What is going to happen after OS X 10.9?

It?ll be merged with iOS. At this point, it?ll come right after iOS 9 and will be called iOS X. Trust me !

And then what? They still have to give it a version number ending up with iOS X v10.x(x) all the same. ;)

And then what? They still have to give it a version number ending up with iOS X v10.x(x) all the same. ;)

History will repeat itself, honoring the success of Mac OS X :

iOS X 10.0 Cheetah

iOS X 10.1 Puma

iOS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

The last one will be out in 2026 according to my secret Apple source and after that, operating systems will be so perfect that they won?t need to evolve anymore ! Trust me !

OS11. I felt they wanted to do OSX cuz 10 is a special # so it deserves Roman numerals... f***, I don't know!

X was probably an inside wink to NeXTSTEP. OS X and iOS are direct descendant of NeXTSTEP.

However, at the end, its all about marketing.

No real reason they couldn't do OS X 10.10. And it seems like it's probably going to happen, as Apple is apparently going back to a yearly release cycle for OS X development.

Apple OS X 20** then the year -- or just Apple 20** ---- or OS 20** that would make this schematic more easier to manage...

Or even

OS last two of the year-- for example -- OS 12 or OS 13

Apple OS X 20** then the year -- or just Apple 20** ---- or OS 20** that would make this schematic more easier to manage...

How is "OS X Year version XX.XX" easier manageable compared to "OS X Cat version XX.XX"?

All you did was replace the cat name by a year. You still need a version number for developing purposes.

How is "OS X Year version XX.XX" easier manageable compared to "OS X Cat version XX.XX"?

All you did was replace the cat name by a year. You still need a version number for developing purposes.

OS 12.01 02 03 04 then 13.01.04 (gives you like .99 builds between years)

That is making things much more simple... when you consider using that method.

That and you could also use the 12.01.** 00 for releases but the 12,01.(01) for the developing.

A name shouldn't be looked at a from a developers point of view. OS X isn't some Linux distro targeted at geeks, the average customer couldn't care less about the exact release date of a major OS X version.

They're going to run out of cats before they run out of version numbers. :p

Yup, that's what I said on the previous page. :p One has to realize though that there are like 36 known cat species on the planet. So far Apple only utilized 9 of them which means if the company sticks to a yearly release-cycle they won't run out of names until 2039. Depending on how many species will be extinct by then, of course then they can make it about a tribute to those cats fallen and add even more to the list. ;)

I dont think they will be calling it OS X 10.10 << this is very non-apple esque...

They will most probably call it just OS X with a name but no version number i guess

Expect them to start a bird series...OS X Falcon will be a nice name #just saying :p

They only change the OS number (8,9,X) for major releases. If they were to do that in the near future (before X 10.10), it would be to merge iOS and OS X into one operating system, at which point they'd probably just go back to calling it Mac OS.

Version numbers can go past 9

There can be a 10.50.5 if they feel like it

It's called iOS 10

Anyone who thinks they'll make OSX and iOS the same OS is mental. The fact is, they're different and will always stay different. Sharing codebase of some amount and some feature sets does not equate anything NEAR actually being the same OS. You'd need a SERIOUSLY powerful phone to run anything in the ballpark of OSX. They'll keep them separate forever. They'll never mix them into one. It's also massively confusing for the consumer.

Anyone who thinks they'll make OSX and iOS the same OS is mental. The fact is, they're different and will always stay different. Sharing codebase of some amount and some feature sets does not equate anything NEAR actually being the same OS. You'd need a SERIOUSLY powerful phone to run anything in the ballpark of OSX. They'll keep them separate forever. They'll never mix them into one. It's also massively confusing for the consumer.

They'll have to mix them at some point. It's quite silly that applications which run on my phone can't run on my computer, and that you need to install the same application twice if you want to use it on your phone and PC.

Also, people are moving away from desktops, and more people want a computer that is portable and has a good battery life, which means the processors on the PC end aren't running away from the processors on the tablet end.

In programming, the numbers after the dote does not follow the mathematical notation. 1.1 is different than 1.10 and different than 1.100.

After 1.9, in programming, comes 1.10, after 1.99, comes 1.100, and so on.

I'm sure it will be OSX .10 They are branding OSX, so it would make absolutely no sense to drop that entirely... What interests me more is what they'll do when they run out of cool cats... Maybe each x10 revision will see a change in animal species... LOL That would be intriguing...

In that case you don't seem to know Apple very well as the company showed us in the past they are willing to go beyond .9. Per example the OS X Tiger v10.4.10 and v10.4.11 updates.

As I recall though, that 10.4.10 updated did throw some developers for a loop with improper version checking equating 10.4.1 and 10.4.10. I could see the same thing happening with a 10.10 version being mistakenly identified by some software as 10.1.

Apple is de-emphasizing the version numbers more and more these days. Really they're just something for developers to be concerned with.

Apple has barely even mentioned that OS X Mountain Lion is version 10.8, probably the only place they've really done so is in information for developers.

I predict that after OS X <Cat Name> (v10.9) will be OS X <Cat Name/New Naming Scheme> (v10.10)

As I recall though, that 10.4.10 updated did throw some developers for a loop with improper version checking equating 10.4.1 and 10.4.10. I could see the same thing happening with a 10.10 version being mistakenly identified by some software as 10.1.

Thank God for a thing called "application updates".

Thank God for a thing called "application updates".

Yeah, I know, I'm just pointing out that some lazy developers (you know, the ones least likely to actually do updates) have in the past screwed up with version checking, and it could happen again with 10.10.

• Like 1