Streaming video Port?

I hope I got this right. If I am watching a streaming video on my PC how can I tell which port it is coming in on? The reason is some streaming video is on a smaller size picture that will not go to full screen and VLC can be made to show the video in full screen but I believe I need to know which port.

Hmmm not sure about that! If your streaming it over the web then it would just be port 80 generally. I dont think the port has anything to do with it.

this makes absolutely no sense to me, but to see what ports your computer is currently using and what you computer is currently connected to run this command in a cmd prompt

netstat -a

Here is what I am getting at.

I use TVU player to watch some channels. (TVU does not allow a full screen mode)

After the selected channel starts playing the program, I lower the volume on TVU player, then open VLC player and go to 'Media', then 'Advanced Open File', then 'Network' then I enter 'http://127.0.0.1:8901' in the URl and VLC player will then play the video that is in TVU and I can get the program in full screen on VLC player.

What I want to know is how can I find '8901' part as it is different on every web site tha has video on it.

well I gave you the command to find out. it is up to you to use it.

If that doesn't help try netstat -a -n

youtube uses port 80. this command shows all of the connections and ports that your computer is using to stay connected to whatever you are connecting to.

@wahoospa, @chuck.... i am trying the same thing with couple of sites.. for ex if i play youtube how do i know what port should i use? the netstat commd gives a whole list of active and listining ports... Also i have installed the latest VLC...

"if i play youtube how do i know what port"

"the netstat commd gives a whole list of active and listining ports"

The one connected to youtube ;)

netstat is built in tool that can show you what connections you machine has or is listening for, etc. But a better tool might be something like tcpview from MS

http://technet.micro...ernals/bb897437

Or from nirsoft http://www.nirsoft.n...ils/cports.html

Again not sure how ports come into play in trying to make a video bigger?

I still don't understand why more people don't use the Resource Monitor on Windows, it's most likely one of the best tools for the job on the platform ( Start/Run -> taskmgr -> Performance -> Resource Monitor) and from there you can view network connections, listening ports per application or globally.

VLC player only needs the link to do network streaming videos.

I still don't understand why more people don't use the Resource Monitor on Windows, it's most likely one of the best tools for the job on the platform ( Start/Run -> taskmgr -> Performance -> Resource Monitor) and from there you can view network connections, listening ports per application or globally.

Maybe they don't know. I didn't until now :p.

"best tools for the job on the platform"

You should prob look at the other tools available if that is what you believe, maybe that tool does not have the feature set that the other tools do.

For example compared to tcpview it does not show state of the connection, be it wait or syn_sent, etc. Can not directly view details of the process with the connection, can not directly close the connection, can not kill the process from the interface. Does not allow me to change refresh rate - does not color code new connection, closing connections, etc..

You are correct that would work for the users needs -- but in general, reason people don't use a tool vs another tool is features ;)

You should prob look at the other tools available if that is what you believe, maybe that tool does not have the feature set that the other tools do.

Considering the needs of almost every single person on this forum, it's way more than enough.

I'll rephrase it as "the best tool for the job that ships with the platform".

Considering the needs of almost every single person on this forum, it's way more than enough

Your rephrase of tool that ships is great, and I agree with it for sure. But as to it be way more than enough for every single person on this forum.. Sorry but no, it does not meet my needs by a long shot ;) And there are few others on the forum as well, that might find it lacking as well -- not many but a few. Don't get me wrong its great strides over the stuff that was in XP, -- for what it shows me, I would prob just do a netstat before all those clicks to get to that screen.. I can do a netstat much faster, etc.

Also this is not available to every version of windows. Xp, for instance, does not have it. netstat is avail for all current versions of windows. And the tools that budman has posted is available if you know how to use an internet browser.

but netstat would be as useful as you could need for this. if you do a netstat -a -n -b it shows all connected ports by ip address and associated executable. just an example, formatting lost by pasting.

UDP 0.0.0.0:445 *:* 4

[system]

UDP 127.0.0.1:1033 *:* 660

[iTunesHelper.exe]

UDP 127.0.0.1:1026 *:* 476

[AppleMobileDeviceService.exe]

UDP 127.0.0.1:1892 *:* 2188

[PropertySync.exe]

UDP 127.0.0.1:1034 *:* 660

[iTunesHelper.exe]

UDP 127.0.0.1:123 *:* 1616

c:\windows\system32\WS2_32.dll