local account that you link your Microsoft Account to?

Have it in a VM and my wife's laptop. Might go all in and throw it on my Development machine. We'll see.

Max Norris
They also need to add more focus to the desktop enviorment I think. I don't want to log-off first to shutdown the PC. I don't want to click on 'apps, settings, files' when I want to open something like CMD..

Take a look in the bottom right corner of the desktop. Also, Win-R hasn't gone anywhere, nor has the ability to re-arrange or pin items on the start menu.

pack34

You can always hit the win key and type "CMD"

firey

the way I got around the apps thing was just made shortcuts on the desktop to apps I use, and any I didn't know I checked my Windows 7 machine for (such as the ability to auto-run the windows update client, instead of going through control panel).

Also made a shortcut for "shutdown /s /t 0" to shut down the computer without logging out, or doing extra work.

ybrett23

mines working fine in parallels, :laugh:

TheLegendOfMart

(Directed at people in general) Personally kind of defeats the whole purpose of a consumer preview though... if you don't want to try the experimental latest and greatest, or if you're just going to whine about Metro, then you have no business installing it, that's just silly. Stay with 7.

If enough people moan then maybe Microsoft will listen, if people put up and shut up then nothing will change. We arent whining for whinings sake, I am genuinely very unhappy with the situation as Microsoft has such a monopoly on the desktop PC I dont have any other options other than Linux or buy a Mac.

I could stay with Windows 7 but eventually, much like XP and Vista, Windows 8 will get things that wont be back ported to legacy Windows operating systems. Not only that but developers will start to target the new Metro features which means I will be getting reduced functionality out of the apps I use on Windows 7 just for the sake of Metro.

• Like 1
Vice

If enough people moan then maybe Microsoft will listen, if people put up and shut up then nothing will change. We arent whining for whinings sake, I am genuinely very unhappy with the situation as Microsoft has such a monopoly on the desktop PC I dont have any other options other than Linux or buy a Mac.

I could stay with Windows 7 but eventually, much like XP and Vista, Windows 8 will get things that wont be back ported to legacy Windows operating systems. Not only that but developers will start to target the new Metro features which means I will be getting reduced functionality out of the apps I use on Windows 7 just for the sake of Metro.

I agree 100% with everything you just said.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      Lenovo Yoga 9i 15 review: Big, powerful, and a workhorse convertible
      by Rich Woods

This year, Lenovo's flagship consumer convertible PC is called the Yoga 9i. This follows two years of being the Yoga C900 series, and prior to that, the Yoga 900 series. Yes, Lenovo has struggled with branding as of late, but the product is still solid, and the latest 15-inch Yoga 9i is here. And to be clear, it's the successor to the Yoga C940 15.

And when I reviewed that, I called it the rare workhorse convertible. That hasn't changed. It still has a 45W Intel Core processor and Nvidia GeForce graphics. Of course, the ninth-gen CPU has been replaced by 10th-gen, but also, the GeForce graphics have been bumped up to a GTX 1650 Ti.

While the powerful internals are what makes it stand apart from its 14-inch sibling, the Yoga 9i series is just awesome. It has the best audio quality that you'll find in a laptop with the powerful Dolby Atmos rotating soundbar, and it has a built-in pen garage. The screen supports Dolby Vision HDR, and it's just an all-around solid package.

Specs
      CPU Intel Core i7-10750H Graphics Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti 4GB GDDR6 Body 13.99x9.39x0.69-0.78in (355.5x238.5x17.5-19.7mm), 4.41lbs (2kg) Display 15.6" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, 500nit, VESA HDR400, Dolby Vision Memory 16GB LPDDR4, 2933MHz Storage 1TB PCIe NVMe Ports (1) USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
      (2) Thunderbolt 3 (Power, DP 1.4, data)
      (1) 3.5mm audio Battery 69Wh, Rapid Charge Express Connectivity Intel Wi-Fi 6 802.11 AX201 + Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Rotating Sound Bar with Dolby Atmos Speaker System certification
      2W x 4 (2x woofer, 2x tweeter) Input 6-row, multimedia Fn keys, numeric keypad, LED backlight
      Buttonless glass surface multi-touch touchpad Material Aluminum Color Slate Grey OS Windows 10 Home Price $1,799.99
      This model is sold at Bestbuy.com, but not at Lenovo.com. It was provided by Lenovo.

Day one
      Design
      The Lenovo Yoga 9i 15 that was sent to me comes in Slate Grey, and it's made out of aluminum. Yes, it seems to look the same that it has in previous years, and frankly, it's a bit dull. I've often criticized Lenovo for the gray aluminum laptop look. Just take a look at HP's beautiful Spectre x360 15 and you'll see what I mean.

I will point out that Lenovo is doing some cool things with design on its 14-inch Yoga 9i, which is available in all-black and with a leather cover. It's pretty great. That's exclusive to the 14-inch one though, at least for now.

On the left side of the PC, there are two Thunderbolt 3 ports, a 3.5mm audio jack, and an AC power port. Yes, you'll need to use Lenovo's 135W proprietary power adapter instead of USB Type-C, since this powerful machine requires more power than you'd get over Power Delivery. In fact, these ports don't even support Power Delivery, so if you wanted to use a USB Type-C charger for a slow charge, you can't even do that.

Those Thunderbolt 3 ports do support DisplayPort 1.4, so you should be able to connect an 8K display to one port if you wanted to (I don't have an 8K display to test). Those ports also make it possible to dock the PC and use the Yoga 9i as your desktop. It has the power to handle all tasks for most people, and the display output for your high-resolution monitors.

On the other side, there's a lone USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A port. USB 3.2 Gen 1, also known as USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.0, is good for 5Gbps data transfer speeds. The combination of two USB Type-C ports and one USB Type-A port isn't uncommon for consumer laptops, but I'd still hope for a second USB Type-A port on a big device like this. That's a very minor complaint though; after all, one USB Type-A port should be fine for on-the-go, and if it's docked at home, you'll have extra ports that way.

You'll notice on that side that there's also a pen garage. This is one of my favorite things about premium Lenovo convertibles. The pen doesn't get away like it does if it's magnetically attached to the side, but you still always have it with you. It's also always charged. The only downside is that it's not a full-size pen, so if you want that, you can purchase any number of third-party products.

Finally, the Yoga 9i 15 comes with a Dolby Atmos soundbar in the hinge. Lenovo calls it a rotating soundbar, because no matter which orientation you're using the device in, you've still got audio firing right at you.

Dolby Vision display and Dolby Atmos rotating soundbar
      Lenovo does have both FHD and UHD options for the screen. This time around, the firm sent me the FHD model, which should get better battery life. They both support Dolby Vision HDR, and they're super bright at 500 nits.

Honestly, there's a big trade-off to be had here. Obviously, battery life drops off dramatically when you switch to UHD, but FHD just doesn't look as good. And the bigger the screen, the more noticeable it is. For a 15.6-inch panel, I feel like a higher resolution is pretty necessary, especially on something like the Yoga 9i, which is meant to have an excellent media consumption experience. As always, I wish there was a QHD option.

The Yoga 9i 15 has narrow bezels all around, and the top bezel is a bit bigger. Lenovo also used its reverse notch, which we're seeing across the lineup, and it has a privacy guard built into it. The reverse notch provides an easy way to lift the lid, and it also gives Lenovo some extra space to pack in the webcam and other sensors. There's no IR camera for Windows Hello though.

I mentioned earlier that the Dolby Atmos rotating soundbar provides the best audio that you can get from a laptop, and I'm pretty confident in that statement. It has four 2W speakers built into it, and a comfortable volume for listening to music is around 25% for me. For most laptops, it's around 90%, because regarding the general market, quality has gotten a lot better, but volume has not. This laptop offers both quality and volume. This thing can fill the room.

The Yoga 9i is the ultimate media consumption machine. With a beautiful Dolby Vision screen and the Dolby Atmos rotating soundbar, movies and TV shows look and sound great, and music gets loud. You can also use it for some Full HD gaming if you want. And of course, it's good for work too, as those video calls while working from home will sound crystal clear.

Keyboard and trackpad
      The full-size keyboard on the Lenovo Yoga 9i 15 has a numpad to the right of it, something that I'm not personally a fan of on laptops. It's big enough for it, of course, but if you don't want to use the numpad, you have to align yourself to the left.

The backlit keys are a lot shallower than you'd find on a ThinkPad, and that always kind of fascinates me. Both ThinkPads and Lenovo's Yoga consumer laptops have fantastic keyboards that are both comfortable and accurate to type on; they're just different. It's like Lenovo decided at some point that its business customers want something different from consumers.

There's a fingerprint sensor to the bottom right of the keyboard, which is fine. Honestly, I expect it to be there being that there's no IR camera for Windows Hello facial recognition. At least there's one method for biometric authentication.

The Microsoft Precision trackpad is clickable, and it's both fast and responsive, as you'd expect from any Precision trackpad. I do wish it was a bit bigger, a common point that I like to make on larger laptops. The real estate on the aluminum palm rest is there; why not use it? This is something that Dell finally took advantage of this year with its XPS 15 and XPS 17.

And of course, the other method of input is the pen, as I mentioned above. It comes in a pen garage in the PC, so you can always break it out if you need it.

Performance and battery life
      The Yoga 9i 15 that Lenovo sent me includes an Intel Core i7-10750H CPU and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 GPU with 4GB GDDR6 memory. The CPU is a 45W processor with six cores and 12 threads, just like the Core i7-9750H that we got in last year's model, although the turbo frequency on this one can reach 5GHz.

You might also recall that last year's Yoga C940 15 also has a GTX 1650 GPU; however, that was one that was using GDDR5 memory. This year's model uses the superior GDDR6 memory, and that's definitely something you should take note of when looking at the GTX 1650 in any device.

These are powerful internals, and frankly, I used this machine for everything. I edited video, played games, watched shows, listened to music, took handwritten notes, and I just typed articles. It's an amazing all-around PC. Speaking of performance, FHD gaming does just fine with what we have here, and so does FHD 60fps video editing.

Sadly, as usual, the powerful internals don't translate well to battery life. I only got about five hours of real-world work, and that was on a good day and not including doing more power-hungry tasks like video editing and gaming. I thought the FHD screen would help it to do better than it did, but that wasn't the case. I'm not upset about it though.

A big part of choosing the right PC for you is finding the right balance between power and battery life. There's always a trade-off to be made, and you have to see how it fits into how you want to be able to use the PC. Of course, if you want better battery life, you can take a look at the 14-inch model that has a U-series CPU and integrated graphics.

For benchmarks, I used PCMark 8, PCMark 10, 3DMark, and Geekbench.

Lenovo Yoga 9i 15
      Core i7-10750H, GTX 1650 GDDR6 Lenovo Yoga C940 15
      Core i7-9750H, GTX 1650 GDDR5 HP OMEN 15
      Ryzen 7 4800H, GTX 1660 Ti Dell XPS 15 9500
      Core i7-10875H, GTX 1650Ti PCMark 8: Home 3,936 3,915 4,756 3,652 PCMark 8: Creative 4,693 3,788 6,028 4,839 PCMark 8: Work 3,817 3,918 3,989 3,322 PCMark 10 5,159 5,144 5,639 5,136 3DMark: Time Spy 3,643 3,511 6,037 3,743 Geekbench 5 1,232 / 5,608 1,188 / 7,946
      Comparing this year's model to last year's, it's no surprise that there are few big changes in the scores. The CPUs between the two generations are very similar.

Conclusion
      It's not the prettiest laptop I've seen by a long stretch, and as always, I wish there was 4G LTE and an IR camera, but as I mentioned, I was able to use the Lenovo Yoga 9i 15 for anything I wanted to. That goes for video editing and gaming to work and consumption.

It has the powerful internals for powerful tasks like video editing and gaming. At the same time, it's also just an incredibly well-built machine with a great keyboard and trackpad, so it's excellent for general productivity as well.

But let's talk about just media consumption. The beautiful screen supports Dolby Vision HDR and the Dolby Atmos soundbar provides audio that's second to none. The built-in pen is appreciated too. I was able to use this machine for taking handwritten notes and for signing documents.

I think that with Lenovo's Yoga 9 series, the company provides one of the best all-around experiences out there. If you want to check it out, you can find it here.

• By Hamza Jawad
      Microsoft shares the innovative ways in which its ElectionGuard software is being utilized
      by Hamza Jawad

Image via Microsoft Last year, Microsoft unveiled ElectionGuard - a voting system aimed toward showcasing security and affordability for the voting process in elections. Since then, the tech giant has released the software on GitHub and even piloted it in an election in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. Today, Microsoft has highlighted some of the unique ways in which ElectionGuard is being used in various projects.

For starters, VotingWorks - the firm which partnered with Microsoft in the aforementioned Wisconsin elections - recently incorporated ElectionGuard into Arlo, its open-source auditing software. Arlo was then used to conduct a risk-limiting audit in Inyo County, California to show a link between the election and the audit results, with voter privacy being maintained during the process through the software.

Moving on, ElectionGuard was successfully used to encrypt votes cast using a mobile app, developed by technology firm Markup, which facilitated remote voting for the leadership of the U.S. House Democratic Caucus. No personal devices were used during this voting process, and House-managed iPhones were utilized instead. Similarly, Canadian company Neuvote created a hybrid mobile voting system that enables voters to "cast and confirm a paper ballot from a smartphone or tablet while watching the process on their device". The electronic vote record which is cast is secured through ElectionGuard. On both these projects, Microsoft has been assisted by the U.S.-based firm InfernoRed.

In the future, Microsoft plans to share more on ElectionGuard's use in ensuring voting confidence when it comes to traditional voting systems.

• By Rich Woods
      Razer's modular Tomahawk Gaming Desktop is now available
      by Rich Woods

Today, Razer announced that its new, modular Tomahawk Gaming Desktop is available for purchase. It was first announced at CES this year, and it comes with a tool-less sled to gain access to the internals.

It's a 10L chassis (210x150x365mm), so it's a small PC, and it comes with the signature Razer design language that fans are going to appreciate. That means that it's made out of CNC-milled aluminum with a matte black finish. It's also got Chroma lighting along the base.

It's actually designed around an Intel NUC, so it comes with ninth-generation Intel H-series CPUs, specifically, the overclockable Core i9-9980HK. It does have room for a full-size GPU though, up to 320x140mm. You can actually have it configured with up to an Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080.

Image from CES earlier this year Packed with a 750W PSU, 16GB DDR4 memory, a 512GB SSD, and a 2TB HDD, it has two Thunderbolt 3 ports, four USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A ports, two gigabit Ethernet ports, and 3.5mm audio ports.

The Razer Tomahawk Gaming Desktop is available today, starting at $2,399.99. That base model comes with an unpopulated PCIe slot where you can use any GPU you want. For $3,199.99, you can get the model with the RTX 3080. If you want to check it out, you can find it here.

• By Hamza Jawad
      Microsoft unveils Azure Purview, a new data governance platform
      by Hamza Jawad

In recent Azure news, Microsoft launched the Az Predictor to improve the usability of Azure PowerShell last month, while the renowned Battle Royale title PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds was also announced to be getting hosted using the Redmond firm's cloud platform soon. Earlier this year, meanwhile, Microsoft announced deeper integration between Azure Synapse Analytics and Power BI.

Synapse Analytics, the data unifying service which combines data engineering, machine learning, and business intelligence capabilities to eliminate silos has now reached general availability. Alongside this announcement, Microsoft also unveiled Azure Purview, a unified data governance platform to automate the discovery of data and cataloging.

The purpose of Purview is to allow the mapping of all data present within an organization, ensuring that companies can keep track of their data regardless of where it is stored. Data that is on-premises, across clouds, in Power BI, or in SaaS applications, can be protected using mechanisms built upon Microsoft's Information Protection solution. Over 100 AI classifiers that look for sensitive data, out-of-compliance data, and personally identifiable information (PII) have been utilized to help comprehend data exposures.

The key components of Azure Purview have been noted as follows:

To get started with Azure Purview, interested parties can check out its preview here.

• By indospot
      Microsoft adds new File skill to Cortana
      by João Carrasqueira

Microsoft released a new build of Windows 10 to Insiders in the Dev channel today, and as we've seen in recent weeks, it was a pretty uneventful release. However, the company did announce a new feature for Cortana alongside the new build, but you can use it even if you're not in the Insider program.

The feature is a new File skill for the digital assistant, which means it can now help users find and open documents without navigating their files manually. Users can ask Cortana to open a specific file using parts of its name, using the author's name, file type, or simply files that were accessed recently.

For users signed in with a personal Microsoft account, the feature can only search for files saved locally on the PC. Business users, on the other hand, can use it to open files from SharePoint and OneDrive for Business, in addition to locally-stored files.

Based on our testing, the feature is working at least on Windows 10 version 20H2, so you don't need to be an Insider at all. However, you do need to have the Cortana language set to English and the region set to the United States.