What is going to happen after OS X 10.9?

As mentioned before OSX is a brand name, with connections to uniX and nextX, they will simply move to 10.10, with more of a focus on the naming of the version after a cat or other animal, since leopard and even with some beginings in Tiger apple have moved more and more to refer to the versions by their cat code names rather than the version number.

They ditched the whole cat naming scheme and moved on to real world themes to describe the changed and features they add each year. This year it is OSX Mavericks, a California surfing theme. Next year, it could be another California-related theme or some other place. A bold move, but was expected since they were running out of superior cat species

With regards to the whole OSX to OS11.0, I think people are just a little frustrated after 10.8 didn't turn out to be bring anything significant other than porting some iOS features like the notifications bar that did not really have much use for most people. This year, 10.9 finally bought some much needed improvements to Finder. I can definitely see my productively going through the roof with those tabs.

OSX 11.0 maybe?

As far as I know the X actually stands for the 10. 11.0 would be OS XI.

10.10 ........ -siiiiigh-..... I remember back in the old days, X meant ****, and I was still rocking OS 7 on one machine, and OS 9 on another, then went PC. lol

Seriously, guys, OS 11, it won't hurt, it might actually be a good thing...

On an unrelated note.. ^Your upload and download has me jealous, damn it! lol^

If you ask me, Apple seems afraid to change. OS X.Next won't be very much different than "Maverick" turned out to be. They'll probably milk the "X" for as long as they can before the tech pundits cry out for change like they did with iOS.

• 2 months later...

If you ask me, Apple seems afraid to change. OS X.Next won't be very much different than "Maverick" turned out to be. They'll probably milk the "X" for as long as they can before the tech pundits cry out for change like they did with iOS.

APPLE is afraid of change?  Wake up and smell the Haxwell Mouse coffee, Dot - a lot of IT is scared nearly unto death of change.  Any major change in IT or tech is fought tooth and nail - look at how LITTLE Android has changed since the mere announcement of Android 4.0 (which was supposed the phone-oriented 2.x and tablet-oriented 3.x code branches into a common core).  How do developers respond?  By finding new and creative ways to write only for specific hardware types (despite that such is utterly verboten by no less than the TOS of the Google Play Store).  That is why even Google is paying only lip service to that very clause of the TOS - all too many apps are NOT common to both phones and tablets.  Then there is gaming - PC gaming in particular; if you write for even mainstream or midrange PC hardware (believe it or not, quad-core CPUs have been mainstream for almost half a decade), you get castigated for pushing the envelope too high; same thing applies to DX11 games - that is despite DX11 midrange GPUs being around almost as long as the quad-core CPUs I mentioned.  All Apple is doing is basically "kissing up" to the cowardice - because, for them, it is profitable.

("Haxwell Mouse" is what it sounds like - a satirical coffee brand based on "Maxwell House" coffee; the brand appeared in WWII and postwar Warner Brothers and Vitaphone cartoons that were originally shown in theaters; nowadays, of course, you can see them on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network.  Like Chock Full O'Nuts - a regional coffee company that can be said to be an early ancestor of Starbucks - and actually had Jackie Robinson as an early spokeperson - they are still around today; like all the old "General Foods" brands that became part of Kraft Foods, they have moved from their old New York base - specifically, Tarrytown - to Northbrook, Illinois. )

They'll change it to OSXi and then sue VMWare for doing ESXi.

Lol I genuinely laughed at that :) then when they sue, VMW turn round and buy them out, happy days for all :P

Maybe instead of doing version Numbers, they'll use OS X as a Brand (As in pronounced OS X) and go with version names.

OS X Mavericks

OS X Something Else

OS X Something Else

Maybe ditch the .1

I reckon they'll just call it Mac OS 11, to be honest.

That would be very surprising, considering they chose to get rid of the 'Mac OS' brand and replaced it with 'OS X'. And I could see OS X live on for another decade or so.

If you ask me, Apple seems afraid to change. OS X.Next won't be very much different than "Maverick" turned out to be. 

Good.

• Like 1

It's only good until your competitors start leaving you in the dust. 

We don't have to count on Microsoft for that in the next few years.

We don't have to count on Microsoft for that in the next few years.

You're right... Because it happened almost 20 years ago.

You're right... Because it happened almost 20 years ago.

It also happened more recently when Apple released the iPhone and the iPad. iOS is starting to drag in certain areas, but Apple already have a tablet solution, there is no benefit for them integrating a tablet focused experience into their desktop OS.

I should also point out that OSX already has (and has had for a good long while) very good support for gestures and full-screen apps, where they looked at ways for making those things useful for desktop users, and they didn't need to engineer a whole new platform to get them.

• Like 2