• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Has Apple Lost The Plot?

Vice    1,593
So will you pay 100 dollars to have a better looking screen.. its your choice but he is saying not as many as when the ipad 2 came out vs the ipad 1

The difference between the iPad 1 and 2 was a different back case that made it a bit thinner and lighter and a dual core CPU. That's pretty much the only useful changes. It wasn't revolutionary. And the iPad 3 brings a better display which I'd say is worth more than the updated physical design that the iPad 1 to iPad 2 got.

I own an iPad 2, I won't be upgrading but if I was buying a brand new one today without already owning an iPad I'd definitely get the iPad 3 that retina display will be gorgeous.

• Like 1

Lachlan    47

The difference between the iPad 1 and 2 was a different back case that made it a bit thinner and lighter and a dual core CPU. That's pretty much the only useful changes. It wasn't revolutionary. And the iPad 3 brings a better display which I'd say is worth more than the updated physical design that the iPad 1 to iPad 2 got.

I own an iPad 2, I won't be upgrading but if I was buying a brand new one today without already owning an iPad I'd definitely get the iPad 3 that retina display will be gorgeous.

see but if you had an ipad 1 right now you would have to upgrade with its single core and 256mb of ram now at quad core graphics and 1gb of ram .. I am not saying it wont be a gorgeous screen and that it will not sell well .. I just dont see people going as crazy for this one considering its just a screen which is also heavier and thicker.. artists and others will go crazy for this one but I think it has left a rather large group out in the cold that are a bit dissapointed since you cant even watch movies in that resolution.. are people going to copy and paste their blurays to it ? or stream HD onto the ipad? I just think its a pretty silly standard they set where as even 1080p would be gorgeous but not be over the top..

Its just times like this I see apples inventiveness slowing.. they are turning into a company just based on specs with resolution this and quad core graphics that.. where is the innovation that people will have trouble copying.. Samsung will have a tablet out within 6 months with better specs guaranteed.. and all the new features are just bought from other companies..

Even the stuff blackberry is doing with the playbook is more innovative by using their phones as remotes and dnla sharing between devices.. and that RIM which is a dying company.. If you just look at them their stock has fallen 80% in 1 year and apple is in the same boat by just sticking to its standard products with nothing new at all.

Vice    1,593

see but if you had an ipad 1 right now you would have to upgrade with its single core and 256mb of ram now at quad core graphics and 1gb of ram .. I am not saying it wont be a gorgeous screen and that it will not sell well .. I just dont see people going as crazy for this one considering its just a screen which is also heavier and thicker.. artists and others will go crazy for this one but I think it has left a rather large group out in the cold that are a bit dissapointed since you cant even watch movies in that resolution.. are people going to copy and paste their blurays to it ? or stream HD onto the ipad? I just think its a pretty silly standard they set where as even 1080p would be gorgeous but not be over the top..

Its just times like this I see apples inventiveness slowing.. they are turning into a company just based on specs with resolution this and quad core graphics that.. where is the innovation that people will have trouble copying.. Samsung will have a tablet out within 6 months with better specs guaranteed.. and all the new features are just bought from other companies..

Even the stuff blackberry is doing with the playbook is more innovative by using their phones as remotes and dnla sharing between devices.. and that RIM which is a dying company.. If you just look at them their stock has fallen 80% in 1 year and apple is in the same boat by just sticking to its standard products with nothing new at all.

iPad 3 will be a sell out and sell more units than the iPad 2 did. I guarantee that.

UndergroundWire    49

The guy doesn't get it at all. Apple did something remarkable with their announcement. No they didn?t bring a huge upgrade to the world but they did kill the competition with the announcement of two desired products. First the naming of the "iPad 3 / iPad HD" to "New iPad" is great. It gets the Apple fanboys to upgrade their device to a "New" device. These are the people that Apple is initially targeting with the new device. This name was perfect (physiologically speaking of course). ?I don?t want old, I WANT ?NEW??!

Second, Apple announced that they will continue the iPad 2 line. However, it will be at a reduced price. What this did exactly is two things. Number 1 it will bring people who always wanted an iPad but didn't want to spend $499. But at $399 that is a different story. It?s time to reconsider. Second, this will convince people who were looking at any tablet other than Apple's to now reconsider and buy an Apple device. The fact is that Apple continuing to sell the iPad 2 will basically kill the competition. Android will struggle and whenever Windows 8 makes its debut it will have more trouble than Android. How can the competition match that price of $399 of a product that is most desired?

Lastly, the continuation of the iPad 2 line offsets the delay of the New iPad running out in stores on opening day. Sure the majority of the New iPad sales will mostly come from people who bought Apple products in the past. This is why Apple does really well with their products in the first quarter of the release of their products but doesn?t see the same growth in the other three quarters. However, other people will buy the iPad 2 and just say to themselves that the iPad 2 is just as good and will buy it because the price is right.

But hey, this guy needs the clicks to get responses for his dumb views.

Scutley    129

People will go to great lengths to mock anything and everything Apple puts on the market.

The article starts off on a terrible foot by saying the new iPad is more expensive... Umm, no it's not...

The retina should have been in the iPad 2? Why?

It's thicker? Barely... So what?

They took the iPad 2, which is already arguably better than the rest of the market, and made the new one even better. This basically pushes them miles ahead of the competition.

It's sad that people expect Apple to come out with a product that's 100% revolutionary. Perhaps this one should be 3D with hologram projectors?...

Maybe people should start pressuring the competition to step up for once and compete...

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?afid=p219%7CGOUS&cid=AOS-US-KWG

The IPad 2 is starting from $399.00+

The New IPad is starting from 499.00+

Thats $100.00 more. That to me is a lot more money and more expensive. To me you are going to get the same thing basically, but you are only getting a better picture, and a 4G network which other tablets already have, and the the IPad 2 should have but it doesn't. The reason that is, because Apple knew they would be making another product in 6 months that would have 4G so Apple lover's can love it. This article is correct. If Apple keeps making a new IPhone every 6 months or a new IPad every 6 months people will start to catch on and won't be so impressed. It just a matter of time.

Why do people keep saying it's more expensive? It's the same price as both previous iPad models at launch.

but people don't want to keep paying that much money for a new device over and over again that is that expensive every 6 months. That has only a few "new" features that other tablets that are not Apple (which Apple lover's don't see) already have.

Lachlan    47

iPad 3 will be a sell out and sell more units than the iPad 2 did. I guarantee that.

ok.. i love how i just say how i have an opinion but you will guarantee they will sell more then like 60 million ipad 2s.. i was just saying that I think it will be different then when the ipad 2 was released and everyone just got the new one..people will still buy the ipad 2 alot

Hitman2000    16

Im not sure what to make of the article.

Im just amazed that everyone is really getting into this ipad/tablet mania (even with win8 and the whole metro thing is made with tablets in mind, and ruins the desktop experience for me, but thats a story for another thread)

Personally for me I find i can do everything on my smartphone, and the remainder on my laptop, i dont see where ipad/tablet fits in but gotta give credit to apple for making a market out of it.

.Neo    1,834
they made the mistakes with final cut pro and bascially neglected the creative market.

Apple made a bold move rewriting 20-yo software that was plagued by stability issues, a dated interface and didn't utilize today's hardware to its limits. The only mistake Apple made is to pull Final Cut Pro 7 off the market before Final Cut X matured. And remember Steve was still around when this happened, so it has absolutely nothing to do with the article mentioned here.

I agree with you though that Apple is neglecting their pro market on the hardware side of things. The Mac Pro hasn't seen a real upgrade since I bought mine back in 2009. The base Mac Pro that was released in 2010 (and still being sold today) was only a fraction faster and in terms of raw processing speed outpaced by my current 2010 iMac.

It's astonishing to see they're still asking a minimum of ?2400 for 2010 hardware.

ahhell    1,303

It's astonishing to see they're still asking a minimum of ?2400 for 2010 hardware.

What's more astonishing is that people are still willing to pay for it.

.Neo    1,834

What's more astonishing is that people are still willing to pay for it.

I don't see many pro's still buying the Mac Pro. At graphics, tv and production studios all over Amsterdam and Rotterdam (and there are quite a few in those cities) I've seen a major shift from PowerMac/Mac Pro usage to iMacs. I've actually visited three studios who had their own "Hacintosh" up and running for specialized stuff the iMac couldn't handle. My college still bought some Mac Pro's last year to replace some old ones, but only because they didn't have a real alternative.

Stetson    180

http://store.apple.c...&cid=AOS-US-KWG

The IPad 2 is starting from $399.00+

The New IPad is starting from 499.00+

Thats $100.00 more. That to me is a lot more money and more expensive. To me you are going to get the same thing basically, but you are only getting a better picture, and a 4G network which other tablets already have, and the the IPad 2 should have but it doesn't. The reason that is, because Apple knew they would be making another product in 6 months that would have 4G so Apple lover's can love it. This article is correct. If Apple keeps making a new IPhone every 6 months or a new IPad every 6 months people will start to catch on and won't be so impressed. It just a matter of time.

but people don't want to keep paying that much money for a new device over and over again that is that expensive every 6 months. That has only a few "new" features that other tablets that are not Apple (which Apple lover's don't see) already have.

But 3 days ago the iPad 2 was $499. The iPad 3 isn't more expensive, they made the iPad 2 cheaper.

Also, the iPad 2 came out a year ago, not 6 months ago. Which tablets a year ago shipped with LTE? What kind of battery life did they have? I recall that a year ago was about the time that the Xoom launched, which then had to be shipped back at a later date to get the LTE upgrade.

Another thing is that Apple doesn't expect people to upgrade with every device update. That's something that always comes up when an Apple product is released: "This will fail because people who have last year's model won't upgrade". Apple doesn't count on those people to upgrade. They want new customers to buy, and maybe people who have had an older version for two or three years to upgrade.

Of course there are some people who upgrade every year, but they are a very small percentage and it would be silly for Apple to count on them.

Where did the 6 months come from? The iPad has been on a 1 year cycle. The iPhone has historically been on a 1 year cycle but the 4S was actually 18 months after the 4. I think you're confusing Apple with other handset makers who have a new latest-and-greatest model every month.

PyX    140

Apple made a bold move rewriting 20-yo software that was plagued by stability issues, a dated interface and didn't utilize today's hardware to its limits. The only mistake Apple made is to pull Final Cut Pro 7 off the market before Final Cut X matured. And remember Steve was still around when this happened, so it has absolutely nothing to do with the article mentioned here.

The should have mentioned their roadmap ahead the day it was released, and say it out loud directly in the description of the app in the Mac App Store. For an amateur like me, FCPX is thousands of miles ahead of older versions, but Pro users lacked a bunch of things like appropriate Chroma Keying, Multicam, etc. And yes, they should have put FCP7 on the Mac App Store, too, and remove it only when both apps are on par (which means in the beginning of February 2012 I guess).

excalpius    970

Actually, people should realize that Jobs left 5 years of planning that Apple has and will be following. This is still Jobs' plan.

So, if people are truly honest here, they will notice that Apple has "lost the plot" for a few years now, as each iteration of the iPhone and iPad has been less than exciting. They've been incremental improvements at best. And in the case of the iPad, Apple just held back some critical technology (like the camera, which had a hold in the chassis and everything already) just so they'd have something, anything to highlight in the next iteration.

Remember that Steve was JUST a really good salesman. To think he was more than that dooms one to unrealistic expectations for Apple now and in the future.

.Neo    1,834

The should have mentioned their roadmap ahead the day it was released, and say it out loud directly in the description of the app in the Mac App Store. For an amateur like me, FCPX is thousands of miles ahead of older versions, but Pro users lacked a bunch of things like appropriate Chroma Keying, Multicam, etc. And yes, they should have put FCP7 on the Mac App Store, too, and remove it only when both apps are on par (which means in the beginning of February 2012 I guess).

That's exactly why they should have kept offering Final Cut Pro 7 alongside Final Cut Pro X until the latter matures. I think Apple corrected that later on by putting up Final Cut Pro 7 for sale again, not entirely sure though.

OOOOOOOO    192

Quite frankly, I think it's spot on.

You're a very silly person then :)

PyX    140

That's exactly why they should have kept offering Final Cut Pro 7 alongside Final Cut Pro X until the latter matures. I think Apple corrected that later on by putting up Final Cut Pro 7 for sale again, not entirely sure though.

They did. But they should have put it on the App Store, on the same level as FCPX, so that people can compare both apps and reviews. Could have required some work though, I think they were done with this.

While some people waited to see what updates Apple would bring to FCPX, a major problem is, some people upgraded right away only to notice the app lacked a few key features, and some others switched to other video editing apps like Adobe Premiere.

At least, we are done with this?

.Neo    1,834
While some people waited to see what updates Apple would bring to FCPX, a major problem is, some people upgraded right away only to notice the app lacked a few key features, and some others switched to other video editing apps like Adobe Premiere.

Those people should have read because it was obvious from the get go that Final Cut Pro X didn't have all of Final Cut Pro 7's features. I understand Apple for not putting it on the Mac App Store.

paulheu    210

In all honesty, the basic content of the article is true though.. iPhone is not much more than an iPod that can make calls, the iPad is not much more than an iPod with a larger screen.

The iPad now has a more powerfull gfx core.. Great, but all of that power goes into driving the way over the top resolution which is for most people not even distingishable from the previous. It's hype and marketing all around and we have yet to see any true innovation come from Apple.

First handson reviews show the new iPad is at least performance wise on par with the iPad2 if that. It's not the step up the previous model was nomatter how you spin it. And the iPad2 was a catchup to current tech and competion anyway. Apple IMO is much like the internet bubble was.. And if they slip even a bit it'll burst.

.Neo    1,834

In all honesty, the basic content of the article is true though.. iPhone is not much more than an iPod that can make calls, the iPad is not much nmore than an iPod with a larger screen.

You're mixing things up, the iPhone was released before the iPod touch and the whole point was for it to be an iPhone sans mobile network capabilities. That's what people wanted since day one and that's what Apple gave them.

What's the point you're trying to make?

First handson reviews show the new iPad is at least performance wise on par with the iPad2 if that. It's not the step up the previous model was nomatter how you spin it. And the iPad2 was a catchup to current tech and competion anyway. Apple IMO is much like the internet bubble was.. And if they slip even a bit it'll burst.

Which means it still performs better than most (if not all) of the competition. Hell, there's a newly posted article on the front page stating how dissatisfied game developers are with Android. For whatever reason I don't understand why some people feel that Apple needs to have multiple big breakthroughs every single year. It's simply not being realistic.

satukoro    1,350

I don't understand, the article states this

, and yet I thought it was the same price as the old one.

Call me crazy, but a tablet which has 4g, much better screen, costs the same and has the same battery life, how can it NOT be worth it?

If by better screen you mean a screen with poor black levels and still no gorilla glass, then sure.

.Neo    1,834

If by better screen you mean a screen with poor black levels and still no gorilla glass, then sure.

No by better screen he probably means a resolution that blows away the competition, vibrant colors and brightness.

Stetson    180

Apple admits to using Corning products, in fact it's almost confirmed that they've been using gorilla glass since the first iPhone. They just don't advertise it.

satukoro    1,350

No by better screen he probably means a resolution that blows away the competition, vibrant colors and brightness.

Novo 7 tablet. 7" screen, 2160p. Point invalid.

Apple admits to using Corning products, in fact it's almost confirmed that they've been using gorilla glass since the first iPhone. They just don't advertise it.

If Apple were to use Corning gorilla glass, their devices' screens wouldn't crack when dropped or scratch as easily as they do. I see an iPod touch or iPhone with a destroyed screen way too often to believe they use gorilla glass.

.Neo    1,834

A simple Google search will tell you that tablet has a 800 x 480 pixel resolution screen?

• Like 1

Richard C.    289

If Apple were to use Corning gorilla glass, their devices' screens wouldn't crack when dropped or scratch as easily as they do. I see an iPod touch or iPhone with a destroyed screen way too often to believe they use gorilla glass.

my iPhone 4S has been dropped a few times, and I've tried to scratch it on purpose (to see how good this glass is) a few times too, no damage yet.