Bear Grylls sacked by Discovery Channel

Bear Grylls sacked by Discovery Channel

TV adventurer Bear Grylls, star of the survival show Man vs. Wild, has been sacked by the Discovery Channel.

The US channel said: "Due to a continuing contractual dispute with Bear Grylls, Discovery has terminated all current productions with him."

Grylls, who has presented the show since 2006, is known for eating insects and drinking animal urine in the wild.

His publicist confirmed the move saying they could not reach a "mutual agreement on new programming".

'Great risks'

Heather Krug told the Hollywood Reporter: "Bear's goal has always been to make life-empowering shows for his many fans around the globe, and he has taken great risks to bring Discovery such award-winning programming over seven seasons.

"Unfortunately, Bear and Discovery have not been able to come to mutual agreement on new programming, and he disagrees with Discovery's decision to terminate current productions.

"Bear has loved the Man vs. Wild journey and looks forward to producing further cutting edge content again soon for his loyal audience."

Man vs. Wild, which is broadcast in the UK as Born Survivor, revolves around Grylls being dropped into remote parts of the world, and showing the audience how to survive using only materials he finds in the wild.

The show, which is now in its sixth series, is broadcast in nearly 200 territories around the world.

It attracted some A-list celebrity fans including actors Jake Gyllenhaal and Will Ferrell who tagged along on some of Grylls' adventures.

In 2008, he apologised for misleading viewers for an episode which saw him supposedly abandoned in the wilderness - a programme consultant later claimed he had stayed in a motel.

"If people felt misled on how the first series was represented, I'm really sorry for that," Grylls told the BBC.

Writing on Twitter, Grylls said: "Super proud of my team and all they've built with Man Vs Wild. Looking forward to the next set of Adventures!! "

Thanking fans, he added: "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Grylls had also worked on another survival-based series for Discovery called Worst Case Scenarios, which placed him in the imagined aftermath of both natural and man-made disasters.

He continues to be the Scout Association's Chief Scout.

Source: BBC News

Personally I prefered Survivor Man. Man vs. Wild was okay, but a bit extreme and a bit more than a person would do. Not everyone has the stomach to eat a live frog, or bite the head off a rat. Les Stroud (survivor man) was his own crew, he did all his own cameras, and was literally alone. He wouldn't just eat random ****, if he didn't think it would taste good he wouldn't eat it.. like a normal person.

• Like 2

Personally I prefered Survivor Man. Man vs. Wild was okay, but a bit extreme and a bit more than a person would do. Not everyone has the stomach to eat a live frog, or bite the head off a rat. Les Stroud (survivor man) was his own crew, he did all his own cameras, and was literally alone. He wouldn't just eat random ****, if he didn't think it would taste good he wouldn't eat it.. like a normal person.

+1000 to this... Survivor Man was more legit. Bear would do stuff that you know Les Stroud would have a cow over as well as put lives in danger. Also don't forget about Dual Survival....

I have to say I'm glad this show isn't on television anymore. It's completely unrealistic and down right stupid at times.

+1000 to this... Survivor Man was more legit. Bear would do stuff that you know Les Stroud would have a cow over as well as put lives in danger. Also don't forget about Dual Survival....

Dual Survival is an excellent program. I can't give enough plus ones.

• Like 1

I've never actually heard of Dual Survival. I've heard of a show called Man Woman VS Wild or something.

Les Stroud made another show called "Beyond Survival", it's on Netflix now. It's a pretty good show also.

Yea I saw it, but it wasn't nearly as good as the first show.

Disappointing. I watch Mythbusters and Born Survivor most evenings in the week and I really enjoy them.. even if normally when I'm tucking into my dinner, is when something is being eaten alive or skinned!

I'm sure he'll get picked up by another channel soon enough - the programme is very entertaining!

are these shows popular anymore? :huh:

Yea for sure, it's that sense of adventure that a lot of people find interesting.

I always loved watching both shows, and never feel the need to compare them. Stroud was hardly alone out there, as the rescue crew was always close by, and in daily contact with him. Its not like he is just dropped in and doesn't know the turf either. All the locations were scouted out, and the activities he did in each episode are planned. That being said, I've always learned things from both of these guys.

And in case anyone didn't know, Survivorman is coming back. They are filming 4 hour long shows, but this time he is "stranded" for ten days instead of the seven they normally did.

Survivorman was an idiot surviving mostly by dumb luck and his stupid "I don't wanna kill anything to survive" mentality. And he ate rotten fish instead of actually hunting, that's not just stupid that suicidal.

Agreed, he truly was amazing.

His shows have always confused me as much as why one would voluntarily go camping - lets leave the comfort of every day life and go back in time 3,000 years! yeah, smart idea! urban people unable to do something constructive so they adopt a set of stupid activities and label them 'adventure'.

Also don't forget about Dual Survival....

Dual Survival is an excellent program. I can't give enough plus ones.

Downloaded and watched the first Two Episodes. Currently downloading the rest of S1 and S2. It's a really good show, I like that it's not all dumbed down, and they are legit survivors and will say when stuff is gross or not will not eat it. Cody is nuckin futs though. Shorts all the time, no shoes. I wince in pain if I step on a driveway on a hot day and my feet get all hot. Dude scales mountains, and glaciers in wool socks. Mind you he is also built like a fricken truck.

Dave is cool too, I like how things he is awesome at Cody learns and vice versa. They are more about showing that it can be done than how to actually do it, and doing things that a normal person could do or would do.