Windows 8: My list of improvements

Give me the option to disable Metro on the desktop. I think that's a very fair compromise for all involved, is it really that hard?

It's not going to happen for the same reason you couldn't use the classic start menu in Windows 7.

@migo: Exactly, so the best way to countermeasure this issue is to improve what they are giving us.

Furthermore, we still don't know what OEMs will have prepared for us on its arrival.

I agree with many of the items on the list. For instance, why does clicking on the network icon on the desktop bring up a Metro interface element? That doesn't happen when you click on the speaker icon or the clock. And there is definitely a need for a Metro version of Explorer, as Microsoft is being naive to believe that the inter-app sharing will be enough for power-users. The idea of a power-app is sensible and even if Microsoft doesn't do it themselves I imagine that - providing that the framework allows it - somebody else will implement that. The Start button is a tricky one, as providing an option to enable will lead to many users doing that and the Win8 experience will become very fractured - that's why the traditional Start Menu has been removed altogether. However, some of the other suggestions are a bit off base - for example, Metro apps are deliberately designed to work full screen, snapped or a combination and Microsoft couldn't simply allow users to resize them or snap multiple apps together without making app development considerably more difficult and less predictable. Certainly it would be possible to have a scaled down version behave like a normal app on the desktop but that would be even more inconsistent - I'd rather they improved the app switching method.

My list would be as follows:

1) Allow Aero Snap on multi-monitor systems. If you have a Metro app pinned to the side of your screen then you can Aero Snap to that side but you can't without it (you have to use the keyboard shortcut Win+Arrow). It's illogical.

2) On the Start screen it should automatically show the All Apps feature, rather than requiring you to right click. There should also be a Settings option (ideally from the user tile), rather than using the Charm bar.

3) Have screensavers appear over snapped Metro apps, as otherwise it's not really "saving" the screen. And make Bubbles use a live desktop image, as it's misleading having the clock show an inaccurate time.

4) Include a quick way to change between sound devices. I use Soundswitch to switch between my speakers and the HDMI audio on my connected TV.

5) Make the Metro gradients smooth on the Start screen. I have a 10-bit colour monitor and can see obvious banding.

6) Improve app switching. The left-hand panel app switching is rather clumsy, as is the Charm bar (especially on multi-monitor systems).

7) Rethink the Charm bar. It may work on tablets but it's clumsy and awkward on the desktop.

I'm happy with how Windows 8 is progressing but there's definitely plenty of room for improvement. I'm disappointed that Microsoft still hasn't introduced a scalable interface, despite making accommodations for high DPI displays with Metro. Apple is about to introduce 200+ DPI support for OSX and yet Microsoft seems to have ignored that for the desktop. There were rumours dating back to Vista that Microsoft would be moving to a vector based interface but that just hasn't materialised.

I would add this:

Make a control that will mimic start screen behavior.

Here is how I mean it. Start screen has two great behaviors: push scrolling and semantic zoom. Adding them to apps will greatly improve their usability. Take a look at Store. It has no push scrolling nor semantic zoom. It would be great if it would have it.

• Like 2

I would add this:

Make a control that will mimic start screen behavior.

Here is how I mean it. Start screen has two great behaviors: push scrolling and semantic zoom. Adding them to apps will greatly improve their usability. Take a look at Store. It has no push scrolling nor semantic zoom. It would be great if it would have it.

Somehow I think that will all be available around RC or RTM, if not, it should because it's a great idea

• 1 month later...

I agree with many of the items on the list. For instance, why does clicking on the network icon on the desktop bring up a Metro interface element? That doesn't happen when you click on the speaker icon or the clock. And there is definitely a need for a Metro version of Explorer, as Microsoft is being naive to believe that the inter-app sharing will be enough for power-users. The idea of a power-app is sensible and even if Microsoft doesn't do it themselves I imagine that - providing that the framework allows it - somebody else will implement that. The Start button is a tricky one, as providing an option to enable will lead to many users doing that and the Win8 experience will become very fractured - that's why the traditional Start Menu has been removed altogether. However, some of the other suggestions are a bit off base - for example, Metro apps are deliberately designed to work full screen, snapped or a combination and Microsoft couldn't simply allow users to resize them or snap multiple apps together without making app development considerably more difficult and less predictable. Certainly it would be possible to have a scaled down version behave like a normal app on the desktop but that would be even more inconsistent - I'd rather they improved the app switching method.

My list would be as follows:

1) Allow Aero Snap on multi-monitor systems. If you have a Metro app pinned to the side of your screen then you can Aero Snap to that side but you can't without it (you have to use the keyboard shortcut Win+Arrow). It's illogical.

2) On the Start screen it should automatically show the All Apps feature, rather than requiring you to right click. There should also be a Settings option (ideally from the user tile), rather than using the Charm bar.

3) Have screensavers appear over snapped Metro apps, as otherwise it's not really "saving" the screen. And make Bubbles use a live desktop image, as it's misleading having the clock show an inaccurate time.

4) Include a quick way to change between sound devices. I use Soundswitch to switch between my speakers and the HDMI audio on my connected TV.

5) Make the Metro gradients smooth on the Start screen. I have a 10-bit colour monitor and can see obvious banding.

6) Improve app switching. The left-hand panel app switching is rather clumsy, as is the Charm bar (especially on multi-monitor systems).

7) Rethink the Charm bar. It may work on tablets but it's clumsy and awkward on the desktop.

I'm happy with how Windows 8 is progressing but there's definitely plenty of room for improvement. I'm disappointed that Microsoft still hasn't introduced a scalable interface, despite making accommodations for high DPI displays with Metro. Apple is about to introduce 200+ DPI support for OSX and yet Microsoft seems to have ignored that for the desktop. There were rumours dating back to Vista that Microsoft would be moving to a vector based interface but that just hasn't materialised.

Great list! I really like the idea of the All App feature. Yeah, even a Tile could do the trick. And regarding the "quick way to change devices", I don't know if you knew, but if you click the sound icon, and then click the speaker or HDMI icon above the meter and you can quickly change between output devices (when there are multiple connected).

Regarding #6 I have to agree. Though Win Key + tab can do the job, they could implement something like small icons to quickly identify the program. I get lost when I try to browse through the open apps. Peeking would be a great feature!

Also, after having maxed out 9 apps, any other you chose to open will close another one in the background, because it does not allow running more than 9 (excluding the start screen hot corner).

With #7, they really should do something about it. It sometimes gets in the way, and is almost impossible to use when using extended monitors.

And regarding the "quick way to change devices", I don't know if you knew, but if you click the sound icon, and then click the speaker or HDMI icon above the meter and you can quickly change between output devices (when there are multiple connected).

All that does for me is bring up the properties for that device. The quickest way I've found to do it is to right-click the speaker, select Playback Devices, select the device and click Set Default - it's not exactly convenient.

With #7, they really should do something about it. It sometimes gets in the way, and is almost impossible to use when using extended monitors.

I imagine that the Charm bar will change for the Release Preview, as it is currently to easy to accidentally trigger it - it will often appear when you go to use Aero Peek or the speaker icon. The only time I ever use it is to shut down my computer. If Microsoft simply moved that to the Metro start screen (for instance, to the user tile) then they could disable it by default for non-touch displays. As I've said, I really like Windows 8 but the Charm bar and hot-corners don't really work well, especially on multi-monitor systems.

I imagine that the Charm bar will change for the Release Preview, as it is currently to easy to accidentally trigger it - it will often appear when you go to use Aero Peek or the speaker icon. The only time I ever use it is to shut down my computer. If Microsoft simply moved that to the Metro start screen (for instance, to the user tile) then they could disable it by default for non-touch displays. As I've said, I really like Windows 8 but the Charm bar and hot-corners don't really work well, especially on multi-monitor systems.

You are completely out of your mind. The charm bar is an essential part of Windows 8, you use it everytime, especially on metro apps. But it's also very usefull on the desktop, there won't be an option to disable it.

Honestly, not sure if this has been said, but in a multi-monitor setup, have the hot corners appear on the edges of the end monitors.

Honestly, not sure if this has been said, but in a multi-monitor setup, have the hot corners appear on the edges of the end monitors.

Nope. It hasn't be said! :). It must be implemented in some way. Let's see how Release Preview goes.

Nope. It hasn't be said! :). It must be implemented in some way. Let's see how Release Preview goes.

Nah, that would make too much sense! No way would Microsoft would do something like that. :shifty:

You are completely out of your mind. The charm bar is an essential part of Windows 8, you use it everytime, especially on metro apps. But it's also very usefull on the desktop, there won't be an option to disable it.

I don't think it's fair to say that I'm "out of my mind" when Microsoft has been making radical changes to the interface (just compare the Developer Preview to the Consumer Preview) and is still actively responding to user feedback. I mean, how often do you actually use the charm bar? The only time I ever use it is to shut-down my computer and even then there are keyboard shortcuts and I can use the button on my case. The charm bar serves no purpose on the desktop - only on a tablet. And Metro apps barely make use of it. There's no reason that Microsoft couldn't simply change it so that the charm bar appears when you right-click in Metro apps (afterall, there is no right-click for touch) - they could then remove the charm bar on the desktop, which would get rid of the issue with multi-monitor setups. The issues with multi-monitor setups impacts everyday computer usage, whereas the Charm bar itself is rarely needed.

As for the idea of moving the hot-corners to the far edge of multi-monitors, that really wouldn't work well for my setup. My second display is a HDTV at a 90 degree angle to my main monitor, which is used entirely for media consumption - having the charm bar appear on it would be highly impractical. It still makes more sense to have it on the primary display.

As for the idea of moving the hot-corners to the far edge of multi-monitors, that really wouldn't work well for my setup. My second display is a HDTV at a 90 degree angle to my main monitor, which is used entirely for media consumption - having the charm bar appear on it would be highly impractical. It still makes more sense to have it on the primary display.

Maybe they could have a switch to choose center, or end monitors. The feeling I get from Windows 8, it seems it would be better workflow to have the corners follow out to the end monitors. It would be nice to have the Start screen extend on all two or all three monitors.

Basically, the monitors all act in unison as one big monitor instead of three daisy chained together.

I don't think it's fair to say that I'm "out of my mind" when Microsoft has been making radical changes to the interface (just compare the Developer Preview to the Consumer Preview) and is still actively responding to user feedback. I mean, how often do you actually use the charm bar? The only time I ever use it is to shut-down my computer and even then there are keyboard shortcuts and I can use the button on my case. The charm bar serves no purpose on the desktop - only on a tablet. And Metro apps barely make use of it. There's no reason that Microsoft couldn't simply change it so that the charm bar appears when you right-click in Metro apps (afterall, there is no right-click for touch) - they could then remove the charm bar on the desktop, which would get rid of the issue with multi-monitor setups. The issues with multi-monitor setups impacts everyday computer usage, whereas the Charm bar itself is rarely needed.

I'm using the charm bar all the time! On metro apps but also on the start screen and the desktop (try to use search on the desktop).

Saying that a right click should bring the charm bar inside the metro apps just confirms what I said : You are out of your mind. The right click opens the app-bar which is something completely different.

• 2 weeks later...