What is going to happen after OS X 10.9?

I THINK that especially after consecutively dropping the "Mac" from "Mac OS X" that the brand recognition now HEAVILY relies on the "X".

This is just a guess of cause, as Apple is always good for surprises and maybe sometimes ninja slapping logical decisions that seem drastic (and sometimes are, tbh)...

Glassed Silver:mac

When counting money ?10.1 and ?10.10 are the same amount. Version numbers work differently in the sense they can continue to go up after .9 to .10. With version numbers .10 is in fact higher than .1.

Knowing Apple very well, I don't think they will call it 10.10... More like OS XI or 11.

In that case you don't seem to know Apple very well as the company showed us in the past they are willing to go beyond .9. Per example the OS X Tiger v10.4.10 and v10.4.11 updates.

• Like 2

OS11. I felt they wanted to do OSX cuz 10 is a special # so it deserves Roman numerals... f***, I don't know!

Uhm... No. :)

OS X is not just another version of Mac OS.

Mac OS before OS X:

When it got a major upgrade (main version bump) it got from say Mac OS 7 to Mac OS 8

Now, Mac OS X's major bumps are OS X 10.<# action HERE>

The seemingly "subversion" being the major version indicator, the "main version" is actually part of the brand/name.

In that case you don't seem to know Apple very well as the company showed us in the past they are willing to go beyond .9. Per example the OS X Tiger v10.4.10 and v10.4.11 updates.

That's updates to the OS, not a new OS like the OP is asking about it. He is asking what could come beyond 10.9 OS.

The X has become a trademark like the name Pentium. Even though it made no sense to have a Pentium II (5 II?) Intel milked the name for over a decade before finally giving it up, and then they brought it back again. I doubt they'll change it, OS X is like the name Windows for them now. I wouldn't be surprised to see OS X v11 eventually.

That's updates to the OS, not a new OS like the OP is asking about it. He is asking what could come beyond 10.9 OS.

I think .Neo is well aware of that, however I think that although the reasoning of his logic is a little off the course I THINK his take (OS X 10.nn instead of 11.n) might be correct.

They'll run out of can species, unless you go bob cat, alley cat, roadkill cat.

Mhhh... And after Mountain Lion there will be Campbell?

:p

Either way, if you actually take a look at how many cat names there are (wild cats that is), you'll be surprised how many more years of meowing joy might be ahead of us.

I mean, it didn't stop them calling Mountain Lion what it is called, after already having Puma and Cougar, which are all basically the same.

They are after the actual word, less after the cat that's behind that name.

Uhm... No. :)

OS X is not just another version of Mac OS.

Mac OS before OS X:

When it got a major upgrade (main version bump) it got from say Mac OS 7 to Mac OS 8

Now, Mac OS X's major bumps are OS X 10.<# action HERE>

The seemingly "subversion" being the major version indicator, the "main version" is actually part of the brand/name.

So you think that Apple will continue using 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 etc, etc?

That's a pretty good thought, not matter what version they will release beyond 10.9. They will run out of cat names and then what will be the next animal species? lol

[1/2]

So you think that Apple will continue using 10.10, 10.11, 10.12 etc, etc?

Yes.

[2/2]

That's a pretty good thought, not matter what version they will release beyond 10.9. They will run out of cat names and then what will be the next animal species? lol

See above...

I think some people don't seem to realize that for marketing purposes the version number has become completely irrelevant. Apple's desktop OS is called "OS X" + "Cat" now rather than "Mac OS" + "Version Number". The "OS X" isn't going anywhere anytime soon if you'd ask me.

The real question people should be asking is: "What is Apple going to do once the run out of cat species?" However, even with those the company can carry on for many years to come.

I would pay a million $ for an OSX 10.9999999 Roadkill Cat. I'm sure Team Plasma PETA will be thrilled!

My point still stands: There's no reason whatsoever why Apple can't go from 10.9 to 10.10. They've done so in the past with system updates, why not with a major upgrade? To the end user it doesn't matter, nor is the version number itself being used for marketing purposes anymore.