Has Apple Lost The Plot?

With our current level of technology we can produce a sheet of glass that will withstand a bomb explosion. To say "glass is glass" is just plain nonsense.

First of all, iPhones are all made with Gorilla glass since 2007. This can be confirmed easily around the web. Is the glass on the iPhone fragile ? Yes, because it cracks when it breaks. Will the new iPhone be fragile even with the newest And latest Gorilla glass 2 ? Of course.

After seeing blast resistant glass and bullet proof glass videos on YouTube, you'll come back to Earth and realize that glass is still fragile with our current level of technology, because it cracks when it breaks.

First of all, iPhones are all made with Gorilla glass since 2007. This can be confirmed easily around the web.

And we all know that everything on the Interwebz is true? Lol? Fact of the matter is that both companies involved in this refuse to give a straight answer, so in the end it's anyone's guess what exactly Apple's actually using.

Is the glass on the iPhone fragile ? Yes, because it cracks when it breaks. Will the new iPhone be fragile even with the newest And latest Gorilla glass 2 ? Of course.

What, it's fragile because it cracks when it breaks? So you're merely defining strength by looking at the way a material eventually gives way? That doesn't make any sense. :/ Compared to the aluminum back of the iPad or chrome back of the iPod I'd say the glass is the toughest part?

After seeing blast resistant glass and bullet proof glass videos on YouTube, you'll come back to Earth and realize that glass is still fragile with our current level of technology, because it cracks when it breaks.

Everything has a breaking point, so does steal, so does brick etc. If you want to you can create glass that's more resilient than other materials you initially expected to be stronger, not entirely sure why you are disputing this. You already see this on the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

And we all know that everything on the Interwebz is true? Lol? Fact of the matter is that both companies involved in this refuse to give a straight answer, so in the end it's anyone's guess what Apple's actually using.

If you read Steve Jobs biography it says they use Gorilla glass in that. He went to corning's business and spoke with their CEO on making the iPhone glass. It has quite a few stories in the book about it actually.

If you read Steve Jobs biography it says they use Gorilla glass in that. He went to corning's business and spoke with their CEO on making the iPhone glass. It has quite a few stories in the book about it actually.

I've read that story about Apple being the one to pull Gorilla Glass out of its mothballs after decades because even hardened plastic scratched too easily as well. However there have been reports that more recently Apple's also using something different compared to other companies. If you're asking Apple and CORNING whether this is the stuff begin used today you'll simply be ignored or receive a "no comment".

I've read that story about Apple being the one to pull Gorilla Glass out of its mothballs after decades because even hardened plastic scratched too easily as well. However there have been reports that more recently Apple's also using something different compared to other companies. If you're asking Apple and CORNING whether this is the stuff begin used today you'll simply be ignored or receive a "no comment".

In Apples recent supplier breakdown on their site they specifically list corning as supplier of glass for the iPhone.

The exact message from Apples own website "Corning employees in Kentucky and New York who create the majority of the glass for iPhone"

From the page here, just open it and search for Corning with your browser: http://www.apple.com...t/job-creation/

The reason they say that employees in Kentucky and New York create the majority and not -all- is because corning also have factories in Asia and supply Apple with glass from those factories also.

Fairly strange they won't give a straight answer whether or not Gorilla Glass is being used in that case. :/

The reason they say that employees in Kentucky and New York create the majority and not -all- is because corning also have factories in Asia and supply Apple with glass from those factories also.

There were some reports of another Japanese company being involved as well, weren't there? Maybe not for the iPhone, but iPod and iPad.

What, it's fragile because it cracks when it breaks? So you're merely defining strength by looking at the way a material eventually gives way? That doesn't make any sense. :/

This is the definition of the world fragile, .Neo. Look it up on Wikipedia if you don?t believe me. :/

It?s not the tech savvy person speaking inside of me, it?s the engineer. First of all, fragileness doesn?t have anything to do with strength. Second, the opposite of ductile is fragile. Glass is not ductile because it doesn?t plastify and it doesn?t bend a lot when you try to. It cracks. Thus, by definition, it is fragile.

Yet I've dropped my iPhone more times than I can imagine and it's not even scratched :p

As just a casual observer I have been thinking that a lot of their line is starting to look a little tired, in so much as there have been no truly new products now for a few years - just evolution on the existing stuff.

I mean, really it doesn't matter - I heard someone here say that Apple is now worth more than Poland.. so it's not like they're short of cash and are clearly still selling lots of stuff to lots of people.

As just a casual observer I have been thinking that a lot of their line is starting to look a little tired, in so much as there have been no truly new products now for a few years - just evolution on the existing stuff.

I mean, really it doesn't matter - I heard someone here say that Apple is now worth more than Poland.. so it's not like they're short of cash and are clearly still selling lots of stuff to lots of people.

Sticking with what works isn't really losing the plot either, just means they are happy where they are for the time being. Having said that the new iPhone / iPad / Mac range next year or year after may surprise again

This is the definition of the world fragile, .Neo. Look it up on Wikipedia if you don?t believe me. :/

Fragile also implies that something breaks easily, not purely the way how it breaks. Glass can in fact be durable opposed of being fragile. Check OS X' build-in Dictionary if you don't believe me.

• 2 weeks later...

That definition merely states:

fragile |?fraj?l, -?j?l|

adjective

(of an object) easily broken or damaged.

? flimsy or insubstantial; easily destroyed: you have a fragile grip on reality.

? (of a person) not strong or sturdy; delicate and vulnerable.

• 2 weeks later...

The point about the NY Times and DoJ is pretty valid. All this should have come up earlier, but it conveniently only happens after Jobs dies.

Except it's not for reasons already stated before.

Fragile also implies that something breaks easily, not purely the way how it breaks. Glass can in fact be durable opposed of being fragile. Check OS X' build-in Dictionary if you don't believe me.

fragile |?fraj?e - lee |

Noun

Italian in origin.

My Zune Hd has been deliberately thrown (as hard as I could muster) against the road to make a point to my friends with various iDevices. Not one scratch on the screen (the body however took a few nicks). Lets see an iPod touch do that.

Er ... no one throws their phones or MP3 players. Ever. Unless they're idiots. Which I guess ... err ... anyways. So I've dropped my iPhone 4 a few times on concrete and it's got a few scratches but it's fine.

So ... what was your monstrously stupid point again?

Er ... no one throws their phones or MP3 players. Ever. Unless they're idiots. Which I guess ... err ... anyways. So I've dropped my iPhone 4 a few times on concrete and it's got a few scratches but it's fine.

So ... what was your monstrously stupid point again?

Thank you, sincerely, for reviving a dead, previously resolved argument simply to question the motive I elaborated upon. This dreadfully benighted action seems to recur among pretentious iPhone owners who apparently cannot be bothered to look away from their "beautiful retina display" to read a few pages back in a thread.

who apparently cannot be bothered to look away from their "beautiful retina display" to read a few pages back in a thread.

Look away from the display to read a few pages back? Okay then...

Look away from the display to read a few pages back? Okay then...

Ah wow haha. My bad. I assumed that the thread was being read on a computer. You win this round... :shiftyninja:

Ah wow haha. My bad. I assumed that the thread was being read on a computer. You win this round... :shiftyninja:

Don't worry about it. As a pretentious new iPad owner it's exactly the frequent lapse in logic I came to expect from a Windows 8 DP user such as yourself. :)

Don't worry about it. As a pretentious new iPad owner it's exactly the frequent lapse in logic I came to expect from a Windows 8 DP user such as yourself. :)

It's okay, I've given that up too. After using Windows XP for a few weeks, I realize how much better the legacy desktop is.

Wow a Windows 8 DP user who had a moment of clarity. There might be hope yet for you!

Come over to the dark side satukoro? :shiftyninja:

Well rumors say that in June we will see a new iPhone. Probably an iPhone 5? Who knows, but I personally will not bother with it unless it has a bigger screen. If it doesn't have a bigger screen, then I am keeping my 4S.

Wow a Windows 8 DP user who had a moment of clarity. There might be hope yet for you!

Come over to the dark side satukoro? :shiftyninja:

Vista, 7, and 8 don't support my drawing tablet. It may have been a pain to find compatible drivers for my laptop, but XP is the only os I'll be using until I can afford an Intuos 4.