If you hate Windows 8, will you switch ?

So the Windows 8 Consumer Preview has hit the net today, and Apple announced OS X Mountain Lion Last week.

Did you check them both ? What is your instinct telling you right now about the next-gen operating systems ?

windows-8-light-blue.png

Windows-8-tile-homescreen.jpg

overview_preview.pngoverview_mountainlion_title.png

overview_notifications.png

im trying out Windows 8 now, its about getting use to it. i can see alot of people staying with Windows 7.

• Like 3

Nope. I'm not liking this preview of Windows 8. So many options and features are hidden... but if you move your finger or mouse in a certain area, they appear. I don't like it when things are hidden. Also, the Metro and Desktop views feel like you're in different operating systems. It feels so unnatural. I'll stick with my Windows 7 laptop. If that breaks, I'm switching to OS X.

• Like 2

I will continue to use 7- and stop trying to solicit Mountain Lion here. It's not happening. Windows 8 is ridiculous and a step backwards. They should of just named it Windows 8 mobile and not tried to push this crap down our throats. Take the blinders off you guys this is nothing less then propaganda and an attempt by MS to force their product into getting the consumer into buying new hardware. Not anywhere did I see an explanation by MS on how traditional 7/XP users can benefit from this junk.

I think I will stcik to what works for me right now: Windows 7 + Elementary.

I've never supported the "newest is the best" ideology. I support people who use old software or hardware if that what serve them the best. I even knew a music producer who used an amiga 4000, a couple of atari ST's (or whatever that atari machine built for music was) and a windows 95 machine that runs software wirtten by him.

Newest, if not flawed, always better. But in this case... I even praised Windows ME and Windows Vista, but Windows 8....

• Like 2

Switched and staying with the CP. I have no reason to go back. Still keeping Win7 as backup on dual boot, but haven't found a reason to use it again since I installed CP yesterday.

• Like 2

I will give Win8 another try, if it still confuse me ( switching between start screen and desktop ), than i'll stick with windows 7.

Newest, if not flawed, always better. But in this case... I even praised Windows ME and Windows Vista, but Windows 8....

me too, first time i booted up ME it crashed, the second time it was super fast so i applauded it,... vista was a big leap from xp and i thought it was great with a few flaws until i used windows 7 (from beta onwards) but with windows 8 i just feel stressed, i like how they are trying new things but they really should release a tablet and a desktop edition separately, this time i don't think I'm gonna get used to it ...

also I repair computers for a living and something I've noticed that will cause people like me problems , using your Microsoft live account as your user account, when someone brings their computer to be repaired they'll be more reluctant to provide a password... just a thought that popped into my head is all....

Mostly using Windows 7, with a small helping of OSX and Arch Linux on the side. I'm actually kind of liking Windows 8 so far, but yea it needs a good bit of refinement yet, at least on the desktop end. (Digging it on my tablet though.) If for whatever reason it totally bombs, no I don't see myself switching. Throwing everything away and starting from scratch versus just keeping what I have that works great? It's a no brainer. I'm not a big fan of the alternatives, and Windows 8 tanking isn't going to change that.

As long as Metro can be disabled (even if it requires a script), I'll run Win 8. That's all assuming that there is no incompatibility mess that pops up.

Windows 7, Windows 8 made a VM appearance on my computer, but that's the most that will happen. I am not switching to Windows 8, and if I got a new computer with W8 I'd put Windows 7 back on it.

I had to vote Other / Other because of the lack of options. I use Windows 7 and two Linux distros in a tripple boot configuration.

I don't foresee myself rushing to upgrade to Windows 8 any time soon because I'm mostly a desktop mouse/keyboard user, and from playing around with Win8, there doesn't seem to be much of an incentive for users like me to upgrade yet. I say yet because this was just a consumer preview and it's quite possible the end result might change my mind. We'll have to wait and see.

I'm staying 7 unless:

1.- There is a mod to bring back the start menu in its former glory

2.- There is a way to disable the metro tiles screen

Everything else is alright, but those two key factors... Oh my.

If that remains in the final version of Windows 8 I'll skip it and go up to windows 9, and if they keep it like that then I will still update to windows 9, by then I'm so gonna say "this is a huge step, may as well get used to it"

Forgot to mention, this will be the first windows version that I'm going to skip, because I went through ME and Vista with no issues...

• Like 1

If that remains in the final version of Windows 8 I'll skip it and go up to windows 9, and if they keep it like that then I will still update to windows 9, by then I'm so gonna say "this is a huge step, may as well get used to it"

Forgot to mention, this will be the first windows version that I'm going to skip, because I went through ME and Vista with no issues...

then you may as well get used to it now before later

Win9 would most probably would go father away from windows legacy and toward unifying experience (metroifying the desktop!)

Even if a person doesn't like Windows 8, why would they switch. OSX won't be able to compete with Windows 7, which still hasn't peaked. The only thing not to like is Metro on the desktop and hopefully you can remove that permanently if you like since Windows 8 does appear to be more optimized in several areas.