• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Has Apple Lost The Plot?

Crazysah    7
Loss of Jobs is probably terminal

Although I hate to say it, Apple is really screwed without Steve Jobs. Since he passed on to the great Apple Store in the sky his outfit really has been struggling to come up with anything really new. This week it was the iPad 3, er no it wasn't it was the iPad HD, I mean the new iPad.

It was more expensive and had the sort of high res screen which should have been in the iPad 2. Not bad, but really not worth the difference in price between that and the old one. It might attract those who have not bought an iPad before but early reviews suggest that those who own an iPad 2 can't be bothered buying a new one.

The new iPad?s problem is that its 4G phone technology will not work anywhere other than in a small part of the known world. So really all anyone will be buying it for is to watch HD content on their laps on a small screen. I have played with an iPad and it is not the best thing to watch anything on. It is too heavy to hold upright and it needs a stand to watch video unless you want a cricked neck. True it is handy for long flights, and it is not a bad e-reader, although I prefer e-ink versions, but not worth splashing out large amounts of dosh for. To make matters worse the iPad HD is thicker to cope with its extra graphics potential.

Does this sound familiar? It should, this is exactly what I said about the iPhone 4S. Like the new iPad it was identical to its predecessor. True it fixed many of the flaws that the iPhone 4 had but it looked the same. It also had a slightly better chip, not that anyone would have noticed. All the iPhone 4S which was different was the voice activated search gadget Siri. If you were trying to use the phone outside the US you would find that Siri did not work because Apple could not be bothered installing local maps and businesses. [And if you happen to speak English with a thick accent it doesn?t work, not to mention a few billion people don't speak English at all. Ed] It also had some annoying neo-conservative quirks which prevented it from telling people where abortion clinics were, but did list pro-life groups.

What Apple expected was that its fanboys would queue for these practically identical products a year after they shipped the originals. In the old days they might have done. Jobs somehow managed to convince them whatever turd with an Apple logo on was a cure for cancer. He was also able to obscure some of Apple's more dodgy manufacturing procedures and back room deals. For ages we have been writing about conditions in Apple plants in China where staff are so miserable about making Jobs' toys of joy that they have been exiting the company via the roof. There were few comments from the mainstream press and the reporting that happened was mostly comments from Apple saying that everything was wonderful there really.

However after Jobs' death, the New York Times, which had been acting as his unpaid press office, suddenly starts running anti-Foxconn stories. Suddenly it seems that a crisis blew out of nowhere and Apple was forced to investigate. The Times would have known about Foxconn before Jobs' death but did not seem ready to crusade against it until he passed on. The same is true of other mainstream media, major cable news networks and even comics such as Jon Stewart picked up the issue in front of a gasping live audience, which clearly wasn?t following Fudzilla. This week another one of Jobs' less savory deals was brought to light by the Department of Justice. It seems that Jobs organised the publishing companies to jack the prices up on ebooks. He knew that this would put users out, but he did not care because it earned him and his new chums in the publishing industry more dosh. Again he got away with this because as far as the press and the DoJ was concerned he was untouchable.

This get out of jail free card has not been extended to his successor, Tim Cook. Cook is doing a good job, he even does his best to mimic Jobs' presentation style, the problem is that he is the guy who is seeing all Apple's chickens come home to roost and he has not been the one who has seen much in the way of new innovation. So far Apple is depending on the hype wagon that Jobs started, but there are signs that is not going to be enough in the future. When fanboys start saying ?you know my iPhone 4 or iPad 2 is OK? you know something is going wrong.

There will be those who will point to the fact that Apple's financials are still going through the roof. I can't really see, short of Apple finding new markets for its expensive toys, how those profits are sustainable. Share prices are always betting that the company is going to make more profits in the future, but at the moment Cook appears to be treading water as far as gadgets are concerned.

He desperately needs a new iPad or iPhone or something that really is a ?game changer? to save Apple in the long term. If he keeps serving up the same products and telling people they are ?game changers? pretty soon they will stop believing him. My prediction is that unless something happens to Apple in the next year, the shine is going to go from the shiny toys maker and it is going to be rapidly outclassed by its much cheaper Android rivals. In fact, Apple?s only trump card for the time being is Google?s constant ****-ups with Android updates and fragmentation, and let?s not forget that Windows 8 is also on the way.

Looking at Jobs I don't think he would really mind. Someone who was as narcissistic and unpleasant would smugly feel happy that the company could not really do without him.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26255-apple-has-lost-the-plot

This article just seriously ****ed me off. What do you think?

Crazysah

Miuku.    364

It's Fudzilla, he makes controversial articles to get more clicks -> more ad revenue.

ILikeTobacco    839

It's Fudzilla, he makes controversial articles to get more clicks -> more ad revenue.

No it is true. It is the year of Linux remember.

• Like 7

ctebah    3,161

I don't understand, the article states this

It was more expensive and had the sort of high res screen which should have been in the iPad 2. Not bad, but really not worth the difference in price between that and the old one
, and yet I thought it was the same price as the old one.

Call me crazy, but a tablet which has 4g, much better screen, costs the same and has the same battery life, how can it NOT be worth it?

Astra.Xtreme    2,865

People will go to great lengths to mock anything and everything Apple puts on the market.

The article starts off on a terrible foot by saying the new iPad is more expensive... Umm, no it's not...

The retina should have been in the iPad 2? Why?

It's thicker? Barely... So what?

They took the iPad 2, which is already arguably better than the rest of the market, and made the new one even better. This basically pushes them miles ahead of the competition.

It's sad that people expect Apple to come out with a product that's 100% revolutionary. Perhaps this one should be 3D with hologram projectors?...

Maybe people should start pressuring the competition to step up for once and compete...

Charisma    2,399

I think it's fairly accurate, to be honest. Didn't we all know that it wasn't going to be the same without Jobs around?

• Like 2

Rudy    457

By looking at how hard it was for people to preorder the new iPad I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Apple is going to be just fine

ctebah    3,161

and on top of it all, they took the iPad 2 and made it cheaper. That will put some strain on adroid tablets for sure.

articuno1au    1,264

Fairly strongly anti-Mac here, but I think this article is pretty much rubbish.

It's pricing is similar, for this you get a better screen, processor and (possibly) better wireless performance.

I also think that Jobs hasn't been dead for long enough to decide how Apple will perform without him.

FUD from fudzilla. Shock horror >.<

johndotcom83    4

wow, if you haven't figured out apple's strategy by now then you are lost, and they can get away with this since they hold the market lead

1. make new product, which makes competitors chase those features for a year, meanwhile your working on the next 2 generations of said product.

2.next year, release new version of product that has exceeded what the competitors have come out with, with a few new surprised you think the competition is leading towards.

3.repeat step 2

if you look at the ipod, iphone, and ipad, they all follow this

firey    4,136

Jobs somehow managed to convince them whatever turd with an Apple logo on was a cure for cancer.

Well, he also showed us.. that if they cure cancer they do a horrible job at it.

wow, if you haven't figured out apple's strategy by now then you are lost, and they can get away with this since they hold the market lead

1. make new product, which makes competitors chase those features for a year, meanwhile your working on the next 2 generations of said product.

2.next year, release new version of product that has exceeded what the competitors have come out with, with a few new surprised you think the competition is leading towards.

3.repeat step 2

if you look at the ipod, iphone, and ipad, they all follow this

Yea, and if any of said competition makes something better than what you have planned.. or is on par.. sue them and stop them from selling it.

• Like 1

Brian Miller    1,650
  • Like 5

Astra.Xtreme    2,865

Yea, and if any of said competition makes something better than what you have planned.. or is on par.. sue them and stop them from selling it.

Umm... you forgot about a little thing called "patent infringement". No need to troll...

iKenndac    98

I find all the whining about the name (such as the video two posts above this one) ridiculous.

More or less every single Apple product bar the iPhone and iPad has shared the exact same name though multiple generations. I have an 11th-generation iMac. Is it iMac 11 or iMac 8S? No, it's just iMac. All their computers, all their iPods and now iPad is the same. Why is it so hard to understand?

• Like 3

firey    4,136

Umm... you forgot about a little thing called "patent infringement". No need to troll...

Not trolling, I'm being srs. And patent infringment on "lock screens" or a "home button" are ridiculous. Or "Their tablet looks kinda sort maybe a bit like ours.. they shouldn't be able to sell it" or "Their product is called banana.. that is a fruit.. our company is a fruit.. customers could get confused.. stop them!"

I find all the whining about the name (such as the video two posts above this one) ridiculous.

More or less every single Apple product bar the iPhone and iPad has shared the exact same name though multiple generations. I have an 11th-generation iMac. Is it iMac 11 or iMac 8S? No, it's just iMac. All their computers, all their iPods and now iPad is the same. Why is it so hard to understand?

Uhm.. the iPods atleast the touch's follow number. iPod Touch 1g, 2g, 3g, 4g

Astra.Xtreme    2,865

Not trolling, I'm being srs. And patent infringment on "lock screens" or a "home button" are ridiculous. Or "Their tablet looks kinda sort maybe a bit like ours.. they shouldn't be able to sell it" or "Their product is called banana.. that is a fruit.. our company is a fruit.. customers could get confused.. stop them!"

How is that Apple's fault? They own the patent, so they have every right to defend it.

It's the patent office you should complaining to.

rajputwarrior    280

Uhm.. the iPods atleast the touch's follow number. iPod Touch 1g, 2g, 3g, 4g

1g, 2g, 3g is the internal name. no where on apple's site or on their packaging does it say what generation it is. it's just an ipod touch. just like an ipod nano has and always will be an ipod nano. i don't get why it's hard to people to comprehend the name "ipad"

firey    4,136

How is that Apple's fault? They own the patent, so they have every right to defend it.

It's the patent office you should complaining to.

Oh, I'm not complaining, I couldn't care what apple does lol. I have a playbook and it's still awesome regardless of what apple does. I'm just saying you can't praise them for being ahead of the game, or being smarter than everyone else, when they make themselves better though legal action.

• Like 1

xWhiplash    349

Did we get a completely different product going from iPad 1 to iPad 2? Why do people expect it to happen with the new iPad?

This happens with anything in technology. Same product line, you update it and have better specs. Yes sometimes you change the design (iPhone 3S to 4). But they will not do that every year.

Honestly, what did people expect? 15 inch screen version? 7 inch screen version?

game_over    802

Its way too early to see how Apple will function without Jobs. They would have product release forecasts for the next 3-5 years, if not further beyond.

If any other products do take market share it will be for factors such as price, the iphone and ipad will always be the most sought after device... maybe not with the geeks of Neowin, but the general consumer all want Apple, because of this they will continue to grow for many years.

This guy is clearly anti apple.

Astra.Xtreme    2,865

Oh, I'm not complaining, I couldn't care what apple does lol. I have a playbook and it's still awesome regardless of what apple does. I'm just saying you can't praise them for being ahead of the game, or being smarter than everyone else, when they make themselves better though legal action.

I don't think they've really made themselves better from the legal suits, haha. They haven't won many, so it was probably a financial loss to them overall. If anything, they just gained a huge crowd of people that despise them even more.

firey    4,136

I don't think they've really made themselves better from the legal suits, haha. They haven't won many, so it was probably a financial loss to them overall. If anything, they just gained a huge crowd of people that despise them even more.

They have prevented quite a few tablets from being made and sold, companies are getting a lot more cautious when releasing a product, and cautious about advancing what they make. Even though apple may have lost some of their huge payout related cases, they have still made a mark on the market.

PyX    140

So much for a new naming scheme :

- What computer is this ? A MacBook Air 6 ?

- No. There is no MacBook Air 6 and there has never been a MacBook Air 6. People just call it MacBook Air. Same for every Mac hardware product since a long time, except the iPhone and iPad.

Calling the new iPad "iPad" is basically respecting their standard naming scheme at Apple. If you want to specify which version it is, you?ll have to say "iPad Early 2012", just like "MacBook Air Early 2011".

xWhiplash    349

So much for a new naming scheme :

- What computer is this ? A MacBook Air 6 ?

- No. There is no MacBook Air 6 and there has never been a MacBook Air 6. People just call it MacBook Air. Same for every Mac hardware product since a long time, except the iPhone and iPad.

Calling the new iPad "iPad" is basically respecting their standard naming scheme at Apple. If you want to specify which version it is, you?ll have to say "iPad Early 2012", just like "MacBook Air Early 2011".

I agree. There is no iPod 4. Yes the full name is iPod 4th Generation. But they do not list it as iPod 4.

I have a Mac Pro. I do not have a Mac Pro 7.