What is going to happen after OS X 10.9?

Yeah, I know, I'm just pointing out that some lazy developers (you know, the ones least likely to actually do updates) have in the past screwed up with version checking, and it could happen again with 10.10.

From Apple's perspective I don't think that's much of a reason for them to even consider jumping to "v11.0". :)

• Like 1

From Apple's perspective I don't think that's much of a reason for them to even consider jumping to "v11.0". :)

Oh, certainly not, and I didn't mean to imply that it was. In fact, that would bring all kinds of versioning problems of its own.

• 1 year later...

It's time for a major OS update and a new name. I agree with those who think that Apple will eventually merge OSX and iOS. If they do, how about Xi?

I don't really see why they wouldn't just call it OS XI.

I mean is OS X really that much of a brand name that they can't move forward? I really don't think it is.

but what do I know :p

"OS X" has become Apple's brand name for their desktop operating system. In very much the same way "Windows", "Ubuntu", "Android" or "iOS". For whatever reason some people are still unable to see "OS X" as a name rather than just a version number.

"OS X" has become Apple's brand name for their desktop operating system. In very much the same way "Windows", "Ubuntu", "Android" or "iOS". For whatever reason some people are still unable to see "OS X" as a name rather than just a version number.

But OS X is a version number... roman numeral 10.

Many people say "OS EX" but it's really "OS TEN"

But OS X is a version number... roman numeral 10.

Many people say "OS EX" but it's really "OS TEN"

I'm fully aware that "X" stands for "10". It started out as purely a version number, in later years it has become Apple brand for their desktop operating system. I'm not entirely sure why some people have such a difficult time coming to terms with that and are almost obsessed with Apple moving on to version 11.

• Like 1

They'll probably just call it "The New OS X 10.0"

Jokes aside, I think "OS X" is now more of a brand name then it's literal (roman) numbering now and they may just as well call it OS X 11.0

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They likely will. It's not just a brand name, it also represents the (then entirely new) code base/platform it's built upon. Think of OS X 10.8 as OS X v8, for example, and it makes more sense that there could easily be OS X 11.0. Not to mention version numbers don't really mean anything anymore, just ask Google Chrome.

• Like 1

I think they move on to OS XI. The reason: yes, vesion number goes further than .9, but who said that Mac OS can handel a .xx release? A version number gaining another digit can give serious problems and bugs. For example, software could see OS X 10.10 as OS X 10.1, because they don't expect a second digit after the first minor digit. This will turn out in lots of software bugging up.

I think they move on to OS XI. The reason: yes, vesion number goes further than .9, but who said that Mac OS can handel a .xx release? A version number gaining another digit can give serious problems and bugs. For example, software could see OS X 10.10 as OS X 10.1, because they don't expect a second digit after the first minor digit. This will turn out in lots of software bugging up.

OS X Tiger had point releases that were 10 and above. I believe the final release was 10.4.11, and everything was just fine.

OS X Tiger had point releases that were 10 and above. I believe the final release was 10.4.11, and everything was just fine.

Yes, but there is a huge difference in incrementing from 10.4.1 to 10.4.11 and trying to increment from 10.9 to 10.10. It simply doesn't work that way.

I mean is OS X really that much of a brand name that they can't move forward? I really don't think it is.

>

Exactly. I remember hearing some time back that although Apple's computers are still called "Macs," the operating system is no longer called Macintosh. That being said, OSX has become the name of the operating system, I would imagine. As such, to me at least, the X has lost it ten-ness and has simply become a meaningless part of an acronym.

I think they'll go with either OSX 11 (incrementing from 10.9 to 11.0) or try to drop the X and go with OS11.

I find it hard to believe that software would crash because of "10.10." This isn't the Y2k problem... There could potentially be some minor compatibility issues, ones that could probably be fixed very fast.

As mentioned before OSX is a brand name, with connections to uniX and nextX, they will simply move to 10.10, with more of a focus on the naming of the version after a cat or other animal, since leopard and even with some beginings in Tiger apple have moved more and more to refer to the versions by their cat code names rather than the version number.

I said it once and I'll say it again: Thank god for software updates. Also, OS X ? Windows. Certain problems and limitations that exist on Microsoft's platform don't necessarily have to exist on Apple's.

They'll take a page from Microsoft and call it OS One! Or one up (down?) them and call it OS Zero. ;) OSZ! (that'll please the people who refer to OS X as "Oh Ess Ex" rather than the roman numeral it is "Oh Ess Ten" like Apple always does) You've heard it here first folks! *not at all serious in case you can't tell* The serious part however is the way Apple always refers to the OS and it's never EX. Like for example, they say the latest as OS TEN Mavericks. The only people who refer to it as EX that are a certain segment of the audience.

Oh and I'd just love to see how people would try to phonetically pronounce XI. Exxi? Oh Ess Exxi.. how sexxi! :)