• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Has Apple Lost The Plot?

Stetson    180

Why do people/news-sites insist on calling "The New iPad" like that's its formal name? It's just the iPad. The third generation one.

When you put one in your cart on Apple.com it shows up like this:

iPad with Wi-Fi 16GB - White (3rd generation)

This is the image that is currently at the top of the Macbook Pro product page:

overview_title20110224.png

chrispinto    12

Mid 2011 iMac

Early 2012 iPad

whats the problem?

Rudy    457

Mid 2011 iMac

Early 2012 iPad

whats the problem?

The only problem I see is that I want to see an Early 2012 iMac :(

OOOOOOOO    192

I find all the whining about the name (such as the video two posts above this one) ridiculous.

More or less every single Apple product bar the iPhone and iPad has shared the exact same name though multiple generations. I have an 11th-generation iMac. Is it iMac 11 or iMac 8S? No, it's just iMac. All their computers, all their iPods and now iPad is the same. Why is it so hard to understand?

Because at least 50% of the entire adult internet user base has a seriously low mental capacity. :)

Miuku.    364
Yea, and if any of said competition makes something better than what you have planned.. or is on par.. sue them and stop them from selling it.

I find this comment exceedingly hilarious considering you're using Microsoft products. Oh wait, you're too young to actually know any history - my mistake.

Admiral Gilgamesh    0

While I was disappointed with the iPad's new specifications, I don't think Apple is lost; it's all part of the plan. If you look at it Apple hasn't come up original items in a long time (based on the item) but they continue to sell

• The iMac hasn't undergone a major redesign since the polycarbonite version
  • The Mac Pro hasn't changed in eons
  • The MacBook has held the same basic design not counting the Air
  • OS X has had the same underpinnings since 2001
  • The iPhone has essentially been the same since 2007
  • The iPod, probably the quintessential example, has had the same click-wheel since 2001.

Now, does this make any of these products bad? Of course not! I just don't think that Apple has to make the most amazingly-insanely different product to compete (even though I was not impressed with this recent revision)

bjoswald    210

Of course they have. Jobs is dead. Cut off the head and the body will die.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with when they run out of Jobs' ideas.

• Like 2

Tech Star    254

What a shi*ty article. Everyone thinks that since Jobs is gone Apple is going to go to hell, when its the total opposite. Jobs laid out a plan FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS! This is all going to plan and if anyone thinks otherwise, they are just trying to pick at Apple because its "cool" to do so.

Also, Steve was not perfect during his run as CEO. He made mistakes too.

Admiral Gilgamesh    0

Also, Steve was not perfect during his run as CEO. He made mistakes too.

Cough cough iTools cough cough.

Just to name one. :p

PyX    140

Even if you?re not really bashing Apple or anything, just to mention a few things :

The iMac hasn't undergone a major redesign since the polycarbonite version

The Mac Pro hasn't changed in eons

The MacBook has held the same basic design not counting the Air

I think it?s fair to say that we are attaining perfection in terms of design. It?s hard to revolutionize that domain anymore when we look at this gorgeous hardware.

OS X has had the same underpinnings since 2001

Yeah. It looks the same basically. But they do include revolutionary features every now and then (Time Machine, Versions, ?). I agree that it hasn?t changed a lot though, but then again, I don?t know how they can come up with a true revolution this time. Even Windows 8 isn?t what I would call a revolution, it?s just a repackaged solution. All it does is bring the touch interfaces to a new level for Windows.

The iPhone has essentially been the same since 2007

5 years hasn?t been a long time in terms of "inventors" or "engineers". They did come up with a few surprises like the Retina Display. Then again, I don?t know what to expect from these devices anymore. There?s little place for useful innovation.

The iPod, probably the quintessential example, has had the same click-wheel since 2001.

Here?s where I disagree completely with you. They did a revolution there with bringing a touch interface to iPods and nanos, that were meant to fully replace the clickwheel iPods.

By the way : when Steve Jobs died, he left Apple with the equivalent of 4-5 years of new products and ideas. So bashing the new iPad here, accusing Jobs? death, doesn?t make sense at all.

.Neo    1,834
Although I hate to say it, Apple is really screwed without Steve Jobs. Since he passed on to the great Apple Store in the sky his outfit really has been struggling to come up with anything really new. This week it was the iPad 3, er no it wasn't it was the iPad HD, I mean the new iPad.

Stopped reading right there. This alone proofs the writers is pretty much ignorant as to how companies operate and how products are being developed. Does he really think the new iPad or other products that will be released this year materialized in those few months since Steve Job's passing? Think again. It's going to be years from now before Apple will develop something Steve Jobs hasn't been involved with.

This fact alone sweeps away his theory that Steve Jobs' death has something to do with anything.

Admiral Gilgamesh    0

Here?s where I disagree completely with you. They did a revolution there with bringing a touch interface to iPods and nanos, that were meant to fully replace the clickwheel iPods.

By the way : when Steve Jobs died, he left Apple with the equivalent of 4-5 years of new products and ideas. So bashing the new iPad here, accusing Jobs? death, doesn?t make sense at all.

Well I was speaking in terms of the iPod Classic which continues to sell. But no I completely agree. I was only highlighting these products to their extremes. Of course we all know they've changed in their own way gradually over time, JUST like the iPad!

These articles are pure rubbish; meant only to excite people.

Nevertheless I wasn't that impressed by the new features. I'm sure the screen is gorgeous though; that is a CRAZY resolution. :p

Gaffney    146

What apple did right.

- creating features for the ipod by creating a massive music service.

- marketing the ipod very very well.

- creating a lot of good things coming off from it, mainly the iphone and itouch, keeping the hardware miles ahead of everyone else.

- creating an app service, just as good an achievement as the music service.

What have they done since then? The hardware was the clear leader for years, but in the past few years it's fell behind. It can no longer claim to be the best phone, still made a lot of progress but everyone else has caught up. No major hardware improvements and no major service improvements in years. How long can apple really survive off the four things listed above that put them ahead of everyone else for years?

The ipad 3 is really just going to keep the current pace going, they are still way ahead of everyone in the tablet sector. But the other companies have picked up the pace, the ipad will be taken over soon. My bet would be the windows 8 tablets.

Raa    1,590

Quite frankly, I think it's spot on.

PyX    140

Nevertheless I wasn't that impressed by the new features. I'm sure the screen is gorgeous though; that is a CRAZY resolution. :p

Yeah, I get what you mean. We could have guessed what they were going to introduce based on other products like the iPhone.

The new iPad is a natural transition from the iPad 2 to something better. The same thing was done with the iPhone 4S. It?s a cool product, but we didn?t have the effect of surprise.

44MLX    58

I wanted the new iPad.

Vice    1,593

Steve Jobs knew all about the iPad 3 before he died. If you read his biography it's made pretty clear that he was privy to the next 2-3 generations of the iPhone and iPad. Of course they won't end up exactly how he knew them but expect things like names and main features (like the retina display in the iPad 3) to already be known to him and he would have signed off on them before he died.

So people saying Apple has lost the plot without Steve Jobs are just misinformed. And where does this "The iPad 3 costs more than the iPad 2" thing come from? Costs the exact same. I'm referring specifically to this quote "It was more expensive and had the sort of high res screen which should have been in the iPad 2." That is just plain incorrect.

.Neo    1,834

Quite frankly, I think it's spot on.

Good to know you actually think Apple waited with developing 2012's product line until October 2011. Says everything really.

bjoswald    210

I want an iPad and an iPhone. Always have, always will. :(

remixedcat    2,767

Thing is they used to have a server market. They backed out of making server hardware (Xserve) and they will not allow hypervisors. so that leaves them out of cloud hosting services industry. They are depreciating thier mac pros, they made the mistakes with final cut pro and bascially neglected the creative market.

+LogicalApex    1,747

I didn't even read this nonesense fully... The first couple of lines stopped me...

Complaining that the iPad offers nothing revolutionary so Apple is all **** brained without jobs? Really. I guess he missed everything since the iPhone drop in 2007?

Apple has always done a major release then a minor release on its yearly refresh cycle. Hence why we have the iPhone "4S" which was made while Jobs was alive or the iPhone "3S" that was made, again, when Jobs was alive.

This is typical Apple... Even a blind and death rat that lives in a leaky cave knows this!

bangbang023    31

Why do people keep saying it's more expensive? It's the same price as both previous iPad models at launch.

Salutary7    67

The article is clearly trolling. The real question is how good can it get? Analysts laughed at the idea of a 2048x1536 display when rumors first surfaced. They were also skeptical about battery life over 4G networks. Apple will continue to produce premium products at price points that no other manufacturer can compete with. And now that they make tens of billions per quarter in revenue, it's hard to see that they'd ever stop innovating.

ryan adil    0

No

Lachlan    47

I don't understand, the article states this

, and yet I thought it was the same price as the old one.

Call me crazy, but a tablet which has 4g, much better screen, costs the same and has the same battery life, how can it NOT be worth it?

LOL at people like you.. Apple holds the price the same for a reason.. is so when the new one comes out its seen as the same price as the old one was.. but realistically the Ipad 2 is $399 now.. he is saying the difference between the ipad 2 and 3 is not worth it at all unless you have 4g in your area which only like 5% of the worlds population have.. So 100 dollars more for a higher definition screen is what it comes down to.. and the better graphics in the new one is pretty much going to just compensate for the massive amount of pixels on it.. its like having a laptop that has 1366x766 with intel 3000 .. and then upgrading to 1900x1080 with a Geforce 540m.. they cancel eachother out if you want to keep the resolution at 1080p..

So will you pay 100 dollars to have a better looking screen.. its your choice but he is saying not as many as when the ipad 2 came out vs the ipad 1